Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help- my engagement ring is stuck and I've been told it HAS to come off!

(17 Posts)
Helzapoppin Fri 17-Jun-11 10:30:28

Hello.
I'm only 32 weeks, thought I was leaving plenty of time to get my rings off before my section in 6 weeks time. Tried last night and this morning and my engagement ring (and thus my wedding ring) is well adn truely stuck! I am sure taht my fingers are swollen, but it actually feels like my knuckle bone has got bigger. I've tried covering it in cold water, hand cream and soap, but it just seems to get more swollen when i try to take the ring off.
Any useful ideas? I can't bear the thought of having them cut off, but have considered sloping off to A and E when they are quiet and finding a junior doctor to do the job.

dribbleface Fri 17-Jun-11 10:34:37

Try wrapping a piece of ribbon up your finger then threading under your ring, as you unravel the ring is supposed to come down. Not sure if it works but maybe worth a try?

d0gFace Fri 17-Jun-11 10:36:45

Some website tips:

www.ehow.com/how_2069704_get-ring-off-swollen-finger.html

Laraandminigoatbean Fri 17-Jun-11 10:42:59

Washing up liquid...??? Try later in the day as your swelling might subside...

Imnotaslimjim Fri 17-Jun-11 10:47:03

haemorrhoid cream. It will reduce the swelling you've caused by trying to force it off, and it will slide off. The cotton trick told by dribbleface is pretty good too, if the swelling isn't too bad

malinois Fri 17-Jun-11 10:57:32

Get a ring cutter here: ring cutter

You can then take the ring to a jeweller to get it re-soldered - it will look as good as new.

eurochick Fri 17-Jun-11 11:01:22

Get your hands as cold as possible and then try again with the soap.

bruxeur Fri 17-Jun-11 11:02:45

Hand in air like you want to ask a question for at least 20 mins, then try all above.

PrettyCandles Fri 17-Jun-11 11:13:39

Try holding your arm in the air while your OH massages downwards (ie towards your heart) from palm to shoulder for 20 minutes. You can rest your hand on his shoulder, but keep it above your head.

Then, with your arm still raised, gently rub something slippery around your ring and finger, rotating the ring so that the stuff works it's way underneath the ring. You could try talc, a greasy cream, or soap - but not together, only one per attempt!

Then put your hand in front of you, holding it firmly with your other hand, thumb on the ring-finger knuckle and fingers underneath the knuckle. Pull backwards on the skin while your OH gently spirals the ring off your finger.

spatchcock Fri 17-Jun-11 11:44:16

I've heard the ribbon trick works, too - apparently it's what they do at a few hospitals.

MotherPanda Fri 17-Jun-11 13:42:01

Try holding your hand in a jug of ice cold water for as long as you can - it helps swollen fingers go down and helps the rings to slide off.

do this and the ribbon/washimng up liquid trick and it should all be fine!

Helzapoppin Fri 17-Jun-11 15:30:06

Thanks for the ideas ladies. This morning I tried the hand above the head trick, the ribbon one looked too complicated for one person (found a diagram in the internet!). Finally I had some success with cold water and some Durex lubricant (which I had to drive to the next village to get, in case someone I knew came into the pharmacist)!

Hey, ho, I'll be breastfeeding soon and my hormones are hardly reliable at the moment, so I'm sure I'll use up the rest of the bottle in due course smile

d0gFace Fri 17-Jun-11 16:02:53

Congrats on getting them off. smile

jenniec79 Fri 17-Jun-11 18:27:47

Congratulations on getting it off! I work in orthopaedics and getting stubborn rings off is pretty routine after broken wrists etc - so top tips

Get it up in the air properly for a good 20-30 mins. In hospitals we can do this really easily on a "Bradford sling" (big foam sling which hooks on a drip stand) but slung up in a pillowcase attatched to a bookshelf or anything else high will work just the same, if properly high, not just on a pillow or the arm of the sofa.

ICE, frozen peas etc. 5 mins at a time and give it another go.

Oil (cooking, olive, bicycle...whatever's cheap and to hand)

The ribbon trick above works too - needs to be that really thin ribbon (about half cm) wrap from fingertip towards hand and slip the final end under the ring. Unwind from that end and it should force off your ring.

Ultimately though just remember rings are much easier to get fixed than fingers if one or the other needs chopping off, I know which I'd go for! All A&E departments and minor injuries units should have a ring cutting device. A good jeweller can do an invisible repair later.

BagofHolly Fri 17-Jun-11 19:31:38

If you can't get them off they just put tape over them. Mine are only insured when. They're on my hand so I just had them taped. Simples!

inspireme Fri 17-Jun-11 19:34:12

lucky u - I had to get my engagement ring cut off by jeweller today he assures me it will be fixed and look good as new, wedding ring came off easy enough though as it's half a size bigger - finger is slightly deformed so hoping it starts to look normal soon!

jenniec79 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:58:48

Bagofholly Taping is fine if they can come off or at least spin around on your finger, but if there's a lot of swelling a tight ring will cut off the blood supply to your finger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now