Talk

Advanced search

"The Prednisolone trial at Liverpool Women’s Hospital" - anyone know the results?

(12 Posts)
willitbe Sat 18-Jun-11 18:38:30

I am just trying to find out if anyone knows the outcome of the prednisolone trial, or if prof Quenby is still prescribing prednisolone for recurrent miscarriage?

Would like to know before monday as I have another meeting with consultant on monday and need to persuade him if I need it!!!!

BagofHolly Sat 18-Jun-11 20:54:35

Siobhan quenby is at Birmingham now. Don't know who is writing up her research or if she's continued in her new post.

Who are you seeing? Your best bet I reckon is to find clinical papers supporting the use of steroids in rpt mc - quenby, shehata, raj rai et al.
Also can you reference anything from Alan Beer?

V best of luck. Steroids did the trick for me! X

PrettyVacant1 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:26:13

Ooooo, I was just thinking the same.
I am (kind of ) under Jo Topping at the moment afaik she took over from Quenby.
I've seen Jo T twice and I'm 30 weeks.
I took part in the trial Jan last year, possible placebo/pred but it sadly ended in a molar preg.
I got them again in Dec last year and fx they've also worked for me.
I'd love to know the results , I recall the trial ended in May.
I've got an app on Tue at LWH so I'll ask then.

willitbe Mon 20-Jun-11 21:03:51

Prettyvacant1 - Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you too, it is great that you have got so far along, it looks good!. Thank you for asking about the study for me.

Bagofholly - I went to see Raj Rai last year privately, but he does not believe in steriods. I am currently trying to persuade my current consultant to give me the steroids, but he keeps saying that he is waiting to hear from the results of the study before taking any action.

willitbe Wed 22-Jun-11 18:47:08

prettyvacant - sorry to ask but did you manage to get information about the study?

eurochick Wed 22-Jun-11 18:49:14

FYI there is a thread about this (the steroids not the study) on Conception.

PrettyVacant1 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:59:32

Willitbe,I'm so sorry to have not replied sooner, I did ask JT but she said she was unable to attend the meeting discussing the results.
Have you tried to Google/email Siobhan Quenby's office?
I also heard about the 60/40 favour but even though the odds are stacked in our favour with it being such a small study things like me having a molar which was doomed anyway would gave skewed that 40%.
On the other hand, currently ,it has worked but will not count in those stats.
Those steroids are handed out to asthma sufferers and woman with Hyperemesis, they are not exclusive.
Remind me, have you been tested for Nkcells, sorry brain like a sieve.
Could you not get a second opinion, I'm so angry on your behalf.

willitbe Sun 26-Jun-11 20:33:18

Thank you for getting back to me. I did try emailing Siobhan Quenby, but I am not sure I had the right address. I have not been tested for NKcells, my consultant is not a believer! I have taken prednisolone previously for asthma while pregnant. I am sure it would make a difference for me, but without proof I am in a difficult position. I think it is too late for my current pregnancy and I am trying to think positively, but if it does not go well then I will be very pushy with my gp and consultant for the future.

I am so glad to hear that things are going well for you with this pregnancy. Can I ask how long you have to stay on the predisolone during the pregnancy?

Thank you again for asking for me.

PrettyVacant1 Mon 27-Jun-11 06:52:58

I'm sorry you are in this situation Willitbe, I really hope you can get some results soon.
In my case, as soon as I found out I was pregnant I took 20mg for approx 12 weeks gradually lowering the dosage to 5mg to wean my body off them.

How many losses have you had if you don't mind me asking?

willitbe Mon 27-Jun-11 13:03:04

I have had 10 miscarriages, but am blessed with three children, who I had before my miscarriages started. It is just getting me to 12 weeks that is the concern. I have my first scan this friday when I will be 7 weeks.

Dummyhunter Mon 27-Jun-11 13:09:31

Firstly l would like to say sorry for alll your losses - l myself have lost three before 14 weeks and have a DC who is one.

I am currently on Prednisolone for because l have quite bad ulcerative colitis and this is the first positive thing l have heard about it.

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and the consultant put me on 40 mg when l was 7 weeks with lots of warnings about lots of bad things that might happen if l was to take it but told me that my pregnancy wouldnt stand a chance if my colitis wasnt in order. My GP was horrified at the dose and phoned me to check that l had told the consultant l was pregnant - futher stressing me out. Now lm on 20 mg and will be reducing it to 10mg next week. I already feel a bit better after hearing that it can be a positive medication to take and am wondering if thats why this one has 'stuck'.

I would appreciate any information regarding predisolone in pregnancy and will take it with me to my next consultant appointment - it may help reduce someone elses fears of the medication and their stress levels - maybe my consultant just wasnt aware of these trials.

BTW - very very sure on dates (ok we only did it the once!!) and baby was measuring 11wks at scan when should have been 10.3wks - lady scanning me - very happy with everything.

lovemysleep Mon 27-Jun-11 19:04:48

Don't know much about the trials, but I was under Dr.Shehata's care after 4 mc's. Tested for Nk cells - and came back with very high NK cells.
Treatment involved 40mg prednisolone til week 9 of pg, then weaned off by 12 weeks. Also had 3 intralipid infusions (this coats the NK cells), and took progesterone and 75 mg aspirin.
I am now 25 wks pg - and I truly believe that I would never have got this far without this treatment.
Dr Shehata has been treating women for 10 years now, and when I asked him why this treatment wasn't readily available on the NHS, he reckoned that they prioritise cancer treatment etc, rather than viewing recurrent mc as a problem. Certainly, I found the attitude of most NHS places to be that it was natures way, or something they don't understand yet - I had all the tests and they came back clear.
I think it's such a travesty really, as the treatment is cheap, and there don't appear to be any side effects in the long term.

By the way, Dr.S works at Epsom or Surrey hospital, and you can get an NHS referral to see him apparently.

Good luck wiilit - fingers crossed for you. Maybe look on Dr.Shehatas website - miscarriageclinic - (haven't fathomed how to do links!!), and pass this onto your doctor?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now