Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Famvir (famcicolvir) during 2nd and 3rd trimester - safe to take?

(2 Posts)
blushingbertie Tue 21-Jun-11 17:37:20

I'm an unfortunate sufferer from recurrent herpes (roughly 3/4 times a year). I had a flare-up during the first trimester and my ob/gyn said it was safe to take so I took the usual 5 day dose and it cleared up as usual.

I'm now 17 weeks and have been feeling as if I am about to have a flare-up for the last week but nothing's come through for definite yet. My ob/gyn is away for a few weeks and the advice from one of the GPs is that it's a category b drug (tested safely on animals but not yet humans) and so to err on the side of caution and not take it.

So, two questions for any fellow sufferers out there:
1) Have you ever taken it during pregnancy and baby and you have been ok?
2) Have you had a flare-up and not taken it and have the lesions/symptoms eventually gone away by themselves?

Appreciate that this is a fairly sensitive subject, so if you would prefer to PM a response, please feel free.

Thank you VERY much in advance for your help.

blushingbertie Wed 22-Jun-11 07:10:11

Cheeky bump....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now