Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you announce your pregnancy?

(27 Posts)
RunningDay Tue 14-Jun-11 16:22:20

I'm 8+2 weeks today, and had a routine ultrasound this morning, everything progressing fine smile

Would I be crazy to start telling people I'm pregnant?

Part of the reason I don't want to wait is that I hate the prospect of people inspecting my waistline and speculating, especially at work - perhaps I'm paranoid, but it being summer and a second pregnancy, maybe not!

DH prefers to wait to be on the safe side, but if there were complications later on, I don't think I would be able to keep it a secret by that point anyway.

What did you all do? [indecisive] grin

WinterLover Tue 14-Jun-11 16:29:04

We told all family after scan at 13 weeks, although i had 2 previous scans we still waited. For us it was the best thing to do.

Oh Congratulations grin

lolajane2009 Tue 14-Jun-11 16:30:54

after first scan at just under 12 weeks.

bufforpingtonchick Tue 14-Jun-11 16:32:13

We told family and and close friends at around the 8 week mark, and announced it to the world after the 12 week scan smile

Awomancalledhorse Tue 14-Jun-11 16:36:17

Told In-laws at 5 weeks (because I did pregnancy test just before we left to stay at theirs for a weekend), MIL told everyone she knew the same day (first GC, she's gone into knitting overdrive).

Glad we told everyone early as we've had to cancel a few things since then, and as MIL is a trained midwife (currently working another nursing role) we've been able to phone her with every little niggle & complaint.
Downside is telling people so early means I feel like I've been pregnant for bloody ages!!

Congratulations!

VioletV Tue 14-Jun-11 16:36:40

I told my mum within 2 days of finding out. I didn't see the point in waiting 12 weeks to then tell her. told everyone else after my 12 week scan

ToriaPumpkin Tue 14-Jun-11 16:42:03

We told the in laws when I was 4+3 which sounds so very early, but it was the only chance we were going to get to see them in person for a long time and we swore them to secrecy, we told my mum and step-dad a few days later and a few close friends about six weeks. Everyone else we told after the scan at nearly 13 weeks. Having said that, someone I went to uni with only found out the other day from something I said on facebook and I'm nearly 21 weeks now!

NatzCNL Tue 14-Jun-11 18:29:13

We told most people with our first 2 DD's around 10 weeks as I couldn't contain my excitement. We told people at 6 weeks with DD3, but the pregnancy came to an end at 15 weeks due to a fatal heart condition, and it was very difficult letting everyone know (it was discovered at the 12 week scan so we knew what was coming), even worse was friends we hadn't realised knew contacting us to see how the bump was coming along a couple of months after our loss.
With DD4 we told our parents at 10 weeks because of the stress and worry, but kept it a secret from other family and friends until 16 weeks - and only because DD1 & DD2 were convinced I was hiding a baby in my tummy...!!!
Having regular scans and this pregnancy is progressing very well, 25 +5 now xx

sarahloula Tue 14-Jun-11 18:30:54

We told family as soon as we found out and I told work when I was about 8 weeks pregnant.

unfitmother Tue 14-Jun-11 18:33:29

At 12 weeks for my first.
I lost DS2 at 22 weeks and it was so hard 'un-telling' people that I waited until 20 weeks with DD before I told anyone - even my Mum!

wompoopigeon Tue 14-Jun-11 18:35:54

With my first pregnancy I kept quiet until after the 12 week scan.
With this one I have told my parents (as Dad is very ill and I didn't want him to die suddenly without knowing about his second gc). I also told my brother as I am not travelling as much as I might because of sickness. And I have told three close friends, who I would feel comfortable un-telling if needs be, and indeed who would support me in any loss.
Def not telling work till after the scan though. Baggy jackets all the way.

curlyeve Tue 14-Jun-11 18:40:26

I personally told my parents at 9 weeks as everyone was guessing as I had HG and was so ill, then I told everyone at 12 weeks smile However my SIL told lots of people earlier than me and then she lost the baby, this made it all very difficult for her to explain to everyone when she didnt really want to talk about it. So theres lots of pros and cons :D Congratulatios by the way!!

Flisspaps Tue 14-Jun-11 18:52:47

Told DM and ILs at about 6 weeks, DF and siblings at 11 weeks and then announced it to the rest of the world 2 days later in DH's wedding speech smile

Haudyerwheesht Tue 14-Jun-11 19:00:55

Told my mum straight away both time.

Told in laws after 12 week scan both times.

Told everyone else between 20 and 26 weeks both times.

Haudyerwheesht Tue 14-Jun-11 19:00:55

Told my mum straight away both time.

Told in laws after 12 week scan both times.

Told everyone else between 20 and 26 weeks both times.

redexpat Tue 14-Jun-11 19:31:12

Family and close friends who live in foreign countries at 6 weeks.

Zumba students guessed at 9, politely asked at 10.

Everyone else 12 weeks.

My fellow expat from down the road started telling more people earlier and then miscarried at 10 weeks.

RickGhastley Tue 14-Jun-11 19:41:26

With DS we told my sis immediately and everyone else after the 12 week scan.

With PG number 2 we were planning the same but sadly m/c at 10 weeks - I'm so glad we didn't have to untell anyone, I was really not up to that at the time!

Now PG again (6+2) and you lot are the first people I've told smile

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Jun-11 19:46:08

I didn't tell people. I waited until they noticed.

RunningDay Wed 15-Jun-11 10:12:24

Thanks everyone, and my thoughts are with those who have experienced a loss sad.

I've decided to keep schtum for now. Will tell work at 12 weeks probably. SoH I am loving the idea of waiting until people notice, if only to see how long it is before they are brave enough to ask! grin

shellmc Wed 15-Jun-11 21:04:55

I told my mam and dad and DH parents straight away, work colleuges 8 weeks and evryone else at 12 weeks!!! xxx

cupofteaplease Wed 15-Jun-11 21:06:29

In this pregnancy- Family at 8 weeks, work, then friends at 13 weeks.

jammyscone Wed 15-Jun-11 23:03:46

One close friend at about 6 weeks, everyone else after 20 week scan including grandparents, still telling some people now at 26 weeks ("no, I haven't just got fatter...")

PinkFondantFancy Thu 16-Jun-11 07:31:48

Another vote here for not really telling people. I told my family at about 8 weeks (I'd previously had a MC around that time) but have only told friends as and when they've noticed in real life. I haven't done any Facebook announcement or anything like that - figured that real life friends would see in real life!!

DialMforMummy Thu 16-Jun-11 08:09:46

told parents pretty much straight away (5 weeks or so)
told close friends soon after and then the rest. I told work at about 8 weeks because it made sense at the time.
I felt that if I MCed I'd need the support of family and close friends anyway so that's why I told them.

RunningDay Mon 20-Jun-11 18:04:45

Well the cat's out of the bag, to MIL at least. She guessed while staying with us this weekend. smile

Am now 9 weeks, but think I'll need to tell work before 12 week scan as well. There are teambuilding days coming up in early July and I may need to excuse myself from unsuitable activities (can't plan ahead, it's only revealed on the day). When I was pregnant with DS1 they went caving hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now