Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring small at 36 weeks. Going for Growth Scan. Any words of advice?

(7 Posts)
Pixelmama Tue 21-Jun-11 17:13:06

Today I have been told that I am still measuring small (33 at 36 weeks). I have been referred for a 'growth scan'. This is my second pregnancy... I feel like I am a similar size to last time. DS weighed 7lb 8oz and I was quite slender pre pregnancy. Trying not to stress out. Has anybody else experienced this?

valbona Tue 21-Jun-11 18:45:54

I was measuring easily that small at the same time and they kept muttering about scans but in the end said that as I was quite tall (only 5 foot nine, not mega tall) they probably wouldn't. My DD was 8lb in the end ...

The whole fundal height thing seems like the least exact science in the world. I am sure your scan will be fine - you probably had an extra-keen MW or something. Good luck!

canibe Tue 21-Jun-11 18:52:00

Try not worry for now, they did this to me. I can not remember measurement but think I was measuring 4 weeks less than I should have.

When I had scan the next morning they could see my daughters head was just so low down in my pelvis (almost fully engaged) that they could not feel her head which explained why I was measuring less thab I was. They also told me that she was only going to be able 6lbs which worried me as your babies generally get bigger and she is my third but she came two days past her due date and was 8lbs 5ozs so they can be totally wrong.

Not sure how they guess weight anyway. I think they said thety go by their bottoms and she was very long so I guess her weight waas distributed hence her small bottom smile

So try and not stress for now, its always best to check and nice to have an extra scan too smile

x

Armi Tue 21-Jun-11 19:24:55

If it's any consolation, I was supposedly measuring big for dates, went for a scan last week and was told I was measuring small. I think they just make it up for something to do!

Pixelmama Tue 21-Jun-11 19:34:08

Thanks. You have all made me feel much better.

xx

ipredicttrouble Tue 21-Jun-11 20:20:58

I have to wonder how accurate this measuring the bump with a tape measure is. I've been having growth scans throughout my pregnancy done by a consultant. This was due to a problem picked up at the 20wk scan. I'm scanned by a consultant each time.

However, my midwife still insists on getting the tape measure out at every appointment and insisting that I'm measuring fine even though I know that my baby is small.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is try to relax and wait and see what the scan says.

otchayaniye Tue 21-Jun-11 20:34:37

I had one yesterday and it was good news. I had first daughter and preeclampsia so she was early so I was under consultants for this one. Measured 50th centile on scans at 23 weeks, but dropped to 25-30 at 28 weeks. Had a worrisome 2-week wait having been told 'not to worry .... yet' but yesterday growth was on track and blood pressure normal.

I have also not put any weight on at all this pregnancy (having put on 4 stone with my first)

I weighed 9 stone pre pregnancy, lost a stone and am back at 9 stone at 31 weeks. Weird! I also measure ever so slightly smaller than average on my bump, but within range.

Good luck. I was anxiously preparing for IUGR and early delivery but looks good now and don't have a scan for another 4 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now