Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

calling any pregnant hayfever sufferers....?

(28 Posts)
SeptMummy Tue 14-Jun-11 11:08:07

I get hayfever, sneezing, itchy eyes, stuffed up and am 26wks pregnant! There doesnt seem to be much I can take - I usually take clarityn and works well but that is not allowed whilst pregnant.... any ideas?

amberleaf Tue 14-Jun-11 11:12:12

Hi

Im not pregnant now but i did suffer with hayfever when i was.

It was pretty awful especially when i was really big as coupled with the terrible heartburn i started to feel like i was being suffocated!

You have my sympathies [not that that helps you much!]

Dont know if you have seen this;

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/935.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=129

It says that some antihistamines are ok to use.

RunnerHasbeen Tue 14-Jun-11 11:14:27

I use a nose spray and eye drops, which keep on top of the worst of it (along with all recommendations about not drying bed sheets outside, which normally I don't have to heed too carefully as drugs take care of it).

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 14-Jun-11 11:21:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

harassedinherpants Tue 14-Jun-11 11:22:25

I'm 12 weeks and suffering too!

I think you can take Beconase, but am going to book a doctors appointment anyway. I seem to remember the pharmacist wouldn't actually sell me anything when I was last preg.........

silverangel Tue 14-Jun-11 13:27:36

My GP prescribed me beconase yesterday - get it on prescrption - its free!

harassedinherpants Tue 14-Jun-11 14:03:43

That's my plan silver....appointment on Thursday am.

babybumpx Tue 14-Jun-11 14:14:21

NELSONS POLLENNA....I usually suffer from it horrendously but these are working fine, im going to stay with them from now as find they are much better than any other product I have used.

scepticalexpat Tue 14-Jun-11 14:29:56

Benadryl is OK, as is loratadine, I think - check with your doctor though as this is US advice.

iWILLdothis Wed 15-Jun-11 20:05:37

I bought prevalin in Boots today. too early to say if it is helping or not.

Batteryhuman Wed 15-Jun-11 20:06:31

I was prescribed Flixonase and eye drops

dribbleface Wed 15-Jun-11 20:40:55

Flixonase and piriton here. Have to say flixonase has pretty much sorted it.

NoWayNoHow Wed 15-Jun-11 20:43:51

I was prescribed chlorphenamine when pregnant- it's the active ingredient in Piriton and other over the counter remedies. If you go to your GP, they can prescribe it for you and then you dont have to pay if you use your Maternity Exemption card smile

buttonmoon78 Wed 15-Jun-11 21:11:04

I take cetrizine hydrochloride on gp's advice. Loratidine is just as ok.

It is not that they are proved as unsafe, it is that testing on pg women is unethical. They have both been used for decades with no reported problems so are 'assumed' to be safe in practice.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 15-Jun-11 21:13:53

my gp prescribed some things for me - eye drops, tablets and nose spray. I've only used the nose spray as it seems enough.

exhausted2011 Wed 15-Jun-11 21:14:43

there is stuff you can take, GP will prescribe

marl Wed 15-Jun-11 21:30:44

It all depends on your GP. Mine is totally extreme and now being treated amazingly successfully at the Royal Brompton with Grazax. However, when pregnant with DS1 and 2 I was 'not allowed' to take anything because my GP said so and suffered tremendously - ended up in tears to NHS direct and the local pharmacist to no avail! Last time round with DS3 the Royal Brompton said 'of course' I could take cetirizine Hydrochloride and eye drops. For me the antihistamine only work really if I've taken them consistently early in the season though. Good luck with it all. Otherwise all the usual stuff like don't go out early evening, get changed all clothes/shower once you've been outside in the day etc. Wishing you all the best...

nannyl Wed 15-Jun-11 21:43:06

yup agree go to GP

Pharmacist wont sell it to you but GP can / will prescribe it.

The anti sickness tablets that some people (like me!) take throughout pregnancy are antihistamines in their own right.

Pharmacist was telling me that while he couldnt sell me eye drops, but a dr can prescribe them, and then he would give them to me free (on free prescription)

SeptMummy Fri 17-Jun-11 12:29:10

Thank you everyone, trying nelson pollena at moment, hope its OK, no real feed back on product but as totally natural should be OK.... Seeing Midwife next week so will check again then.

nannyl Fri 17-Jun-11 13:22:54

sept mummy.

while nelsons pollenna may be ok, bear in mind not everything natural IS ok.
Even some herbal teas and natural aromatherapy oils which are natural are not safe during all stages of pregnancy. smile

iWILLdothis Fri 17-Jun-11 14:51:44

Don't waste your money on prevalin.....not working for me at all, I may as well be taking smarties sad. Miserable

Pudding2be Fri 17-Jun-11 14:59:22

If your eyes and nose are burning, I also use a cold wet flannel on my face

Another tip is fill a sink full of cold water and put your face in it. If you can manage it open you eyes (not while wearing contacts wink)

The most bizarre one I used to do as a child was stick my head in my mums chest freezer. The freezing cold air brought instant relief smile

A bit strange I know but sometimes you'll try anything grin

Sumi76 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:23:46

I suffered from the same...holland barrert has a hayfever balm to apply near the nostrils which helps. They also have homeopathic medication which my midwife told me about. Kindly check before buying from yours though. Take care.

ab7amn Mon 27-Jun-11 21:39:42

I have beconase and eye drops from the doctor but its hit badly tonight. We just need rain....My GP was looking into piriton which he thought was OK - has anyone else been prescribed this?

A trick I was told a few years ago is put a bit of vaseline under your nose as this catches the pollen.

nannyl Mon 27-Jun-11 21:44:30

i have spend today with ice cold wet flannels over my itchy sore burny hayfevery eyes.

It has helped a bit i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now