Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Heartburn at 27 weeks

(16 Posts)
Sumi76 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:58:30

Im 27w and started getting severe heartburn yesterday sad Pls help with suggestions to help reduce it.

hubbahubster Mon 20-Jun-11 20:01:02

Oooh I feel your pain. Mine's worse when I don't eat regularly, and I find strawberry Gaviscon tablets a godsend.

nannyl Mon 20-Jun-11 20:01:54

get some gaviscon (free if dr prescribes it) and i swear by lovehearts (or refreshers) made of the same chalky stuff as rennies, but taste nice.

also sleep on lots of pillows and dont eat to soon before bed.

I eat nothing for 2 hours before bed except
love hearts 1 hour before
and gavison at bed time... which to me does help (mostly) (Im 28 weeks)

buttonmoon78 Tue 21-Jun-11 07:52:03

Sleep on lots of pillows, drink a small glass of milk before bed, eat little and often (being empty is as bad as being too full!), avoid acidic & fatty foods.

Mine was getting so much worse (ie waking up several times a night with a mouthful of stomach acid) that my consultant prescribed ranitidine. I take it twice a day and it's wonderful!

Bumpsadaisie Tue 21-Jun-11 14:57:33

Omeprazole (wonder drug!) backed up by prescription only Gaviscon Advance liquid. Sleep on several pillows rather than flat.

KittyChat Tue 21-Jun-11 16:55:29

I second omeprazole. I found I've only needed to take one tablet every two days and it does the trick.

candr Tue 21-Jun-11 17:59:25

Hate Gaviscon so have mint Rennies which work well within a couple of minutes. It is such a horrible sicky feeling I was relieved to find out it was heartburn and more relived to get rid of it.

mrspants Tue 21-Jun-11 18:05:35

Oh, sorry to hear that. It is so crap. There are several things safe in prgncy and not one thing helps all, I personally swore by rennie soft chews with both mine.
I found Gaviscon far too gloopy and stuff from doc, well it was beyond bad.
Prescriptions are free but they will probably give you something cheap rather than palatable.
I'm afraid you have 13 weeks left so find what works now and it's one less discomfort. All above re positions etc help.
Good luck

VioletV Tue 21-Jun-11 18:21:54

None of the above has worked for me and I'm 36+4. I suffered with it even when I hadn't eaten! And I'm unsure as to how having several pillows will make any difference.

I use Rennie soft chews as they are prob the nicest thing you can buy and a huge glass of milk will help it when going to bed.

lizandlulu Tue 21-Jun-11 19:03:32

i find milk is the only thing that works for mesmile

clairefromsteps Tue 21-Jun-11 19:30:42

I've had rotten heartburn this time round - changing eating patterns did nothing to help, sadly. I started off with normal Rennies which seemed to work OK, but then the woman in the pharmacy said to try Gaviscon liquid, as this would soothe your oesophagus and create a 'layer' of liquid over the top of your stomach. I found it worked well, but I was unable to get over the sperm-like appearance and consistency of Gaviscon, so I tried the gaviscon duo tablets, which work a treat.

Sumi76 Tue 21-Jun-11 23:04:09

Thanks all for all your inputs...went and bought Gaviscon...pray it helps !

AppleyEverAfter Tue 21-Jun-11 23:07:35

I have it off and on (I'm 26 weeks) and am allergic to Gaviscon, would you believe! So I've been drinking peppermint tea, which I stocked up on during the early sickness period. It does seem to help, along with sitting upright, but that's not much help when you're trying to get to sleep!!

NewMummy5July2011 Wed 22-Jun-11 08:34:22

I've had it throughout and gone through loads of rennies and gaviscon. I find milk ice lollies are great as well, as is ice cream, yogurt and milk. I find it worse when I haven't eaten in a while.

Sumi - you should get your maternity exemption card so you can get the big bottles for free on prescription.

Bumpsadaisie Wed 22-Jun-11 08:44:25

Can I just say again how great Omeprazole is? Its licensed as safe in pregnancy too now.

Don't suffer for ages - make your GP prescribe you some! I suffered for weeks last time round, but this time round as soon as it made an unwelcome appearance I was off to the doctor like a shot.

If I don't take it I am awake all night with acid indigestion/heartburn. By taking one a day I can lie flat and not be woken up at all (except by baby!)

Aloha31 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:38:15

Milk with ice!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: