Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lucozade

(41 Posts)
deo357 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:16:49

Do u think one can / bottle of lucozade a day whilst preg is ok ??

dribbleface Mon 20-Jun-11 11:18:09

I would have thought so. its the only thing that stopped me being sick in the early weeks. Had a quick look and didn't appear to high in caffeine (is that whats worrying you?)

d0gFace Mon 20-Jun-11 11:19:11

I hope so, its my latest craving.shock

Pesha Mon 20-Jun-11 11:23:16

Was also only thing that stopped me being sick in last pg. Didn't work for me early on this time round but now in last trimester I have been having a small bottle most mornings and it def helps stop the puking so I hope its fine!

I particularly like the cherry one!

deo357 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:54:55

phew - just checking addicted to freezing cold cans ! but only allow myself 1 each day !!!! hubby said it will giveme a diabetic baby !!!!

nannyl Mon 20-Jun-11 11:58:32

when was really sick there were about 3 days where it was the ONLY thing i could keep down at all.

when choosing between dehydration (& another trip to hospital) and lucozade i opted for lucozade!

kri5ty Mon 20-Jun-11 12:29:13

i think its safe, just not too much as all the sugar in it can cause diabetes etc (as if we needed another worry), but i guess it should be ok until you can start stomaching other stuff?

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 20-Jun-11 12:30:39

I was drinking it for a few weeks to help with the sickness. Not drinking it now and will also be under the watchful eye of the diabetic bastards clinic.

Won't give you a diabetic baby at all!

kri5ty Mon 20-Jun-11 12:53:51

ooo thats good to know... i stopped drinking it as everyone was sayig about diabetes etc... woo hooo i have been dreaming about it, and shall now partake in drinking again!!

mummyzoe2012 Thu 30-Jun-11 12:18:28

ive been adviced to have a bottle of lucozade a day to keep my blood preasure up! X

babyonbord Thu 30-Jun-11 12:32:18

i don't like it - que shocked faces from everyone but was advised to take it for my bp, so my dh makes me drink it once a day bleugh sorry i'm really not a fan but i don't think it will do any harm, energy drinks like red bull and relentless on the other hand.... that relentless has a warning that it's not to be consumed by pregnant women i find that slightly alarming lol

H007 Thu 30-Jun-11 12:41:20

My mum drank it everytime she felt sick when she was pregnant with me. She constantly had a bottle at arms reach. There's nowt wrong with me smile

I tried it too it the hope it would help me in the first 3 months.... Helped for about two days then didn't sad

rooks14 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:22:25

it was the only thing that i could handle during morning sickness!

benne81 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:41:01

No No NO! Lucozade is liquid sugar and you run the risk of gestational diabetes if you drink too much of it. Gestational diabetes occurs when the body can't produce enough insulin to cope with the changes of being pregnant and therefore you have high blood sugar - don't make the body work even harder by plying yourself with lucozade! If you have gestational diabetes your baby will receive more sugar from your blood stream and becomes a large baby, have more difficult deliveries and complications and their blood sugar can drop significantly following delivery as it will stop being linked up to your sugary bloodstream. Obviously I'm not saying avoid sugar completely but be sensible (one bottle of lucozade contains 21 teaspoons of sugar). Your at more risk of gestational diabetes if there is a family history of diabetes, depends on your ethinicity, if you have had a prev stillbirth or large baby and these people should be especially careful. Anyway rant over - sorry!

nannyl Thu 30-Jun-11 14:38:46

agree benne

BUT when you have HG and lucozade is the ONLY thing you can keep down, and you are facing an uphill battle to not be admitted to hospital with dehydration again you may not have a choice.
Many people who are very very sick find that lucozade, or full fat coke or similar (and basically sugar + water + crap) is the ONLY thing that they can keep in their stomach, and if thats the case you need to just go with it!

benne81 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:00:34

I understand your point of view nannyl (never had HG but do understand that it is horrendous) but the OP just has a craving and therefore I would definitely advise restraint!

Also mummyzoe2012 - definitely wouldn't advise lucozade to keep blood pressure up - will not help keep your bp up anymore than drinking go old water.

KaraJS Thu 30-Jun-11 15:21:08

It won't give you gestational diabetes, lucozade is not going to effect how your pancreas works! Gestational diabetes is thought to be caused by hormones that are produced while you are pregnant

benne81 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:31:18

KaraJS - No obviously lucozade doesn't affect how the pancras works but gestation diabetes occurs because the body cannot produce enough insulin (from the pancras) to meet the extra needs of pregnancy. Therefore placing extra pressure on the pancras to produce enough insulin to counteract the increase requirements of excessive sugar (from a bottle of lucozade a day) is going to put you at greater risk of gestational diabetes. It won't give you diabetes but places you at higher risk of developing gestational diabetes esp if you are in the higher risk catergories - just be sensible. I'm sure you wouldn't have a bottle of lucozade a day usually so if possible avoid it whilst your pregnant.

mummyzoe2012 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:43:56

well thats what i thort but the advice came from the hosbital i drike a small glass a day so a small bottle lasts a few days and its does actually seam to of worked!

KaraJS Thu 30-Jun-11 15:47:29

If you are likely to get gd then lucozade wouldn't be good if you are in the high risk category your mw would tell you what to avoid, I'm tested for gd every time I'm pregnant due to my 1st being 11lb2, I've never had it and have been told that what I eat or drink isn't going to cause it. Obviously like at any time pregnant or not moderation is the key, your mw should check your urine for sugars whenever you have an appointment,

benne81 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:50:20

Glad to here that your doing well. Whoever told you that advice was wrong - was it a midwife or a doctor? I know its difficult but maybe worth mentioning to a senior member of the midwifery/obstetric team so that they don't give out poor/dangerous advice to other women.

Sorry to harp on but this sort of advice makes my blood boil (& I'm officially trying to avoid all the boring work I'm meant to be doing today but posting on MN all afternoon!)

mummyzoe2012 Thu 30-Jun-11 16:02:29

it was a doctor on materity ward.

benne81 Thu 30-Jun-11 16:22:13

Well ignore him/her and inform your consultant (hopefully it wasn't the consultant!)

KaraJS Thu 30-Jun-11 16:50:22

Low bp can be caused by a drop in blood sugar levels, if your blood sugar level is low causing bp to drop your doctor will have advised you to have the lucozade to boost sugar levels therefore raising your bp

LittleLH Thu 30-Jun-11 17:00:55

Lucozade seems to be the only thing that keeps me going at work (500ml bottle of original flavour, mmm!) My MW hasn't mentioned anything about high sugar levels in my wee yet. I'm 15 weeks and still feel dizzy/faint towards the end of the day. Some days I feel like I won't make it to the bus stop without a bar of chocolate!
Benne81 - where do you get your info? It seems that if doctors and mws are saying it's ok, it's probably ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now