Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slings...

(27 Posts)
Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:02:48

I'm 22+2 with my first and am very clueless over lots of things still!
Would a sling be worth getting?
Did/do you use one a lot?
Has anyone any recommedations?
Thanks for any advice smile

G1nger Tue 21-Jun-11 11:06:52

My friend strongly recommends Freedom Slings. They even work with her 2.5 year old child, who she strapped in to look really, really comfortable, as was she. I'll be getting one - they're only about £27.

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:10:19

Thank you G1nger. Will have a look at them. smile

Ulysses Tue 21-Jun-11 11:16:27

Hi, I got a Babasling while pg, but when newborn baby came along I just couldn't get the hang of it. I went to our local pram centre where there's a woman who sells a few brands of sling and ended up with a Close Baby Carrier. It's a hybrid of a ring sling and a stretchy wrap and is such is very easy to put on (it helps to do it in front of a mirror for the first few times though). It's been a life saver and is so handy when going out and about and saves having to get the pram in and out the car, as you can just keep it on. It comes with an extra wrap to give additional support but it isn't necessary to wear all the time, though has a pouch which comes in handy for stuff if you are just popping out to the shops.

I have done so much while wearing it, in and around the house too, painting the fence, hanging out washing and just getting on.

The Close Baby Carrier was £65 so pricier than say a moby wrap, but I am sure you can pick up one on ebay for cheaper. To be honest, this was much more of a necesary purchase than the pram that I bought and in hindsight I wish just went for a cheaper buggy. DD is 12 weeks and I use it every day as I have an older DD to run after too.

Good luck in your search, though I would recommend you get someone to show you how to use one before you commit.

nannyl Tue 21-Jun-11 11:17:05

im planning on getting a mei tai.

i am just making sure i DONT get a baby bjorn or shops own similar, cause there are so many better slings out there, which are much more supportive and comfortable for the child (and mummy!)

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:22:01

Thank you so much for the advice.
Does anyone know which Freedom sling would be good?
Will definitely look at Close Baby Carrier and Mei tai.

spatchcock Tue 21-Jun-11 11:23:44

I made one - it's a bit like a Kari Me (or whatever they're called). Just a strip of fabric, it cost me £7 to make two. No sewing involved.

Unfortunately I've only ever used it on a soft toy as baby's not due for another couple of weeks!

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:28:27

Thank you spatchcock I don't think I'm clever enough to do that and would probably end up with a baby slipping out of it, but I could see how making it yourself would be a good idea.

BertieBotts Tue 21-Jun-11 11:41:49

It's really easy to make a stretchy wrap - no sewing required - and impossible to get wrong - the ones like a moby are just long strips of material anyway.

Stretchy wraps are my favourite type of carrier for newborns. They are really easy to use too as you get them secure before putting the baby in. If you don't want to make one, This company make really cheap ones.

BertieBotts Tue 21-Jun-11 11:42:08

(cheap but good quality)

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:43:19

Thank you BertieBotts. I'll look at their site.

LisMcA Tue 21-Jun-11 11:53:12

Ds is 8 weeks and I would be lost without my Moby Wrap. He settles instantly in it if he's been grizzling. Plus it gives me 2 hands to do things even if we are just slobbing on the sofa!

What I would recommend is going to a sling meet up. Check you NCT website. Give you the chance to try different slings beofre you buy. And try to do that beofre your bump gets too big or you don't get the fit and feel right.

BTW I tried to buy a freedom sling and it appeared they had gone out of business. It could have just been a problem with the website though.

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:55:44

Thank you for that LisMcA.
I had no idea there might be a sling meet up! Will definitely try to go if I can find one.

Mole007 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:57:41

Never sure what to do about this one! Am due in 5 weeks and, having a toddler running 'round the house, think a sling woudl be ideal, but not being small chested (well, let's be honest about this....being stuck with a massive chest sad), am never sure whether a sling would work, and whether the baby would end up wedged between both boobs, or perched on top, with both of us uncomfy, and even more of a strain on my back/shoulders?!

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 12:01:00

I have the same problem with a big chest Mole007.
Did you use a sling with your other DC?

LisMcA Tue 21-Jun-11 12:04:38

40G here post natal Mole007, Ds's head kinda sits on top of boob while in the sling. I think the wrap type might be better for you if youare like me, less structured so you can shoogle into a comfortable hold.

My moby wrap spreads the weight accross both shoulders too and I have an old shoulder injury that so far(touches wood) hasn't been aggrivated.

I will say though it does take a bit of practice to tie the wrap and be confident it's doen right, but once you get it, it takes minutes to wrap and plonk baby in.

Secondtimelucky Tue 21-Jun-11 12:34:34

Mole- I am amply endowed (ahem), especially when breastfeeding and two stone overweight from my biscuit obsession during pregnancy! Boobs are not a problem- the baby kind of nuzzles into them. You generally put their head to one side slightly anyway.

I had a Close for DD1. For DD2 I have invested in a Didymos. This is a woven wrap. It's not stretchy, so a bit harder to get the hang of than a stretchy wrap, but a similar principle. It's a big long strip of fabric that you can do a million things with. It appealed to me because I wanted more flexibility than the Close offered me, and the 'tails' you are left with on a Close annoyed me a bit. A woven wrap should also keep me going longer than a stretchy wrap - as they get heavier the stretch can make the weight drag a bit.

I would also reinforce the comment about steering clear of BabyBjorn. I have no idea how they have corned the market so much. They are not ergonomically great for baby or parent.

shuckleberryfinn Tue 21-Jun-11 12:38:05

Im a 34K, my little one goes everywhere in a ring sling. Hands free feeding took some mastering though.

otchayaniye Tue 21-Jun-11 13:08:18

Hi, I used slings and wraps so much I never bought a pram or buggy for my daughter, who's 2-3/4 now. And I've been been back carrying her for any naps out and about throughout my pregnancy. Not planning on buying one for this baby either.

I like stretchy wraps for newborns, there are makes (Moby etc) but you can byu 5 metres of interlock jersey (no need to seam) and cut it in two (along the long length and get two wraps (one for the wash). On eBay you can get some quite jazzy fabric -- not the mud/stone/organic goop coloured stuff you often get from sling makers.

I'd then turn to non-stretchy wraps from about 4 months. I have a Didymos and a Girasol (in lovely grey stripes, very classy and not at all like jugglers' trousers) and because I lived in the tropics, a hot weather Calin Bleu gauze one.

I've also used the ergo (my husband's favoured choice for older baby) and then a Boba, which is for 18-24 months onwards, as it has a high back. These are quick to put on an look manly (although some chavs once accosted my husband -- he's a SAHD -- and called him a 'gay c*nt' when he was out and about with our daughter. The ergo and boba can be easily used on the back when they get bigger.

They are good for calming, good for getting stuff done without having to put your baby down. You can breastfeed on the move (I've done it in all sorts of places walking about) and getting them to nap. My daughter never napped in a bed, only feeding me or in the wrap.

I've never needed a pram, I get everything in a Longchamps Pliage (the one with the long shoulder drop) and slip whatever coat I like over the top.

You don't have to be a hippy (I'm a designer shallow fashion victim), have back muscles of steel or possess a small poitrine to both enjoy a sling. One friend has taken to them and has bad scoliosis. Really, a good supportive wrap carry is more comfortable than late pregancy, IMO.

The other benefit is that the resell for about as much as you pay. I've seen used Ergos go for 90 quid on eBay when you can buy them for 80.

Babywearer.com is a good site for a trawl and advice. Some on there are fans of lentils and it's US-centric, so some makes you'll have to buy online.

People advise slingmeets too, although I'm frankly scared of that shit!

Avoid Babybjorns. They are about as bad as slings get. Expensive, can only be used for small babies, and they don't offer decent support. And whatever you do don't turn the baby face out. What IS that about!

Mole007 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:37:41

Renaissance227, I didn't, and didn't feel the need at the time. Just feel that a sling would give more flxibility with DC2 (DS1 is 21 months and I am determined not to buy/use/borrow/need a double buggy!).

Shuckleberryfinn, Secondtimelucky and LisMcA, thanks for that reassurance. I normally drift along at an H/HH, escalating up to K plus whilst breastfeeding, so that reassurance is great, and am now going to do some surfing!

BertieBotts Tue 21-Jun-11 13:40:22

I can't believe I forgot to suggest a slingmeet grin I help run our local one. They're not that scary, honest smile It's a good opportunity to try out several different types of sling if you are nervous or on a budget, as many are only available to buy online. Resale value is all well and good but it's daunting to spend £90 on something you've never seen and aren't sure whether you'll get on with.

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:45:04

Thank you for that otchayaniye.
Just wondering, would I really need so many different slings for different ages? Not on a massive budget sling-wise!

Renaissance227 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:46:32

Thank you BertieBotts. Will definitely look for a sling meet. smile

BertieBotts Tue 21-Jun-11 13:58:57

You don't need lots and lots of slings, it's just they can get addictive grin There are 4 of us running our local slingmeet, and 2 have loads of slings, the other 2 of us just have one or two.

I think it's worth getting one sling for the newborn stage up to anywhere from 6 months to a year, and then another one for after that, at the very least. Only because most slings which are suitable for newborns and easy to use aren't suitable for older babies. You can get slings which will do all age groups - Mei Tais are good for this, as are woven wraps. In theory if you had one of these you may never need another sling. The only other thing you might decide to get is something very quick and easy to use such as a ring sling or pouch, to use around the house or for quick trips out or for toddlers who want to walk but get tired quickly.

otchayaniye Tue 21-Jun-11 14:41:49

Renaissance I'd just get a stretchy and see how you go.

I have a few because I used to live in the tropics (so needed a gauze) and also because we both share care of our daughter and both have different preferences (I like wraps, husband likes structured carriers) and we don't own a buggy.

But yes, worth trying at a slingmeet. Sorry Bertie, my friend told me tales of them that put me off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now