Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

serious guilt

(10 Posts)
hannahkj19 Sun 19-Jun-11 16:41:50

so before i found out i was pregnant i had no idea i would be and went on a weeks holiday to magaluf where i spent virtually the entire time drinking. I now feel so guilty because I am pregnant anyone offer any reassuring words? Is there anything I can do to try and reverse any damage done by all my drinking?! xxx

halohasslipped Sun 19-Jun-11 17:03:26

I know so many who have had the same and have done much worse. With my second pregnancy, i didn't know for 6 weeks. No benders but a glass of wine most nights and cheeky ciggies. Son seems fine.

theonlyhb2 Sun 19-Jun-11 17:29:02

i am amazed anything managed to grow with the amount of rum and nurofen plus i was taking that week. Babies are like parasites, just steal the good stuff

Mumbrane Sun 19-Jun-11 17:33:47

I went on mahoosive benders before I knew I was pregnant with both of my pregnancies that ended in happy, healthy babies. The one militarily planned pregnancy I had, where I was inhaling folic acid and vegetable juice like some sort of Paragon of Virtue - i had a miscarriage.

I am not a doctor, but I honestly don't think that a week of drinking in the first few weeks is going to harm your baby. It is sustained drinking throughout pregnancy that seems to have the most harmful effects.

Congratulations, btw!

Mumbrane Sun 19-Jun-11 17:34:14

p.s. my benders really were mahoosive grin

babydust27 Sun 19-Jun-11 17:39:02

please dont panic yourself about this as its the same for many women

One thing that i found comforting is the fact that the placenta forms from 8-12 weeks so anything before this time isnt passed to the baby.

The best thing you can do now is it relax, rest, take folic acid and eat healthly and look after yourself

Take care and congratulations

Coppernoddle Sun 19-Jun-11 17:44:01

Early in this stage (prior 12 weeks), baby is not actually feeding from the placenta, it's still surviving on hormones. The placenta starts attaching itself between 6 and 8 weeks and doesn't change over till about 12 - 14 weeks!
I had a friend who I used to work with who went on a netball tour of France, had no idea she was pregnant till the labour and was on taquilla slammers ever night! Her daughter who is now 10 has no effects whatsoever!!

melezka Sun 19-Jun-11 17:46:52

I did not know this about the placenta. This makes me feel much better about the drinking I did before I knew I was pregnant with DCs (who seem fine at 11 and 12...)

OpusProSerenus Sun 19-Jun-11 17:50:15

Please don't worry. I did exactly this with DD (now grown and away at uni, perfectly fit, healthy and intelligent) and confessed to my GP who told me very calmly that if women had not overindulged in alcohol throughout history most of the human race would not be here today! Apparently it is the sustained use of alcohol throughout pregnancy that is the problem.

Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy

hannahkj19 Sun 19-Jun-11 19:47:00

thank you for the reassurance everyone xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now