Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

please help with thrush advice

(13 Posts)
NewMummy5July2011 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:03:54

Hi
I'm currently taking antibiotics (am nearly 38 weeks) for group b strep and after only 2 days I've developed a thrush infection.

I was given a pessary for this very situation, but what I'm wondering is, if I take the pessary now, will it come back since I'm on antibiotics for another 5 days?

I'm going crazy with the itching! Not sure I can hold out that long. Alternatively, anyone know of any natural remedies I can try in the meantime that will at least soothe the itching until I finish the antibiotics and can take the pessary?

Thanks for the help.

fatbottomgirl Sat 18-Jun-11 20:16:54

I have suffered awful Thursh on and off during this pregnancy. You have my sympathy its horriblesad. I would use the pessary now and continue with cream for at least 2 weeks.
Natural yogurt can help and that means putting it on your fanjio, but believe me I was desperate enough to use anything that anyone recommended. Good luck, hope it clears.

ConfessionsOfAnAchingFanjo Sat 18-Jun-11 20:46:58

Keep the pessary for when your finished. I recently had a course of antibiotics and waited til I was done before treating the thrush. It was annoying, but well worth it because I knew it wouldn't come back as I'd finished the abs.
You could try natural yoghurt down below. And also try not to eat sugary or yeasty foods as this can feed the thrush.

AppleAndBlackberry Sat 18-Jun-11 20:50:49

You can use more than one pessary (one a day) so use it now and get another one when you've finished the antibiotics.

Zoonose Sat 18-Jun-11 20:59:19

I have tried natural (Yeo Valley probiotic) yoghurt for thrush with some success. You could use it as often as you like - if you're really suffering I'd try every 3/4 days or so. What I did was dip a tampon in it, put that in, leave it for a few hours, take it out again. It's harmless so worth a try - I think also eating probiotic yoghurt can help prevent thrush developing - though I'd probably not eat from the same pot smile

NewMummy5July2011 Sat 18-Jun-11 22:05:10

Thanks for the replies - I'll try some yogurt tonight and see how it goes and try to stick it out until the antibiotics are done - 5 days left to go. It's awful though isn't it? Driving me mad! If I can't stick it I may just go ahead with the pessary now and get another when it's done. I suppose I'm just worried that I do one now and another when anitibiotics are done, the effectiveness of the pessary will be reduced...?

pregnantmimi Sat 18-Jun-11 22:33:39

i had it terrible really for 2 months the itching drove me mad had some vagisil that didnt work! Daktarin that didnt work! Natural yogurt that didnt work! Then tea tree oil in the bath few drops (now its upto you if you feel happy using it or not some people dont like using oils when pregnant but you can look it up on internet if worried) put 4 drops in bath water no bubble bath nothing just 4 drops and do this every night. Not a very hot bath as not reccomeended when pregnant I promise it will go in 4 days it alwaysssssss works for me. If it comes back do it again.x

luckyfor2 Sat 18-Jun-11 22:39:15

I've had thursh on and off due to having progesterone pessaries. I was told by my midwife to use canesten cream (which worked straight away) and if that didn't get rid of it to use a pessary. I personally wouldn't bother with the yoghurt and go straight for the canesten cream. Obviously your choice (I have never tried yoghurt so don't know how good it is). Hope it clears up, I know how uncomfy it is.

EggyAllenPoe Sat 18-Jun-11 22:42:26

i found yoghurt worked really well directly applied to fanjo - as well as -

cotton undies or no undies at all
wear skirts not trousers
health non-greasy diet (particularly fresh fruit/salad)
no sex or wash directly after sex.

pregnantmimi Sat 18-Jun-11 23:46:56

you know how yoghurt cools you down tea tree feels like that really helpsx

NewMummy5July2011 Sun 19-Jun-11 09:22:14

I tried yogurt last night and it was really good actually - really cooled me down and managed to get a bit more sleep. I may try the tea tree oil too - thanks pregnantmimi. The itching is hell isn't it? Enough to drive a person crazy!

pregnantmimi Sun 19-Jun-11 18:20:39

itching horrible and its not like you can do anything about it when yr out ! tea tree fab give it a tryx

Northernlurker Sun 19-Jun-11 18:34:33

I had this with dd3 and found the pessary absolutely the worst bit! Agony!
The cream is good though. I think avoiding any sort of bath foam etc helps too and getting plenty of air in there grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now