Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

26wks in and kicks/punches still really low down - is this normal?

(13 Posts)
tubbyridesagain Fri 17-Jun-11 14:19:45

This is my 1st baby and bump is big for 26wks (according to all the comments I've been getting!). BB is very active, but I only ever feel the movements very low down, just above fanjo - is that standard for this stage?

A friend recently gave birth and poor BB was wedged for some time before labour it seems, and he came out severely squished (all fingers crossed his face will spring back to normal eventually) - so I'm now thinking is my BB stuck with feet & legs trapped and the movement is her trying to wriggle free???!

God, I sound loopy just saying that (!), but none of my friends have been able to reassure me, so I need fellow mumsnetters' advice! confused

LDNmummy Fri 17-Jun-11 14:37:34

Hey, I'm 24 weeks and though I know baby has started kicking up top the last few days, she still kicks way low down too. Maybe your LO just likes the position she is in.

I'm no expert and hope someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to shed some light.

You don't sound loopy BTW, sounds exactly like what I would think grin

ShowOfHands Fri 17-Jun-11 14:40:04

Yup, normal. They change position quite a lot at this point and while a lot of them prefer to be down low, you don't actually know which bit is down there at any given time. You might be feeling a head, feet, hands, elbows, knees or a combination of them all. In a couple of weeks or so the baby will probably settle head down and you will get higher up kicks. At the moment, the top of your fundus is a few cm above your bellybutton, so not quite high enough up for rib kicks yet. It'll happen.

tubbyridesagain Fri 17-Jun-11 15:25:02

Thank you both, that makes me feel much better! And, in typical fashion, she gave me a swipe on the side of my tummy higher up as I clicked 'send' on my posting - she's a cheeky monkey already! smile

LilQueenie Fri 17-Jun-11 15:48:46

Mine has been in the same position since 20wks Im now 38wks! Midwife isnt worried so neither am I.

Coppernoddle Fri 17-Jun-11 16:05:34

Mine was breech u till 26 weeks (which is normal) and had all my kicks and tickley fingers in my pelvis! Now baby is head down, my ribs are soooooooo sore! But still get tickley fingers in my pelvis smile
Don't wish the kicks up high too soon!

rooks14 Fri 17-Jun-11 16:05:48

I have really low kicks and a lump under my ribs so thought he was breech but at my 32week midwife app she said he's got his head down :S really confused maybe he's punching aswell as kicking!

RugbyWidow7 Fri 17-Jun-11 17:16:59

Mine's been really low throughout - uncomfortably so some times! Now 30 weeks and starting to get kicked in the ribs so not so concerned any more.

squirrel007 Fri 17-Jun-11 18:00:03

I am 36 weeks and have always felt kicks low down, never felt anything up near my ribs! Baby is head down though so I'm not worried.

Your midwife should be able to feel baby's position at your next appointment and let you know smile

Eviepoo Fri 17-Jun-11 18:06:29

I'm 31w and only felt low down movement. Baby has been head down since 20 weeks scan, around about the time I felt proper movements. As long as you are feeling plenty movement I would not worry. The position of you placenta may also effect where you feel it.

lovemybabyboy Fri 17-Jun-11 18:10:54

Im 22 weeks and feel a lot of movement down low but do also feel movement over and under my bellybutton. Maybe its just the position the baby is lying in. If you are worried ask your midwife. smile

nicolamumof3 Fri 17-Jun-11 18:49:56

yes i had this too, all normal and they change position alot as you go along.

lolajane2009 Fri 17-Jun-11 20:57:38

I'm 27 weeks and i get this but today he managed to do my pelvis and ribs at the same time. he just attacks everywhere at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now