Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Urgent wwyd please.

(26 Posts)
kitkey Thu 16-Jun-11 19:11:26

I am holiday in Portugal - near faro - baby is not moving a lot today - an 25 weeks - feeling so anxious - I have my Doppler with me and heartbeat sounds normal. She has moved today - not since 2pm - a few small moves. I am with my DH and 2 dc. Many thanks for quick replies.

NatzCNL Thu 16-Jun-11 19:15:19

Does your travel insurance cover an over seas scan? If not, could you afford to go for one and pay cash? If baby is moving and heart beat sounds fine I would try not to worry, could be due to the climate or if you have been doing too much etc.
How much longer do you have left of your holiday? I would book in with GP on your return. Try not to worry - easier said than done xx

AlfalfaMum Thu 16-Jun-11 19:16:03

In my experience, babies don't move quite so much later in the pregnancy because they have less space. The fact that the heartbeat is fine is good.

You do sound worried though, so ask at your hotel reception if they can get a doctor out to check you, perhaps?

oinkyoink Thu 16-Jun-11 19:16:52

Could you call the maternity dept at your hospital in the UK and chat to a midwife? I have had plenty of similar episodes of this and it ends up ok but it would be best to talk to a midwife who can then suggest what you do.
Have you had a glass of cold coke and then lie down on your left side for a half hour to see if there is more movement? Try that too. Good luck.

Jill72 Thu 16-Jun-11 19:17:17

How warm is it?? Might this be affecting baby?? a bit warmer and therefore a bit more 'sleepy' and cosy??? just a thought. Good that you have a good hearbeat - thats a certain thumbs up!! Do you have your midwifes number?? you could ring her despite being abroad. No other experience to help you out - will pop off and google

TheOriginalFAB Thu 16-Jun-11 19:18:09

"In my experience, babies don't move quite so much later in the pregnancy because they have less space."

This is WRONG and DANGEROUS advice and 25 weeks is not later in pregnancy.

shellmc Thu 16-Jun-11 19:22:48

I would try to see if you can see a doctor over there, maybe a medical centre in your hotel?? If you are worried its always best to have your mind put at rest. xx

kitkey Thu 16-Jun-11 19:23:33

Thanks am struggling to find info on my I phone. It is very hot and the last few days her movements have slowed down with massive gaps in between. DH just wants me to calm down and wait. I could calm down if in uk but have no idea how to get help - staying in apartment so no reception to ask. Going to eat some dinner now and see if that helps. I am in a bit if a state and DH is a bit angry.

starkadder Thu 16-Jun-11 19:24:17

If you're a UK national, you should be covered by European health insurance. Do you have an EHIC card? You could then go to any hospital and they will treat you as if you were Portuguese. They may not be able to scan, though, and of course language might be an issue, so it might be better to find a private doctor to set your mind at rest. I'm sure everything is fine but I also think it is worth getting checked out. I know people in Portugal so if you need help, let me know and I can ask someone to give you a call.

BettyBum Thu 16-Jun-11 19:25:34

Also agree that it is not the case that movements are less later in pregnancy. Also 25 weeks would not be classed as late anyway.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 16-Jun-11 19:25:52

If you are worried and can't get baby to move you need to be checked as no one can be sure that everything is fine, other than a doctor/midwife doing a check.

allthefires Thu 16-Jun-11 19:25:59

Speak to receiptionist in hotel for local details x

shellmc Thu 16-Jun-11 19:25:59

It is only natural for you to feel worried!
Does the apartment not have information desk or evan just a reception where you could find out where the nearest medical centre is. xx

G1nger Thu 16-Jun-11 19:28:50

I had my 25 week appointment this week. My GP asked if I could feel him kicking yet... Is it too early to count the kicks as thoroughly? Also last Sunday I did Yoga for the first time and for the rest of the day - actually until 3pm the next afternoon - I couldn't feel anything apart from bladder nudges and tiny feelings which I thought were elbows. I figure he had moved to face my back. Everything's back to normal now. I've now bought a doppler so I can hear his pulse should I begin to worry again. I think you're fine, but it's up to you to decide.

starkadder Thu 16-Jun-11 19:29:37

PS I know what a nightmare it is trying to google on a phone so I googled for you, found this. I don't know if it is near you but I expect they could recommend someone who is, and they have a 24 hr number and speak English.

Again, please try not to worry!! But best to check smile

algarve.angloinfo.com/af/472/algarve-hospitals-and-health-centres.html

Family Medical Centre: International team of health professionals. Gynaecology and antenatal clinics, mother and baby clinics, sports medicine, vaccinations and medical checks. 24 hours emergency call out service at Vilar do Golf, Quinta do Lago, 8100 Loule.

Tel: 289 398 411 / 91 721 43 26 (emergency number) Fax: 289 398 259

Pesha Thu 16-Jun-11 19:32:34

Do you have travel insurance? If so there should be an advice/claims line to call, they should be able to find you somewhere to go to get checked over and hopefully contact them directly to explain situation.

I think you shoud try not to worry (Much easier said than done I know) and it prob is fine but I do think you should get yourself checked by a dr/mw just to be sure.

Fiddledee Thu 16-Jun-11 19:33:54

There is probably plenty of space there especially if DC3 - she may have moved round to a position where you can't feel the kicks. Has something happened in the past that has meant you feel you need doppler?

kitkey Thu 16-Jun-11 19:36:55

Thanks all and especially for the info starkadder just having the number helps mr feel a little in control. DH has just gone to pick up done pizza so am going to eat and see what happens - nit due to go home until Wednesday but feel I have over stretched myself with this holiday and eant to go hime . Feel so sorry for DH as am ruining it by being anxious. Already have two ds who are 2 and 3 so it is hard work watching them by the pool and sea etc - no rest - want to go home. sad maybe feel better if i feel some moves.

PenguinArmy Thu 16-Jun-11 19:41:12

*G1nger8 think it depends on the pg and how long you've feeling kicks for. If you don't know a rough pattern yet as they've only just started, it's different if you've been feeling it quite strongly from 16 weeks. First time, I started feeling stuff around 23 weeks, this time it was strong at 16 weeks.

starkadder Thu 16-Jun-11 19:42:36

smile no prob. Don't feel bad for your DH! It would be much worse if you were secretly anxious and not telling him... Bet your baby shifts position soon and starts kicking away.

edwinbear Thu 16-Jun-11 19:51:32

If it's at all reassuring when I was in Oman at 28 weeks with DS, he wasn't nearly as active in the heat as he had been at home. It was quite noticeable.

kitkey Thu 16-Jun-11 19:55:48

Always had doppler since dc1 -.addicted to it and can't manage without it blush

isthismadness Thu 16-Jun-11 20:02:11

If it still isn't moving or is massively reduced go to the local a+e. It will be covered on insurance.
Get your dh to read this thread
Good luck

chocolateyclur Thu 16-Jun-11 20:10:07

If you're stressed, you won't enjoy the rest of your holiday. Get checked if possible if you're at all worried - no price on piece of mind.

Like another poster said, a can of full fat, ice cold coke can sometimes work wonders.

Thinking of you.

PoppysMom Fri 17-Jun-11 05:38:29

kitkey how are you doing now?
Hope baby has moved and is kicking again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now