Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Headaches and acupuncture

(5 Posts)
mopsytop Thu 16-Jun-11 17:02:17

Hello, I am suffering from very bad headaches and also migraines, to the point where I can't function some days and have to stay in bed. It's really affecting my life very negatively, and I need help! Has anyone had acupuncture for headaches? Is it safe during pregnancy (I am 3 months now)? Is it effective? Thanks for any information!

lily06 Thu 16-Jun-11 17:05:28

Sorry I haven't any advice to offer, but I'm in exactly the same situation. Paracetamol doesn't touch the pain and it can last for three or four days at a time. I usually manage between triptans and ibuprofen but I understand neither are suitable during pregnancy. Here's hoping someone will be along with some useful advice soon!

marmitericecakes Thu 16-Jun-11 17:30:24

I suffered with headaches every day in early pregnancy. I had acupuncture from 10 weeks and it did help temporarily (it was great relief at the time but didn't stop the headaches altogether). If you can afford to have it it's definitely worth trying. I'd recommend a traditional Chinese practitioner if you can find one in your area and just tell them the situation. Hope it works for you.

nannyl Thu 16-Jun-11 17:49:05

I had accupuncture to help my HG from 8 weeks.

It IS safe (but there are some positions they dont use etc) Just make sure you let them know you are pg so they dont put the needle in anywhere they shouldnt smile

PinkFondantFancy Thu 16-Jun-11 18:42:15

I've had acupuncture for a range of things through this pregnancy. Definitely worth trying although it's not cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now