Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron supplements how long till they take effect?

(6 Posts)
fatbottomgirl Mon 20-Jun-11 11:12:19

Ok so I got a phone call from midwife this morning, she said my Iron levels were too low (although never gave me the figure) and has given me some iron tablets which I have just picked up.

I am guessing this explains my complete exhaustion and breathlessness. I was wondering does anyone know how long they take to have an effect and whether this will have an effect on my homebirth (i am 34 weeks today).

Do i need to find out what my levels are ?

mojoawol Mon 20-Jun-11 12:28:15

It might depend on your existing iron levels - I was prescribed iron a couple of weeks ago. My levels had dropped dramatically for me, they were still not at a level at which iron would usually be prescribed but because they were much lower than usual for me, my midwife prescribed them.

I noticed a difference within about 24 hours - like you, I had been feeling extremely exhausted and drained, and by the next day felt energy levels were back up again.

I would see how you get on in a day or two, and if you don't notice a change, you could speak to the midwife again about whether you need to up the dose dependent on your levels

msbuggywinkle Mon 20-Jun-11 12:47:08

Here's the information on iron and homebirth

Other things to try are cooking all your food in a cast iron pan (hugely ups the iron content of food!), taking spatone, having some orange juice when you take your iron tablets (vit c increases iron absorbtion)

fatbottomgirl Mon 20-Jun-11 16:08:42

Hi, thanks for the advice, have been and got some orange juice, spinach and wholemeal bread. I am due to see the midwife on the 30th June so should find out more info then.wink

Imnotaslimjim Mon 20-Jun-11 16:18:47

Don't whether you've been told, but cut back on tea if you drink it as it prevents you absorbing iron properly

If you're needing a boost while you wait for the iron pills to kick in, get some Berocca (or asda/aldi's own version. Same ingredients, just cheaper!) they're safe in pregnancy, and really do give you a boost

If you've been breathless, it means your iron count is quite low, its harder for your body to move the blood round if it isn't iron rich

Just make sure you eat plenty of roughage and drink plenty, they cause constipation!

eurochick Mon 20-Jun-11 16:36:59

It will depend on your current levels and the dosage you are given but (non-PG) I felt noticeably better within a few days.

I second the advice to eat plenty of fibre and drink lots of water to fend off constipation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now