Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st pregnancy, a Q or 2 if you'd be so kind :)

(9 Posts)
Stinkyminkymoo Sat 18-Jun-11 09:34:47

Am new here, so hi!

This is my first pg, just had a couple of questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

According to the due date calendar, I'm on week 5 but I know that I conceived the 1st week of June which makes it week 2. Is it normal to feel like have mild period pains? It is mainly when I'm lying down.

Q 2, when I see the midwife, should I tell her that I am pretty sure which week I conceived so there is no confusion as to my due (ish) date? I don't want to get induced when there is no need to.

Thanks! smile

DuelingFanjo Sat 18-Jun-11 09:40:12

I think they will always date it from the first day of your last period. Unless you have long cycles. Congratulations. Mild pains are quite normal for a lot of people. No one can induce you without permission.

yummymango Sat 18-Jun-11 09:40:29

Hi stinky, congratulations!!! It goes from the first day of your last period - wierd but true. So you start counting weeks from then.

MrsNJDrury Sat 18-Jun-11 09:49:04

they date your pregnancy from the first day of your last period, if you remember that then count the weeks from then and that gives u an idea of how many weeks you are. you will find out for sure on your 12 week scan though as they measure the baby and can tell you exactly how many weeks youare. As for the pains you will feel some sort of pains due to stretching etc. but if you feel better talking to your midwife or GP then they could probably put your mind at rest. And I think my answer to the first question answers your second question. Hope this helps smile x

NatzCNL Sat 18-Jun-11 10:22:51

As all the ladies have said, they will date your pregnancy by the first day of your last period, and count 40 weeks from there. Conception usually happens 2 weeks after the period so you are right in thinking you are 2 weeks, but GP is also right in dating you at around 5 weeks IYSWIM?
Your dating scan will give you a more accurate estimated date of delivery (EDD) and this is the date that the hospitals and midwives will work from.

I had mild pains at the begining of all my pregnancies, this was down to implantation and stretching. Some women get this, some dont. I get ovulation pains too - just one of the 'lucky' ones eh?! grin

If you are very concerned or the pain gets too uncomfortable, or if there is any bleeding too (which can happen even with a normal healthy pregnancy with no bad outcome, just one of those things) then I would definately suggest contacting a midwife or GP. Mine felt like mild period pains. These stretching pains happen throughout the pregnancy, but later on it is obvious why and for some reason not as bad - which is surprising when you think how much bigger your womb is getting!

Congratulations on your pregnancy, enjoy it - it will go very quickly x

candr Sat 18-Jun-11 12:14:24

Hi and congrats. The whole date thing confused me to as I had been keeping track and knew exactly when we had conceived. It also means that dates like 24 weeks does not mean 6 months. There can be a le-way of 3 weeks from due date as they take it from your period and will tell you your due date. When you go for 12 week scan that will be more acurate. I thought I was bang on 12 weeks and got told I was 13+3 which apparently is common. Had lots of period like pains for few weeks but try not to stress unless it is in the same place for ages and really hurts (found out I had UTI) but is easily sorted. Enjoy your countdown to first scan - it is amazing!

ShowOfHands Sat 18-Jun-11 12:22:46

A couple of things that might help...

Sperm can live inside you for 5 days so when you had sex isn't necessarily when you conceived iyswim so it's the norm to date the pregnancy from your lmp until you have a scan and get a more accurate picture.

Start thinking about a 'due period' right from the beginning. A normal gestation is 37-42 weeks. If you think that way then people won't be ringing up from 40 weeks onwards and nagging and you won't feel 'overdue' when you aren't. Tell people you're due 'in March' for example and then they can't start pestering you.

It's not a worry now but induction isn't something they can foist upon you. It's a decision you make with the information available to you. They can only offer.

Most importantly, CONGRATULATIONS!!

SlightlyScrambled Sat 18-Jun-11 15:29:24

As ShowOfHands said, the sperm can live a long time inside before conception happens.
I had no periods to date my pregnancy by (due to breastfeeding) so was going by the date we did the deed.
I had a scan this week and my date was out by 6 days. I thought I was 10 but was just 9 weeks.

At least I've been told if the dating scan is within 4 day of your original idea for the due date, they will leave it as is.

I read recently that only 5% of babies are born on the due date.

Stinkyminkymoo Sat 18-Jun-11 20:20:02

Not to sound too weird, but I knew I was preg as I felt different, I even mentioned it to DH who didn't believe me (tuh!).

And to think i never believed it when people told me this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now