Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did anyone else get extra scans because of low BMI?

(6 Posts)
Cattleprod Mon 20-Jun-11 10:53:08

I've been booked for growth scans at 32 and 36 weeks, because my BMI is 17.3. I'm happy to have them, it will be nice to go to scans without being absolutely terrified like I was at the 7, 12 and 21 week scans. But I'm wondering...

1. Why does having a low BMI mean I need the extra scans?
2. Will the sonographer just do quick measurements, or will they check anything else?
3. What else should I ask them to look at, assuming they have time - placenta health, cord blood flow etc.? Anything else?

I had the extra scans last time with DS too, but being a naive first timer I didn't think to ask why.

nunnie Mon 20-Jun-11 10:58:43

I had a BMI of 17 when pregnant, and did have extra scans but this was because I was measuring small for gestation.

If it is to check growth then they do check the placenta and flow to make sure there isn't an issue and to check baby groth on scan measurements which are slightly more accurate than tape measure I believe.

My BMI increased by 2nd pregnancy and growth was fine.
I am pregnant with number 3 and my BMI is 19 same as last pregnancy but for some reason they are now back to checking growth because my 1st was a small baby but this didn't seem to bother them with number 2. Ah well, whether this means more scans I don't know, suppose it depends on measurement which isn't being done till 28 weeks.

Cattleprod Mon 20-Jun-11 11:02:26

Do they do the extra scans because women with low BMI are more likely to have low birthweight babies then?

It's a little ironic if this is the reason as I'm also booked for a glucose tolerance test as DS was over 10lb! confused

nunnie Mon 20-Jun-11 11:09:10

I don't know Cattleprod, mine were only done because I was measuring small they hadn't mentioned it before, infact they weren't concerned at all or didn't appear to be by my BMI (with 1st).

I think they are just being over cautious this time because I have had 2 small babies. However personally I agree my DD was small for gestation she was 5lb 13oz at 39+1. However I think DS was healthy weight for gestation he was 6lb 3oz at 36+3.

No point arguing with them though, as they appear not to take into account that he was just under 4 weeks early. Ah well just means more visits to hospital and waiting for 2 hours there instead of 15 minutes at the Health centre. Good book and snack will see me through it.

OP, have you asked your midwife it might just be a policy at your hospital.

Cattleprod Mon 20-Jun-11 14:34:28

Thanks, I'll ask her next time I see her. The extra scans are definitely only because of my BMI though, I've only just had the 21 week scan and there was nothing of concern, just an automatic booking for the extra growth scans because I'm a beanpole!!

Maybe someone else can solve the mystery.....

smile

nunnie Mon 20-Jun-11 14:36:17

All hospitals work differently, it might just be their protocol to check under a certain BMI.
Best person to ask is your midwife she/he will know the local hospital policy. Unless like me your midwife is based at another hospital, then ring the ante-natal clinic they should be able to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now