Talk

Advanced search

Pram question - London

(21 Posts)
Eifos21 Tue 14-Jun-11 10:13:48

Hello,

just a quick question that may seem a bit silly to some

Am currently 25+4 and have started to think about what pram to get.
I am intending on ordering it online but would like to see it in person before deciding which one as it seems like a pretty important to get a feel of it.
However; being from Denmark I have absolutely no idea which shops have them. Have tried to look online for stores and have had a look in John Lewis and Mothercare. Have made a list of possible contenders. I live in London with no car and I have only been able to track down a Bugaboo. I would like to have a look at a Mutsy 4 Rider Light and Icandy Apple.
Does anyone know a shop or shops that may have them?
It can't be right that I have to travel to Oxford to have a look?

Thank you x

mousymouse Tue 14-Jun-11 10:16:54

Icandy, I think John Lewis trade them.

wrt to pushchairs in london, I would advise you to buy a pushchair that is easy to get on busses. some are too wide, so you have to get in via the back doors and many busdrivers don't like that.
I have seen many icandy on busses, though, so they should be OK.

nannyl Tue 14-Jun-11 10:22:53

Have a look for an independant pram shop.

perhaps try yellow pages?

also most john lewis's do stock a large range of pushchairs, including bugaboo, phil and teds etc.

silverangel Tue 14-Jun-11 10:24:14

Hi - John Lewis def do the icandy. I found the best selection at John Lewis in Bluewater. I'm after a double and thought the selection in most of the shops was really poor, wouldn't want to spend that amount of money without trying it out first!

Eifos21 Tue 14-Jun-11 10:39:52

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I hadn't thought about looking in the yellow pages and calling around, will definitely do that and John Lewis also have Bugaboo.
Regarding the size issue and transportation Mousemouse I definitely know what you mean. My mum is trying to persuade me to get one in Denmark (as she is buying it for us) but prams in Denmark are like mini beds on wheels and MASSIVE. It is almost a bit comical. Would like to try to get one of those on a bus in London.

mousymouse Tue 14-Jun-11 10:48:41

yep, the teutonia and emmaljunga ones def don't fit easily on the bus here smile
my mother is not happy that we only have a small buggy (use the carrier much more) as they are only to be touched with a bargepole, if at all, in her opinion.

babybumpx Tue 14-Jun-11 14:21:00

The best one for London would be a STOKKE....these are high up and very stylish, very good with all the congestion around london!! apparently better for baby!?

Stokey38 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:24:11

Hello, I would really recommend looking at the Bugaboo Bee for use in London. They are great for getting on buses and can be lifted up stairs if needs be. I don't drive either and pre DC2 (and having to switch to tank like Phil & Teds) I loved it.

Eifos21 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:55:34

Stokey38 do you live in Stoke Newington by any chance? Guessing from your name.

Eifos21 Tue 14-Jun-11 14:57:47

...woops. Posted too quickly. I am in Stoke Newington and leaning towards a Bugaboo but as it is the only one I have seen in the flesh I just want to check the other ones.

Paribus Tue 14-Jun-11 15:08:26

I would go to Harrods and Peter Jones- they both do Bugaboo, Harrods does Stokke and I think Mutsy, Peter Jones does ICandy

meditrina Tue 14-Jun-11 15:09:16

Do you use the bus a lot?

Most (all?) the ones mentioned here don't fold, so you might be unable to get on the bus (and this, by sod's law always happens when it's wet and you need to be somewhere). Also, they're all on the wide side (the Bugaboo Bee is, for example the same width as the biggest model MacLaren - which is sometimes castigated as a behemoth).

Sorry, that's not very encouraging, but a narrow, foldable one is something you might want to think about if you use buses a lot. Not least because on some bus layouts you can get 3x MacLarens (or other narrow) where only 2 of the bigger ones will fit. If you were the 3rd pushchair user wanting to board, you'd like to see that consideration.

Fiendarina Tue 14-Jun-11 15:20:03

If you live in Stoke Newington and will be on and off buses, worth considering the weight and how easy it is to heft around the place. I went for a Micralite Fastfold buggy, with the carrycot attachment for when my baby was first born. It's light and easy to fold, but still has big air-filled tyres at the back to cope with stairs. Several years later I'm still using the buggy and have never regretted not buying a Bugaboo.

EldonAve Tue 14-Jun-11 15:27:55

there might be a peppermint shop near you

Eifos21 Tue 14-Jun-11 15:37:48

Thank you all for your help, really appreciate it.

I have been worried about the size of the ones I like but will find it hard going for a smaller one as I am used to the more old fashioned kind that people use in DK and it would seem so weird for me not to have a 'proper' pram with enough room for the little one to snuggle in.
Never thought it would be such a hard decision.

urbandaisy Tue 14-Jun-11 16:00:41

A friend of mine has the iCandy Peach Blossom twin and can get it on buses, so I have no qualms about the iCandy Peach (single) I've just ordered from John Lewis. John Lewis also definitely have the Apple and the Pear (both of which are a fair bit wider than the Peach). The carrycot is still a very decent size, so it might help overcome that problem for you?

DilysPrice Tue 14-Jun-11 16:15:31

You'll almost certainly end up getting a big bugaboo-type thing for the first 6 months and normal use after that, and also get a sub-100 quid McLaren-type stroller for use on the bus and holidays once DC is past 6 months. So don't get too hung up on the One Pram That Must Do Everything.

VioletV Tue 14-Jun-11 16:18:43

HI I would also recommend Bluewater John Lewis for the Icandy pram. The Apple is lovely but the wheels can burst. I ended up with the Icandy Peach and it's lovely. They have all the icandy prams on display and always helpful staff to help you.

Good luck!

Eifos21 Tue 14-Jun-11 16:21:52

Thank you.
Let the hunt begin.
DilysPrice, I very much expect you to be correct.

mousymouse Tue 14-Jun-11 18:20:30

I am still dreaming of an umbrella type rear facing pushchair. sigh. hat would have the potential to be a 'one and only'

Darlingdamsel Tue 14-Jun-11 18:49:20

I have a Mclaren XLR with a carrycot. Works great all around - the only downside is baby faces the other way. Perfect for London ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now