Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnancy Yoga

(10 Posts)
PotteringAlong Tue 14-Jun-11 13:17:32

has anyone done it? I've got the chance to go to a class but I've never done anything like this before (and am not very bendy at all!) and was wandering if anyone had found it useful?

Cattleprod Tue 14-Jun-11 13:20:26

Yes I've just started a course. I think it will be good. I have low blood pressure so all the slow breathing we did made me feel sick and dizzy, but it's pelvic floors next week which should be useful.

LadyGoneGaga Tue 14-Jun-11 13:29:39

Really useful. I've been doing it since about 20 weeks. brilliant for keeping back and pelvis mobile and easing discomfort. Also great for relaxation. you don't have to be bendy - people there at all kinds of levels and it's really not a competition and the movements are really very gentle compared to non-pregnancy yoga. You can adapt all of the positions as well. For example I have SPD so modify a lot of the movements. Make sure you have a good instructor who does this kind of stuff. you'll love it!

hayesgirl Tue 14-Jun-11 13:33:35

I've been doing this since i was 15 weeks and I've found it really helpful. Its not like "normal" yoga so you dont need to be bendy (which is good for me).

the breathing exercises are really good too. Even if you dont get a huge amount of benefit from the exercises at first (i found going from intermediate/advanced pilates to pregnancy yoga the stretches were not challenging and I wasnt sure what the benefit was until I got a bump, achy back etc from later pregnancy) its nice to take the time out just for yourself purely to relax - how often do we usually get to do that??!

I really notice now if i havent been for a week.

jasmine51 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:03:57

Yup been doing it from 6 wks! Very useful at all stages but best of all in later weeks for the birthing positions and the pain threshold exercises. Missing it now as yoga teacher is too pg herself. Being bendy is not a requirement but I would suggest that you will feel the benefit if you try it...and might get more bendy!

Buranda Tue 14-Jun-11 14:06:28

I would definitely recommend it. Pregnancy yoga allows me to stretch a lot, practise breathing techniques and relax. Plus it's nice to meet other mums-to-be. I've been doing a course for 4 weeks now and I have to rush there after work, but afterwards, feel very calm and relaxed. Don't worry about being bendy, you can adapt all poses and the instructor will advise you. Go for it!

KatieWatie Tue 14-Jun-11 14:40:09

I've got a general fear of communal exercise, but I bought a pregnancy yoga DVD and it's really great... if only for the fact it makes me feel like I'm 'doing something' instead of just vegging out every night after work smile

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Jun-11 17:11:47

Thank you! It's a special pregnancy yoga one, only 5 people per class. Am looking forward to it now - going to give it a go!

Riddzy Tue 14-Jun-11 17:38:50

I also recommend it - but from later on. I did it from 20 - 24 weeks and found it a little sedate. Now I've reached 36 weeks I can appreciate the breathing/relaxation exercises much more.

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Jun-11 20:28:13

Just got home and feel very relaxed! Will stick with this one I think!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: