Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Paracetamol and Deep Heat - very unsure about advice from doctor

(16 Posts)
KatieWatie Wed 15-Jun-11 14:01:32

I'm currently 24wks and in absolutely agonising back pain (following an injury in early pregnancy). I thought it would go away but it hasn't and if anything is getting worse. I finally went to the doctors on Monday, she has referred me to a physio which is great, and said all I could do in the meantime was take painkillers and use Deep Heat.

I am a bit hmm about this as I am sure I have read that both are a no no in pregnancy. I checked again with her and she said "no, for sure Paracetamol is absolutely fine, and if you think about it how can anything you put on your skin harm your baby?"...

I know I should trust a GP but my DH was shocked when I told him that's what she said and it's made me even more unsure. However I do want to manage the pain as I am getting so it's difficult driving to work, every time I brake I get shooting pains sad

What is the collective opinion from responses from your own GPs? Thanks!

TotalChaos Wed 15-Jun-11 14:03:38

always understood no issue with paracetamol if taken for good reason in PG. never really thought about Deep Heat but no reason to doubt GP's medical training in this instance.

cazzybabs Wed 15-Jun-11 14:04:45

No idea about deepheat but Paracetamol is fine ... I do actually distruct GPs as they have no idea about what is safe and not safe

cazzybabs Wed 15-Jun-11 14:06:17

(sorry breastfeeding) for pregnancy and breast feeding - but generally things say not safe for pregnancy and breast feeding because it costs to much to test them and to find willing pregnant people to undergo medical trials

nunnie Wed 15-Jun-11 14:06:51

I was prescribed paracetamol by obstetrician when discharged from hospital a couple of weeks ago and was also given paracetamol IV whilst in there.

No experience with Deep Heat though sorry.

nannyl Wed 15-Jun-11 14:08:33

paracetamol is definitely fine while pregnant (one of the only things that a pharmacist will let you buy!)

KatieWatie Wed 15-Jun-11 14:15:30

Thanks all, I will pop some pills. I just worry about paracetamol as I would normally have about 1 paracetamol a year, and I'm concerned that's the same as never drinking anything and then suddenly getting absolutely hammered when pregnant!

Scheherezadea Wed 15-Jun-11 14:18:45

I'm 23 weeks, and like you, get bad back and side pain.

The single BEST remedy I have found is a hot water bottle - old fashioned deep heat!

Boil a keyttle, whack it on and sit and relax grin I thought deep heat was a nono because of the ibuprofen - and hot water bottles are much better anyway

realise I sound like a mad old woman

KatieWatie Wed 15-Jun-11 14:23:23

Thanks Scheherezadea, will give that a whirl... wonder if I can actually buy a hot water bottle at this time of year!

TransatlanticCityGirl Wed 15-Jun-11 16:50:47

paracetamol is absolutely fine and I've been taking it throughout my pregnancy when needed.

in fact, my midwife told me that when I go into labour, pop 2 tablets and get into the bath for a bit and it will sort out pain from the contractions for a number of hours.

YBR Sat 25-Jun-11 09:18:13

I remember asking the Doc about DeepHeat for wrist problems previously, and he advised not. Paracetamol is generally considered fine but other painkillers have never been tested on pregnant women (not that they are positively harmful, just untested) so they generally say to avoid them.

Hot waterbottles/wheaties can be helpful, and do go back to your Doc or ask a Pharmacist if you feel the need.

Sarah159 Sat 25-Jun-11 09:22:29

Also, if you have a back injury, a cranial osteopath can help - I had a terrible back injury in pregnancy and the osteopath sorted it. If you can find one that has experience of pregnancy even better

Panzee Sat 25-Jun-11 09:23:45

If you're nervous about Deep Heat how about tiger balm?

wonkylegs Sat 25-Jun-11 09:37:37

Paracetamol is def fine in pregnancy, I've never used deep heat but if it has any NSAIDs in it ie. Ibroprofen it should be avoided
I have rheumatoid arthritis and it got a lot worse during pregnancy so I know what you are going through , 8mths in serious pain was no joke sad
Heat is good, try wheatbags instead of hot water bottles they go in the microwave and often smell nice too - you should be able to get wheatbags & hotwaterbottles from larger branches of big chemists like boots all year round
If you are still suffering after a couple of weeks ask for a referral to a pregnancy physio they can assess you, give you simple exercises to help and may provide you with some kind of support if necessary - I got to wear a lovely giant elastic band support for the later stages of pregnancy as my hips were in agony & without it, I wouldn't have been able to walk
Hope you get some relief soon

Tangle Sat 25-Jun-11 10:36:32

Paracetamol is fine. I was also told cocodamol is ok if paracetamol isn't working.

Don't rule out the deep heat entirely. From what I can see it doesn't contain ibuprofen - the active ingredient that would have the potential to cause concern is methyl salicylate, which is related to aspirin. Bear in mind that absorption through skin is very different to absorption through your gastro-intestinal tract. Using it continually very day - probably not a good idea. Using it at bed time to try and help you get some rest every few days - very unlikely to cause a problem.

I don't agree with the detail of what your GP said (IMO topical applications can reach your bloodstream and so have the potential to reach your baby - depending on exactly what it could be harmful) but I do think that in this instance the risks are minimal and the potential benefit to you could be significant.

That said, if a hot water bottle, etc, gives you relief then it's not an issue smile. Fingers crossed it works and that your physic appointment comes through soon for a more lasting solution.

ToriaPumpkin Sat 25-Jun-11 11:15:18

I was told no Ibuprofen gel but that Deep Heat was fine by both my pharmacist and midwife as I've had constant joint and muscle pain from about ten weeks, however I also found that a hot water bottle generally does the job just fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now