Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a bump growth spurt at around 20+ weeks?

(14 Posts)
icravecheese Sun 19-Jun-11 18:12:19

Has anyone else found their bump suddenly, massively increase in size after about 20wks?

I'm 23 wks into my 3rd preg, so bump has always been quite evident due to lack of tum muscles to hold anything in smile however since my 20wk scan, I feel like my bump has suddenly gotten SO big... slightly worries me as I worry that I have some unknown infection that is causing too much amniotic fluid or something (crazy paranoid person that I am!). I do remember suddenly having a huge increase in appetite from about 20/21 weeks, so wondered whether it is some sort of growth spurt?

Anyone else has experienced this? Don't remember from my previous 2 pregs, & not due to see midwife til 28wks, when I guess she will do fundal height for 1st time to check bump is right size...

suiledonne Sun 19-Jun-11 18:15:12

I did on dd2. At 18 weeks I barely looked pregnant but by 22 weeks people were predicting twins!

DD2 was a perfectly average sized 8lbs.

ragdollismyname Sun 19-Jun-11 18:43:54

Yes!!! I had been wearing my normal clothes until a week ago and no-one could tell i was pregnant. Had my 20 week scan on Tue and since then i've just popped!! Had to buy some maternity stuff on fri and just feel huge overnight. Have been eating loads in the past two weeks though and all rubbishy carb type food. Least i know it's not just me!!!

icravecheese Mon 20-Jun-11 15:27:42

thanks ladies, don't feel so worried now... also, woke up this morning & bump doesnt feel quite so huge, so perhaps baby has moved out of an awkward / strange position & bump feels a little bit near normal again smile

NatzCNL Mon 20-Jun-11 15:31:29

I am 26 weeks into my 3rd pregnancy, and over the last 3/4 weeks I am sure I have doubled in size. A woman asked me last night when I was due, I told her September and she recoiled in horror...! grin
Always get huge at the end of the day, not so big in the morning. Am hoping this baby is similar size to her sisters, 7lb 4oz & 7lb 13oz

Cattleprod Mon 20-Jun-11 15:31:59

I think we're all prone to trapped gases at this stage. My bump can feel huge and tight and uncomfortable, particularly after a big meal, but if I lie down and relax, or have a bath, the gases escape from one end or the other and bump becomes a normal size again.

icravecheese Mon 20-Jun-11 16:07:42

NatzCNL - thanks for your post, people had suddenly started commenting on my bump (think thats why I've started worrying about how big it is). I too am hoping this DC3 is similar size to her brother & sister (but at 8lb3oz & 8lb8oz respectively, I obviously don't make tiddlers!!).

Cattleprod - funny you should say that about gases, I have noticed ALOT more, ahem, bottom gas recently, so perhaps that is contributing to my bump seeming big....nice, hot (no, warm!) bath tonight for me to see if it helps release any more smile

emmazed Tue 21-Jun-11 11:19:29

i am 25 weeks, and since 20 weeks my bump has got huge too. i was a bit worried about getting too big too quickly so good to know i am not the only one! ditto on the wind too.....

i have a mw appoint this afternoon and was going to check with her that i wasn't growing too fast.

icravecheese Tue 21-Jun-11 11:37:15

let us know how it goes emmazed....I'm not seeing midwife until 28wks - could see her before I suppose, but we're off on hols next wk for 2wks.

I'm still slightly concerned about size of my bump (feels quite uncomfortable, like babe has got big but skin hasn't yet stretched to accomodate it!) & even considered doing my own fundal height measurement yesterday, but decided that was a daft idea as I'd no doubt get it totally wrong & worry myself even more!

Scheherezadea Tue 21-Jun-11 12:37:36

Yep, I hit 20 weeks and my bump practically doubled in size overnight - was very wierd!

owlbooty Tue 21-Jun-11 13:00:40

Me too! The MW warned me it would happen as I was worried I had no bump at all up to 20 weeks - and sure enough, she was right smile

LDNmummy Tue 21-Jun-11 13:30:28

I had one last week and its still going though seems to have slowed the last couple of days.

One night i felt so uncomfortable when trying to sleep and felt lots of tightening and pulling around inside. After a couple of days I was noticably bigger.

I already had a pregnant look but it could actually look quite small in some clothes. Now there is definitely no hiding it, not that I wanted to grin

Zuzi Tue 21-Jun-11 15:34:39

I'm joining the club, 20 wks into my 3rd pregnancy. Up until now nobody really noticed at work and as of yesterday people keep commenting. I remember feeling big with my 2 previous but this time round I feel bigger and fatter.

scepticalexpat Tue 21-Jun-11 15:42:38

Me too - I'm 20 weeks and until recently just looked a bit fat around the middle. Suddenly in the last few days I keep catching a glance of my reflection and seeing that I have a serious, unmistakeable bump. Hurray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now