Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Recommended pregnancy tests

(17 Posts)
bmm39 Mon 20-Jun-11 16:52:05

Do you think that some tests are better than others? If so, which one is the best?

kri5ty Mon 20-Jun-11 17:03:46

I used first response as its the one that can detect it earliest x x

RickGhastley Mon 20-Jun-11 17:17:20

I think all tests will pick up a pregnancy sooner or later but the more expensive (clearblue, first response) will often show a positive sooner than the cheapies. And I think some people find the smiley face ones are a bit easier than trying to look for a line in the vv early days

I used Boots or Tesco cheapies for all 3 of my PGs and got faint lines at just 1 or 2 days late

ShowOfHands Mon 20-Jun-11 17:23:04

There are a lot of myths around about this.

The cheapies are actually more sensitive in a lot of cases than the more expensive ones. Certainly the poundland, amazon, ebay (access diagnostics tests for example) are MUCH more sensitive than clearblue. First Response, does not detect earlier than other tests either. Cheapies for example often detect 10miu of hcg, Clearblue detects 25miu, so cheapies are MUCH more sensitive.

You're often paying for packaging tbh.

I always tested at 8dop (a week before my period was due) with cheap tests.

But once your period is late, they're all much of a muchness. The only ones I'd advise against are the +/- ones.

ShowOfHands Mon 20-Jun-11 17:23:36

*8dpo

babycarmen Mon 20-Jun-11 18:05:52

Ive always used First Response and found them really good, always get a strong clear line smile

d0gFace Mon 20-Jun-11 18:42:39

Asda pretty cheap and much better than First response/Clear blue imo.

2BlackCats Tue 21-Jun-11 18:56:45

I second the poundland tests, much better value for money and gave an earlier result than Clear Blue Digital, Ist Response earlier result than clear Blue Digital but it wasn't earlier than the poundland tests as far as I remember. The poundland ones do the job and you will save yourself a fortune. The only difference is that there is less packaging in my opinion! obviously the result was the same in the end whichever test - next time I will stick to only the poundland tests following from my research this time!

clairefromsteps Tue 21-Jun-11 19:35:40

I've always bought the cheapest one I could find because I am a tightwad of the opinion that the money could be better spent buying some of the many many items a newborn seems to need.

What does make a difference is when you do the test. If you do it with an early morning wee (ie one that's been brewing all night) it will have a higher concentration of hormones and will give you a stronger line.

Elizabeth32 Wed 22-Jun-11 20:03:14

Tesco's cheapest test (2 in one pack) showed very faint lines on the due date of my period. Clear blue digital one is also a very good one as you dont need to make out the line. It will simply tell you if you ar pregnant or not.

puzzletree Wed 22-Jun-11 20:56:37

I've always used the cheapo supermarket or superdrug own brand tests and got a clear positive on them on period due date.

PinkFondantFancy Thu 23-Jun-11 07:38:07

First response, and then clear blue digital if not a clear-cut result.

melliebobs Thu 23-Jun-11 09:18:53

i found first response to be rubbish. I did 1 the day before expected AF and one the day AF was due. Both big fat negatives. Both of these were done with FMU. So that ws £8 down the gutter. Did a Sainsburies one the day AF was due in the middle of the afternoon. BFP. Branded one's are a con

soundofherwings Thu 23-Jun-11 09:29:41

I used internet cheapies bought off amazon (25 for £7 I think). They were great- gave me a positive at 8dpo (in the afternoon!) but it was incredibly faint, although I think I can blame that on my own impatience rather than the test.

outthere Thu 23-Jun-11 09:44:49

I'm a peestick addict and I can certainly vouch for the Poundland tests.

They seemed really sensitive (got a posisitve on my 3rd DC well before Tesco "sensitive") and are super cheap so you can buy a whole load of them grin.

I got my first positive with those at 11 dpo...

Just buy some cheap plasctic cups to dip them in and throw away after use...

Good luck!

Pussinflatboots Thu 23-Jun-11 10:55:29

I used superdrug cheapies on a bogof. They detected the BFP 4 days before my missed period smile

BellasYummyMummy Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:11

always used first response (and loads others) but found them to be the best, line always clear and i tested 6 days early...!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now