Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is Tartex (long-life yeast paté) safe in pregnancy?

(4 Posts)
HappyGate Thu 16-Jun-11 12:01:21

Both meat and vegetarian paté come with health warnings for pregnant women. Tartex, however, is a long-life yeast-based spread which need not be refrigerated until after it is opened. It is contained in a sealed, metal tube. I have read two contradictory comments on this subject (old messages from this and another chat forum):

Q: Is Tartex safe in Pregnancy?
A: "...I think it is - it's fresh pate you have to watch out for. I love Tartex and have already eaten one tube of the stuff and have another in the cupboard (I'm 19wks preg) without any ill effects."

Q: Is Tartex included in the paté warning?
A: "...veggie pate includes Tartex, sorry."

Can anybody tell me definitively whether Tartex is safe or not?

Many thanks.

DirtyBit Thu 16-Jun-11 15:20:12

I don't know definitively, but I ate it and was fine.

plantsitter Thu 16-Jun-11 15:30:12

I don't know. I would think it was fine, but maybe don't keep it more than a couple of days in the fridge?

I haven't been able to find it for years!

HappyGate Fri 17-Jun-11 10:24:16

Thank you both for your messages (yippee - my first ever website discussion!). I'll double check with my midwife and might eat it on the odd occasion and keep it fresh.

Perhaps I'm thinking of another brand selling an equivalent product to Tartex? It's in the health food shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now