Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which nappies

(19 Posts)
Sniffybobs Wed 15-Jun-11 16:15:10

Can anyone tell me which brand of nappies are best, there are so many to choose from. Also, what size should i buy to take to the hospital for the straight after the birth? I see there are ones for newborn babies, but even those come in 3 sizes depending on the weight of your baby - HELP, CONFURSED.COM!! lol

PrincessScrumpy Wed 15-Jun-11 16:42:44

We tried all of them with dd1 but I think it really depends on your baby's build. DD had really skinny legs so we found pampers were the best. Whenever we tried cheaper ones they leaked so in the end we stuck to pampers (you can usually get them on offer if you buy in bulk). This pg we have already bought a load of pampers newborn.

Having said that I know a number of mums who like Asda won brand (we didn't get on with them) and some mums (only ones with boys that I know of) who swear by Huggies, but again these leaked wee all the time for us.

Basically it's all individual opinion, so I can only give mine.

Size-wise, I've got newborn ones that I think go up to 11lbs (dd1 wasn't 11lbs until she was almost 4 months). This pg I'm expecting twins so may have prem babies but I'm being optimistic and bout the standard size, dh can always nip out and buy smaller ones if needed.

TransatlanticCityGirl Wed 15-Jun-11 16:42:52

I'm not speaking from experience (I'm due next week) but I've surveyed friends and family on the same question and seems like Huggies comes out the winner. We've bought newborn size 1, and we also got a pack of size 2. We figured it doesn't hurt to buy the next size up now....
(we also got a pack of Pampers to compare...)
I've also done a little price comparison check and seems like they are cheapest from Tesco. I'm anal retentive like that smile

fairy1978 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:29:44

I am pregnant with dc3 and with all of them I have used Nature babycare nappies. They are more bio-degradable than most (I think 70%) so it feels like I am doing my bit. I have never had any problems with them. They are different sizes than pampers and huggies. I have bought size 1 for when it comes out as this covers from 4lb to 11lb. Hoping I don't have a baby bigger than that!! Good luck, but I think that it is trial and error-I was lucky I bought them with my first and never had any problems!

Sniffybobs Wed 15-Jun-11 20:13:29

Thanks all, seems like it's going to be trail and error. I'm currently 26 weeks and seem to have started having new dilema's everyday. So many things keep popping in my head and i have no idea at all. lol.
Buying more than one size sounds like a brilliant idea though thanks transatlantcicitygirl

nannyl Wed 15-Jun-11 21:47:52

it depends on the shape of the baby

Some children i have nannies for have been fine in huggies... and leak through pampers.
Another baby I nannied for was fine in pampers but always leaked through huggies...

I have cared for children who use Tesco own (and to me have seemed better than both pampers and huggies) and others have used aldi own (much cheaper) with no issues at all!

Personally im a cloth fan, (and have used cloth with much more sucess than disposables) but then thats a whole new ball game. Im 27 weeks pg and will be using cloth on mine!

if you want disposable start by getting a few packs in size 1.

howabout Wed 15-Jun-11 22:27:42

My 2DCs have very sensitive skin and I found Huggies best at not causing irritation. We did get leaks though!

osd Wed 15-Jun-11 22:38:03

Ok, to throw a wobbler into the mix. I use washables, real nappies have done for all 3 dc. You can get newborn nappies with a v shape at the top as to not bother the cord. I have some here at home bout new of ebay but i cannot remember what they where called and have used motherease favorite bran and others tots bots and more. I am a bit of a cloth addict. If you can find an over wrap that pretty much stops leaks like motherease, real nappies are amazing . And it feels good not to spend £20 a week on nappies. And a tip by value wipes also amazing and 18p over £1.20 is an amazing saving. Good luck with everything.

CherryPie3 Thu 16-Jun-11 09:40:20

Hi smile

I've had 3 children and with each I've used different brands:

Dd - pampers only (pfb and all that wink) until she was 16mths when ds1 arrived.

Ds1 - some pampers that came with the bounty packs, but mostly asda's own brand as finances were being tested with 2 sets of nappies to buy for.

Ds2 - pampers have leaked magnificently with him, as have asda's own. Only ones we've had success with is huggies.

Hope this helps smile

(ps: if I'd have had my way with ds2 I would have gone for cloth but dh was having none of it)

nannyl Thu 16-Jun-11 09:53:04

osd are you thinking of kissaluvs size 0?

babycarmen Thu 16-Jun-11 10:14:04

I tried them all with DD. I loved huggies for when she was a newborn but as she got older i didnt like them much. Tesco own brand and pampers were both great for her. I found boots own to be terrible and wouldnt buy them again..

nicolamumof3 Thu 16-Jun-11 10:17:30

depends on the child so wouldn't buy too much of anyone brand. personally for me i like pampers on newborns i find them best fit after three children. But as they get older it all changes dependent on the child shape and how much they wee basically!!

I bought two large and two small packs of pampers size 1 newborn as they were on offer at Asda's i might get a packet of huggies in size two to compare as they've changed i think since ds3 was born nearly four years ago!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Jun-11 10:22:20

Agree with the others that it will be trial and error. As for the hospital, just get a small pack of newborn, it'll be fine.

Aldi's nappies are good and cheap too.

Have you thought of using washables?

harassedinherpants Thu 16-Jun-11 11:26:22

With dd I used Tesco's or Pampers. Huggies were the wrong shape and leaked, she was a skinny one! I've also had friends rave about Lidl's too. It's very much trial and error!

lolajane2009 Thu 16-Jun-11 11:33:36

I've bought a pack of asdas ready for my baby to be bon in september. i am slightly ashamed I went for price as I have a big stash of reusables and only plan on using disposables at the hospital and if he cant fit. Also got the size 2s as both my neices were large and his measurements, except leg length, were larger than average at 20 weeks.

osd Thu 16-Jun-11 21:16:03

nannyl, not kissiluvs, they where about £3.00 a nappy and wraps were about £5.00 prorap classic sounds right but i cannot remember. They had a red stitched line under the cord cut out and were amazing to use and so cheap and effective.

pecanpie Thu 16-Jun-11 22:02:50

I've tried Pampers, Huggies and Tesco own brand and have to say I prefer Huggies. Nothing beats Huggies Newborn (sizes 1 and 2) for softness and I never would have used anything else. Tesco is fine but Huggies Superdry is a more streamlined/slimmer and better fitting product. They are always on offer and are better value than Pampers. Pampers nappies these days are prone to leaking. They never used to, until they 'improved' the product last year. They had loads of complaints about leaking and their response was (including a video test on their site if I remember correctly) that all liquid is absorbed into the nappy after 5 minutes. Can you tell me of a baby who can wait 5 minutes for the liquid to be absorbed? Of course the nappy is going to leak, especially once babies start to move around! Wet nappies where liquid takes time to absorb also make babies prone to nappy rash.
Huggies Natural Fit (size 3 onwards) are also lovely - just a bit more expensive, but worth looking out for when on offer.

firstsupermum Thu 16-Jun-11 22:08:05

i tried most of the brand with my first but i prefer huggies or sainsbury's own brand little ones, they are very good, and good quality and cheap, i am planning to use them for my 2nd one is well.

MummyAbroad Thu 16-Jun-11 22:30:00

I went through all cheap and expensive brands and found they ALL leaked while DS was newborn (9 pounds and chubby legged), so ended up sticking to Tesco's own (best of the cheapies IMO) until he was 2/3 months. After that there is definitely a difference in cheap vs huggies/pampers. The expensive brands cut down on nappy rash a lot and prevent leaks much better, but as I said for me it was only worthwhile when he was older!

My niece was born 6 pounds and needed premie ones/newborn cut down to size - just take a pair of scissors to some to get a smaller fit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now