Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Larger moses basket

(9 Posts)
Pippaandpolly Sun 19-Jun-11 09:56:56

My mother has a moses basket that everyone in the family slept in that is huge compared to the ones you see today - it's gorgeous and was big enough to be used as a travel 'cot' until we were each about 8 months old. However, it slept my godfather, mother, aunt, brother, me and 3 cousins and is absolutely not safe to use anymore - it might be ok kept totally still in one room but I wouldn't like to put a baby in it and then try and lift it...I expect the wicker would fall through entirely. I'm looking for something similar to replace it with and all the moses baskets I can find seem tiny in comparison. I don't want to buy a moses basket that we can only use for a couple of months - if they're the only ones available I'd rather just buy a cotbed from the beginning and bypass the moses basket altogether. Does anyone know whether it's possible to get large moses baskets anywhere nowadays? I've tried all the places you'd expect - John Lewis, Mothercare etc.

SaltNSauce Sun 19-Jun-11 10:07:40

these people make them- scroll down a bit. It says you can have different sizes made.

SaltNSauce Sun 19-Jun-11 10:14:16

hideous?
ebay
ebay

kktpj Sun 19-Jun-11 10:19:48

use it in one room dont shift it round
the joy of using family heirlooms
we use my 41 year old high chair been thyrough 3 chn 7 grandchildren and loads of childminded chn
never a year unused

Pippaandpolly Sun 19-Jun-11 10:31:44

SaltNSauce the children's crib in your first link isn't quite what I had in mind but oh my God do I love it! And yes, your 'hideous' link is a bit yuck...the second ebay one is nice though. Thank you - so helpful!

kktpj I think we will use it (probably in the sitting room as somewhere to sleep during the day) but I wanted something moveable as well. The only other problem is that it's too big for most modern mattresses, so I'm going to have to be creative I think. The original (that we all slept on, pre-health and safety recommendations!) was handmade by my greataunt.

crochetcircle Sun 19-Jun-11 10:36:38

I was lent a larger Moses basket in a similar vein and a pram mattress from John Lewis fits just fine (had to trim it a tiny bit). So maybe you could use your existing one, static, with a new mattress?

Pippaandpolly Sun 19-Jun-11 14:54:16

Crochetcircle that's a really good idea - thank you!

fairy1978 Sun 19-Jun-11 15:18:00

Hi,

I have 2 old moses baskets and they are far too big for modern mattresses, I got some made at the natural mat company - they are expensive but feel really good. My first 2 wouldn't sleep on standard moses basket mattresses. If you google the natural mat company and discounts you can get a 10% discount from mumsnet.
Ooops sorry forgot to say that they are made to measure mattresses xx

Lynzilove Sun 19-Jun-11 15:34:57

For a mattress babymattressesonline do custom sizes and are very reasonable for a decent material.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now