Talk

Advanced search

Anterior Placenta

(24 Posts)
CMD83 Tue 14-Jun-11 19:27:40

Hi,
I have been told I have this today at 13wks, I know a lot can change as its early days. Just wondering if this will have any implications? This is my second preg.
Thanks

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 14-Jun-11 19:32:18

Anterior placenta isn't usually of significant concern medically but it might have some subtle consequences.

You probably won't feel baby move as early or as strong. Midwife might struggle to hear 'proper' heartbeat but will hear placenta loud and clear so not a huge issue. And baby is more likely to be back to back cos they tend to face placenta.

None is of huge medical concern though.

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Jun-11 19:32:40

It just means that the placenta is attached to the front of your uterus instead of the back (posterior placenta). It's quite normal and pretty common. It does have a couple of implications. Firstly, it means that you might not feel movement as early or as obviously as with your first as it cushions the baby.

Secondly, you are slightly more likely to have a baby in the back to back position. It's more likely with an anterior placenta as babies just like to face the placenta. BUT even with an anterior placenta, the majority of babies don't settle in a back to back position, it's only a slight increase in possibility. And they can turn at any time and even if they stay in that position, it's not necessarily a concern for delivery.

CMD83 Tue 14-Jun-11 19:39:59

Thanks!

Africagirl1 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:02:13

I have one too and still not feeling much movement at 20 weeks. Frustrating!

cookie9 Tue 14-Jun-11 21:01:30

I have this too and not feeling much yet although have heard heartbeat with my Doppler. I am 18 weeks.
If placenta is low lying can be of concern but the placenta can move as pregnancy progresses.

WinterLover Tue 14-Jun-11 21:12:24

I have one too, I didnt feel anything until about 22/23 weeks and then it was proper kicks so I missed out on the flutterings stage. Midwife has always been able to find the HB and I have always found it at home too. Only thing they are having a problem with is confirming the position of the baby, it mainly sits breech but because of where the placenta is on me they can t 'confirm' it so I may have to have a scan later on (36/38 weeks) to confirm positioning.

nunnie Tue 14-Jun-11 21:15:09

I had an anterior with my last one, it only affected feeling movements, I felt them later.

This time I have a low lying one (close to the cervix) I need another scan at 34 weeks to see if it has moved away, if it hasn't then it becomes complicated apparently, but it is more common for it to move than not.

Did they mention if you had a low lying one or just and anterior?

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Jun-11 21:23:48

I'd imagine they'd have made it clear to the op if it was low lying as they should advise about the need for a later scan and what to do if you experience any pain/bleeding. I hope so anyway. smile Fingers crossed yours moves up in time nunnie, they usually do.

I had an anterior placenta with dd and agree that while it was harder to feel her earlier on, once she was big enough to fill the entire space, she made her presence known.

pettyprudence Tue 14-Jun-11 21:31:24

I had an anterior placenta and my ds movements were always minimal. He was back to back right up until a couple of hours before he was born and then he turned [phew!]

nunnie Tue 14-Jun-11 21:33:26

I thought that too to be honest ShowOfHands and I'm sure they would have mentioned it had it been the case.

I am not too concerned as I know they usually move and pregnancy is full of things to worry about, so thought I would focus on those for now and worry about the placenta if I need to after the 34 weeks scan.

DS and this one both seem to be the same as others, I didn't feel flutters early on, just full on kicks was 20 weeks with DS and with this one 23 weeks.

lollystix Tue 14-Jun-11 22:27:39

Oh god - I hadn't realised could mean back to back. I still have nightmares about my first back to back 50 hour emcs labour. Bugger!!!! This is my 4th baby but first anterior placenta- hopefully they'll be room in there for turning.

CMD83 Wed 15-Jun-11 07:45:43

They never said it was low lying. Just that tit was in front of baby. hopefully yours will move nunnie

sarahmia Wed 15-Jun-11 08:35:49

I have an anterior placenta and i felt baby move at 18 weeks, have never really had a prob feeling it move (apart from in my head) grin me found hb first at 16 weeks and baby is in perfect position at 34 weeks, head down back to left side. Don't worry, trust me, if they are worried, you would know about it!

Valiant1 Wed 15-Jun-11 08:50:36

I have an anteria with this baby and have been told no majure concerns i get some pain if i turn too quick or sneeze am 25 weeks so am going speak to the midwife today also cant walk very fast as i get cramp. i feel alot of movement on my cervix like she coming out sometimes. I had an anteria low lying with my ds2 and it was a night mare i was in so much pain couldn't walk very far at all. it had moved y 36 weeks it was tuch and go weather i would need the c section.

moonbells Wed 15-Jun-11 09:48:47

I had anterior - didn't feel movements till 23 weeks. And when I fell over and bounced some weeks later, I could at least be grateful that there was extra padding...

However I ended up having ELCS as DS was an extended breech - will never know if that was linked to the placenta position as well.

WinterLover Wed 15-Jun-11 09:56:30

Moon interesting you say that, as my baby is breech at the min too hmm wonder if it is connected...

jojodancer Wed 15-Jun-11 11:00:42

moonbells & winterlover I also have an anterior placenta and baby is currently breech at 30 weeks. I hadn't made any connection but am also now wondering if it is...

nunnie Wed 15-Jun-11 11:13:12

I had anterior previously but wasn't breech. Did however need EMCS as he was brow don't think that was connected to the placenta position though.

lovemybabyboy Wed 15-Jun-11 11:59:55

I had one with my son, I felt him move at 19 weeks and propper kicks at 24 weeks, when I was giving birth my son was coming out facing sideways! so facing my leg not facing up or down, his heartrate dropped from 150bpm to 50bpm so had to have ventouse delivery.
At the start of this pregnancy with dc2 I told midwife about this and she said that should not have happened that they should have known i had anterior and they should have been prepared for that!!!
Nobody mentioned the fact that I had an anterior placenta to me throughout my whole pregnancy....I only knew from reading 20 week scan results!

I am 21+4 weeks with dc2 and found out last week at scan that I have an anterior placenta AGAIN!!! I felt baby move at 18/19 weeks and have been feeling propper kicks over the last week, I can even see my belly move from the outside when it does big kicks! smile
I have midwife tomorrow so am going to make sure everyone knows I have anterior placenta this time!!!

icravecheese Wed 15-Jun-11 12:41:51

I have a low lying anterior placenta, so rescan at 34wks. THis is my 3rd preg & never had anterior placenta before so finding it a little disconcerting to only just be feeling muffled kicks now at 22.5wks.

My friend had an EMCS last yr as her baby was breech (only detected as breech once she went into labour at36wks)...and they said afterwards it was likely to be related to the fact that she had an anterior placenta...which no-body talked about for her entire preg... so think there is defo some sort of connection btwn breech & anterior...

moonbells Wed 15-Jun-11 13:03:20

OK I have been doing a little research... and am now extremely glad I turned down an ECV!

This might be a little TMI: I'm searching in PubMed, the medical publications database.

Not found any connections between having an anterior placenta and breech, however there are significantly more cases of ECV failure (and in one case study, foetal death) in anterior placenta breech presentations.

Another (recent) study's results are :

"The success rate of ECV was 52.2% (n=261). The variables significantly associated with success were parity, placental location, amount of amniotic fluid, and type of breech (P<0.05). A parity of 2 had a 3.74-times higher probability of success than nulliparity (95% CI, 2.37-5.90); a posterior placenta increased the success rate by 2.85 times compared with an anterior placenta (95% CI, 1.87-4.36); and double footling breech presentation had a 2.77-times higher success rate compared with a frank breech presentation (95% CI, 1.16-6.62). The area under the ROC curve showed a predictive ability of 73.6% (95% CI, 69.2%-77.9%) for these 3 variables."
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011 Jan;112(1):48-51.

I was nulliparous, frank breech and anterior placenta. ECV was unlikely to have worked!

Have found a seriously old (1952) paper on just this subject, but it didn't find anything. Then again they didn't have ultrasound then...

WinterLover Wed 15-Jun-11 16:21:07

Our trust wont do an EVC if you are breech and if you have an anteria placenta due to the risk of rupturing the placenta..

WinterLover Wed 15-Jun-11 16:21:40

I meant ECV...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now