Talk

Advanced search

Is 24 weeks too early to start counting kicks?

(9 Posts)
Bartimaeus Mon 13-Jun-11 16:07:49

Am 24 weeks today. Started feeling movements about 3 weeks ago and very quickly could feel the baby moving loads. Haven't written it down but have noticed a pattern developing - fairly active early in the morning (especially when I'm walking which is actually quite uncomfortable!), very active after lunch, not much in the afternoon and again active in the evening.

Saturday we had a late night out over at a friend's house and Sunday I was exhausted so stayed in bed all day. The baby barely moved 5 times in the whole day, despite us trying various techniques the midwife had taught us.

I hoped it was just me being so tired.

Today, again, baby barely moved, only 3 times by 3pm which is less than 10% of what I was feeling before. I decided to go to the hospital to get it checked out.

Lovely nurse quickly found the heartbeat to reassure me then went to get the doctor to do a full scan. Doctor was very perplexed as to why I'd come in, saying that it was totally normal not to feel many movements at 24 weeks (it's a first pregnancy, you did lots of sport before getting pregnant, etc.etc.). He couldn't understand why I was worrying, despite me saying that usually I feel the baby loads more than that.

Eventually I got a teeny bit fed up and "innocently" said, "Ah ok, so it's normal to usually feel the baby move loads but then not feel the baby for a few days?" to which he backpeddled loads and said no, not really but I shouldn't worry about monitoring movements until 30 weeks or so...

I came out feeling reassured as I'd seen and heard the heartbeat and seen the baby waving an arm, but am now wondering if I was over-reacting by going in? The midwife had said they would rather 100 false alarms than 1 mum not going in, but I did feel like I wasted everyone's time sad

And no, still can't really feel the baby moving, which I actually miss a lot.

ShowOfHands Mon 13-Jun-11 16:12:22

The baby moves position all the time at this stage which is why it can be normal for you to feel a lot less movement all of a sudden. Especially if they swing round and all the kicks/punches are back towards your back. They're still able to tuck themselves away at this stage.

It is absolutely fine to go in if you're worried and I would always say go as the midwife confirmed. But the doctor is also sort of right because at this stage you can expect to have days of less movement purely because they're smaller. By 28+ weeks, they're more settled in a position they like and less able to hide away.

I'd make the calls based on your own instincts and feelings but be reassured that the doctor is right in some respects.

Bartimaeus Mon 13-Jun-11 16:18:17

Thanks showofhands

I suppose I worried a lot too as DH and I both had an upset stomach after our Saturday evening out, and I panicked that I might have eaten something that harmed the baby confused

'Tis stressful this pregnancy lark! grin

jenrendo Mon 13-Jun-11 16:23:06

Sometimes my DS kicked like a crazy thing, but other times he went for hours without moving. I used to poke him which made him jump, because I was totally paranoid. Then I wished I had left him to sleep as that would be him up and raving. Listen to your own instincts, but try not to worry too much. I know how stressful it is though!

KatieWatie Mon 13-Jun-11 16:23:40

Hi Bartimaeus.

I'm almost exactly the same stage as you (will be 24 on Weds). My baby goes through days where it's literally partying like it's 1999 (this always coincides with me switching the light off on a night lol, hope it's not a sign of things to come), then I will have a couple of days where it's clearly knackered itself out and hardly moves at all. I agree it's very stressful during those times, but I wanted to let you know that it's the same for me!

All the best,
Katie

Tinkerisdead Mon 13-Jun-11 16:28:07

Just a thought but if your likely to worry when all goes quiet, maybe get one of those headset things so you can listen to the heartbeat etc. I know they aren't great at finding heartbeat at early stages but at 24 weeks you should be able to hear more. I've never used one but my sil used hers loads for reassurance.

ShowOfHands Mon 13-Jun-11 16:56:36

I had a doppler for that inbetween stage after a very difficult first trimester with bleeding and cramping (plus a previous miscarriage) and the time when I could actually feel dd moving.

They are a reassuring tool but come with several provisos. One, if you can't find the heartbeat, this does NOT mean there's a problem. You need to be able to put it down and walk away sometimes. Two, the presence of a heartbeat does not mean that everything is automatically fine and leading on from this three, it in no way replaces proper care ie if there is reduced movement or you are concerned, the doppler is NOT enough. It's just a fun, gimmicky, bonding thing and should be used with that in mind.

ShowOfHands Mon 13-Jun-11 16:57:34

Oh and even if you'd ended up with an upset stomach it's highly, highly unlikely to affect the baby. You'd just feel 10x as ill because you're pregnant AND ill.

Newmom2b Mon 13-Jun-11 17:05:48

Hi - I'm 22+4 and I'm exactly the same. Some days I feel lots of movement and other days maybe only a handful of times.... DH can feel some of the stonger kicks now so I try and make sure he feels the baby once a day so that when I start to panic he can reassure me... I sometimes think ''did i really feel the baby today''... I tell you what pregnancy is sooo stressful and worrying... first it was the 12 week scan, and then worried until the 20week scan and now movement! Looks like we're all the same though which is reassuring... xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now