Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unstable lie-have been admitted at 39 weeks. Any experience?

(27 Posts)
Hormoneoverload Fri 17-Jun-11 00:11:21

lying here with gentle snoring on all sides! Went to midwife today, my fidgety baby turned again! Has been breech, transverse and head down (at 37 weeks-thought might stay there.) was transverse at midwife, by scan was oblique. So they weren't keen for me to go home because if waters broke could have sudden cord prolapse. They'll send me home only if baby turns either breech or head down for 24 hours. Anyone else had this? And how did it turn out?

missnevermind Fri 17-Jun-11 07:56:15

Ds3 was like this!
I was kept in hospital for 3 days and they were going to try and manually turn him. He was very active and every time they tried to monitor him he was in a different position.
When I went down for the ecv and was lying on the couch he actually turned by himself with everybody watching!
He turned to head down so I was sent home and told to come back as soon as contractions were felt to recheck position just incase.
He stayed where he was supposed to and a week later I had a straightforward birth.

Hormoneoverload Sun 19-Jun-11 08:55:59

Thank you! Good to hear there is a reason to wait and see rather than just head straight for elcs. This one seems pretty happy where it is at the moment, but we'll see what happens. Glad it turned out well for you

missnevermind Sun 19-Jun-11 19:05:51

It all worked out well last time. but this one is stuck feet first at 36 weeks, so I am waiting to be told what is going to happen this time - Although I have my fingers crossed for a planned C Section (Lazy and Tired )

Hormoneoverload Sun 19-Jun-11 19:21:44

Don't blame you. And I feel relaxed about either turning or section. Obviously not about waters breaking now, that would be completely nonideal! But had chat to midwife about elcs and she was so lovely, realistic yet positive. What's with these babies, eh? Head first, bottom first-it's not too complicated. Did a bit of googling and it may help to know that we should doing headstands in a warm water pool. grin Consultant offered hospital outdoor pool but said it might be on the cool side. Good luck with yours, whatever happens.

grubbalo Sun 19-Jun-11 20:10:11

I had exactly the same situation with DS2. Went for midwife appointment at 39 weeks, they said it was unstable lie and I got admitted - initially they said I'd have to stay in until delivery or until 1 week overdue when they'd try to induce. Luckily 2 days later I saw a much more "relaxed" consultant who said the baby was back in position and I could be allowed out, on the proviso I went straight back in if I felt him come out again.

Anyway that night I went into labour, midwife came out (I wanted a homebirth), she said he was out of position again. Then my waters went which meant a trip to hospital by ambulance incase of cord prolapse. Once in, they decided only the hind waters had gone, so took me into theatre to break my waters properly and try to force the baby into the birth canal at the same time. The risk of that was that if when my waters went the cord came down, it would have been a c-section under general. As it was, the plan worked and he went into position - he was born an hour later, only 4 hours after labour had started. It turns out he was 9lb6 and his head was on the 98th centile so not surprising he was finding it hard to engage!

Remains to be seen what happens this time... I am 23 weeks so not long to wait I suppose.

Good luck!

missnevermind Mon 20-Jun-11 00:12:47

Wow Grubbalo, I think I am reassured by that grin

Hormoneoverload Mon 20-Jun-11 04:24:48

Glad it turned out well grubbily. I am a mad woman! I was convinced I felt something hard and headlike in something approaching the right position. So called midwife. By the time I lay back for her to have a prod I could feel it back over on the side! I am sure she thinks I was imagining the whole thing! But when I sit up it feels as if it's central. Sorry, please excuse my demented rantings! blush

Hormoneoverload Mon 20-Jun-11 04:37:43

Sorry-meant grubbalo!

Hormoneoverload Mon 20-Jun-11 09:44:52

Doctor came this morning-there might be a head in the pelvis. Trying not to be too grin scan in a bit!

grubbalo Mon 20-Jun-11 10:45:54

Oh good luck, I really hope he/she decides to behave themselves! Let us know.

Hormoneoverload Mon 20-Jun-11 12:18:24

Head down and in pelvis! Confirmed by scan. I was all for immediate induction, but if still there in 24 hours I go home! Very nervous now-stay put baby!

missnevermind Mon 20-Jun-11 14:38:28

Yay for baby.
I would be upset at them not inducing today.

I am just back from monitioring, got the midwife to have a poke while I was there, head still in my ribs, though I didnt really need her to tell me.

grubbalo Mon 20-Jun-11 15:23:43

That's great hormone! Fingers crossed it was all he/she needed!

MamaChoo Mon 20-Jun-11 18:26:43

I had this and like Grubbalo had a huge baby - how they have room to be unstable beats me. My consultant didnt want to let me go into labour, as my baby was turning extremely quickly, eg staying in one place for a whole 15 mins, so they admitted me and did the section next day. I am in a new hospital for this pregnancy so havent yet agreed what to do if the same situation should arise this time round, but i am leaning towards an early section.

Hormoneoverload Mon 20-Jun-11 18:34:57

It is frustrating in a way, but it gives the lie to the idea that all docs want are caesarians. I've found that really comforting-if I have one it'll be for unavoidable reasons.

Hormoneoverload Mon 20-Jun-11 19:54:22

Bother, miss nevermind. Have you got an appointment booked to discuss options?

missnevermind Tue 21-Jun-11 06:51:08

I have a consultant appt tomorrow. But I don't know what will be discussed at it!
Baby was way over 90th centile last week at the scan, I also have a phyisio appt this afternoon hopefully will be getting crutches today for SPD.
I am just hoping all this will sway it my way and the docs will say so what day do you want to book the C S for.
(Everhopefull)

Hormoneoverload Mon 04-Jul-11 08:48:14

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else found it in the same position I was in. So.. After four days and sharp prod from consultant who was trying to see whether ECV would work, baby turned head down and stayed for the 24 hours needed between scans to be sure it had good chance of staying there. And it stayed til eight days overdue, had sweep, went into labour the next morning and hour and forty mins later had baby girl - heading to ten pounds so how she could have kept turning who knows! All well and happy. smile

missnevermind Mon 04-Jul-11 11:05:28

Congratulations. And well done! grin

Hormoneoverload Mon 04-Jul-11 12:34:53

Thank you! How are things with you?

missnevermind Mon 04-Jul-11 14:00:53

I am still here. And still growing an upsidedown baby grin
Movements have slowed down though which I am trying hard not to worry too much about.

I am booked for an ELCS on the 14th so not too much longer now!
I refused the ECV and the try at natural breech birthing after reading some scary threads on here, lots of success stories but some not so good and I dont want to take any risks.

Hormoneoverload Mon 04-Jul-11 14:31:06

You know what, had they at any point actually offered me an elcs, I would have said yes. And after pushing out another head the other day, I am certain I'm not brave enough for a breech delivery. I know it's horses for courses, but I am sure you'll have made the right choice. Roll on the 14th and you meeting your beautiful baby. smile

missnevermind Mon 04-Jul-11 19:26:21

I feel comfortable now with my decision. But it was difficult to come to terms with.
I have also had it drummed into me by the consultants that this is not the easy option, but for me, now, it is the best one.

buttonmoon78 Mon 04-Jul-11 23:15:00

My baby has turned to head down. Or, at least, it was last Wednesday. I am in a permanent state of panic that it will turn back again. Or that it will stay (as it is currently) OP and I will have another labour like last time.

I'm heading off to the MW tomorrow to see where it is. If she says back to back I'll be asking for a consultant change. I'm booked in under one for an induction next Fri (15th) for my spd but I'm terrified of doing another back to back.

I have been agonsing over this issue for months - it truly is not the easy option nor an easy decision!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now