Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can a UTI make you shakey??

(16 Posts)
kri5ty Thu 16-Jun-11 11:29:42

Sorry for yet another question!

I think i may have a uti, as i know that being pregnant makes you want the toilet more, but nothing much comes out lol tmi, and i now have a dull ache in my groin, i have just started shaking too, can a uti cause that?

charitygirl Thu 16-Jun-11 11:31:59

Not an expert, but I think so - a UTI can make you pretty ill, including fever and confusion so 'shaky' would sound right. If you haven't told your GP/MW yet I definitely would and eve if they are already aware, I would tell them about this new symptom ASAP.

It probably is a UTI but other things could cause shakes (and a UTI is serious anyway) so do get in touch.

kri5ty Thu 16-Jun-11 11:34:50

i dont know who my midwife is as im shared care, i have a first app with a consultant on monday, but i may just go down to my docs today and ask if i can drop a sample off, as i doubt i will be able to get an app with them

Thank hun smile

nunnie Thu 16-Jun-11 11:35:34

Yes it can.

Get to the GP, I ended up in hospital having IV antibiotics and paracetamol and my first real symptom apart from weeing alot which I put down to being pregnant was headache and shakes. I ended up really quite poorly as it spread to my kidney, I spent three nights in hospital and 2 under a critical care team.

I am fine now and baby is fine, but please get it checked ASAP.

lolajane2009 Thu 16-Jun-11 11:36:11

yep, sounds like a potential uti, if you think you have a uti get treatment asap as they are nasty when pregnant.

I ended up bleeding with my uti at 16 weeks and it was nasty.

kri5ty Thu 16-Jun-11 11:58:47

will def ring the GP when i finish work thanks girls smile

WiiUnfit Thu 16-Jun-11 15:59:40

Please do kri5ty!

Out of pregnancy I had a nasty kidney infection that made me shake uncontrollably, during pg they are much nastier!

kri5ty Fri 17-Jun-11 07:49:11

Well i went to the docs yesterday... i have all the symtoms, including shakes etc, cloudy urine, nothing coming out when i go tmi lol, ache in my lower groin, the doc examined my stomach and it was painful at the part i had the ache... but whe she tested my sample there were no traces confused

She put me on anti biotics just to be sure but she is as confused as i am!

kri5ty Fri 17-Jun-11 07:49:30

i also have the chills

nunnie Fri 17-Jun-11 08:22:03

Did she send the sample off for lab testing? I am on monthly checks that can't be done by dipstick and have to be sent to the lab for culture.

Plus if it goes to the lab and there is an infection it will also advise on antibiotic treatment to fight the specific infection.

nunnie Fri 17-Jun-11 08:24:50

My symptoms if any help.

Regular urinating with urgent need.
Pain in lower abdomen.
Headache which became severe.
Shakes and shivvers.
Sweats.
Temperature of 39.9.
Lower back pain.
Vomitting.
Rapid pulse.
Dellusional state.

Hebrewlass Fri 17-Jun-11 08:32:18

Hello, I'm a nurse , yes a uti can make you shivery and shaky. I really hope you start to feel better soon, I suffered with lots of uti s in pregnancy so can empathise.

kri5ty Fri 17-Jun-11 08:34:16

hi nunnie thank you,

she used a dipstick but also sent it off to the lab, and prescribed me with keflex

i have the first 5 of your symtoms, thats whyi thought it was a uti, im at my consultant on monday, so i will ask about the results

Hebrewlass Fri 17-Jun-11 08:37:02

Oo just to say as well that uti's are strange things. They don't always show up in the dip stick test, and they won't always show up in the lab sample. This happened to me whilst I was pregnant, but as long as you are symptomatic of a uti then they will usually treat you for it . They too gave me antibiotics for my mystery uti. I am sure now you are being treated you will feel better very soon.

kri5ty Fri 17-Jun-11 08:56:58

thanks you smile im glad to know i am not the only strange one with symtoms and no "positive" results!

Mmmmcheese Fri 17-Jun-11 10:04:04

I had have this 3 times so far and I'm 12 + 4! Every time the dip stick shows blood in the urine but nothing else, and the lab results come back as normal. Twice I managed to get rid of the symptoms just by drinking loads of water (3 litres a day!) and I took Keflex once as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now