Talk

Advanced search

Gaining too much weight!

(8 Posts)
Clare123 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:04:20

I am 24 weeks pg, and have gained a stone and a half (21 lbs). I know this is way too much but all I want to eat is choc/cakes/sweets. I just really fancy sugar all the time. I know that's that no excuse and this time next year I am going to be crying as I try to sqeeze into my jeans! (I was a normal 9 1/2 stone, 5ft 5inch before getting pg!). Someone tell me to top before I have another biscuit?

lolajane2009 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:07:21

doesnt seem like too much to me tbh. I think I am about the same, started about same weight, but 5ft 2.4, although hubby has hid the scales.

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Jun-11 11:08:46

You're stuck in a cycle of needing a quick boost and then dropping quickly into low blood sugar. You need to do two things. One, make sure your iron levels/bp/blood sugar are okay with the midwife. Two, make some changes to your diet that will prevent the cravings....

Drink more fluids, keep a bottle with you at all times and sip from it

Have a decent breakfast with slow release energy such as oats (yum, porridge)

Have healthy snacks in the house. Flapjacks are still sweet but if you make your own and pack them with fruit, oats and seeds, you'll feel fuller for longer. Have a bowl of fruit salad in the fridge, sandwiches ready made, batch make some soup etc etc

Chuck out the crap so you aren't tempted

Exercise gently and regularly

And don't worry too much. I put on more weight in the middle bit of pregnancy and then it slowed down.

Chandon Tue 14-Jun-11 11:08:47

Oh, I put on 3 stone. But lost most of it later (no diet). Don't beat yourself up.

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Jun-11 11:11:42

I agree. The weight gain isn't bad at all tbh. It's something like 4lbs in the first trimester and then 1lb a week in the second so over a stone is normal isn't it.

But the cravings just end up making you feel sluggish and tired in the end.

Clare123 Tue 14-Jun-11 12:15:04

Thank you all for replying.

Showoffhands - brilliant advice. I do feel really lethargic all the time, so I will mention it to the midwife in a couple of weeks. Thanks ever so much for replying and taking the time. Really good sensible advice.

slowshow Tue 14-Jun-11 13:14:57

I'm roughly the same height and pre-preg weight as you, and I've put on the same amount at 26 weeks, so I'm HOPING that isn't considered too much weight!

I'm struggling with cravings for sweet things as well - and like ShowOfHands says, I know it's because my body wants a quick pick-me-up.

SPD symptoms are really preventing me from doing any exercise at all, unfortunately.

Will look into some flapjack recipes!

captainbarnacle Tue 14-Jun-11 13:17:57

I have no idea how much I have put on. Give yourself a break. You have noted you're prob eating too much sugar and bad stuff - try and cut down on that. But don't worry too much about the weight. THere's plenty of time to sort that out after the 9m is up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now