Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Highlights during pregnancy

(9 Posts)
k4mi Thu 16-Jun-11 11:10:05

Hi all,

I really want to get my hair done before a wedding we have coming up in a few weeks. I am only 9 weeks at the moment and wondering whether it is safe? I usually have foils done but haven't for around 3 months.

I have heard somewhere that hair dye can be bad but then seen a lot of pregnant women with nice highlights...?

Thanks smile

Icelollycraving Thu 16-Jun-11 11:13:35

Highlights are fine as the colour only goes on the hair not on the scalp. Get it done,it makes me feel human again!!

nunnie Thu 16-Jun-11 11:14:40

Highlights are better than full head as they don't touch the scalp.
Some women wait till after 12 weeks others don't.

I have mine done and mine is full head not highlights every 10 weeks, pregnant or not.

If you decide to get it done make sure you have a test done because hair sometimes reacts different during pregnancy and the colour may vary.

Tinwe Thu 16-Jun-11 11:16:13

I was told by my hairdresser that the dye was fine but wouldn't be in contact with my skin anyway as its foils, not a full dye. Just as well as would've hated to have massive roots for my wedding! smile

harassedinherpants Thu 16-Jun-11 11:28:14

My sil is my hairdresser and she says highlights are fine. I had mine done at around 7-8 weeks I think, so due again reasonably soon!

CrazyAlien06 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:15:43

I've had full head of highlights since 6 weeks preggers every 6-8 weeks and it's been no problem smile

Macaroona Fri 17-Jun-11 22:19:57

Yep absolutely fine smile

Even all-over colour is only to be avoided because your skin is more sensitive in pregnancy, nothing to do with it affecting the baby.

Enjoy being pampered!

pregnantmimi Fri 17-Jun-11 22:54:37

Hi all I found was that highlights went a bit orangy dont ask me why so gone dark while pregnant just cause its easier my sister was fine with highlights all the way thou

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 18-Jun-11 14:33:59

There's no evidence that hair colour is bad, even when it touches the scalp. It's just one of those things we don't know much about so many people avoid to to be on the safe side.

But highlights don't touch the scalp anyway and I've had them done throughout my pregnancy.

I think stress and worry have much more impact on baby than many of the things we fret about!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now