Talk

Advanced search

Informing work??

(7 Posts)
UtterlyMonkey Mon 13-Jun-11 13:53:28

Im 9+4 today, and due to massive changes taking place in the organisation (nationwide), I have been pondering about when to let work know that Im expecting.
My boss has asked me where I see myself in the new structure and her concern, support and protectiveness over the team is making me feel so guilty that I will be leaving them at the end of the year to go on mat leave.
Aaaarghhh... how do I tell her (and eventually the rest of the team) without feeling like a cop-out when things are rough? :-(

BeeMyBaby Mon 13-Jun-11 14:28:55

I would wait until at least you've had your scan, you're unlikely to show until that point and its perfectly reasonable not to tell work until that point.

urbandaisy Mon 13-Jun-11 14:38:05

I think you need to look at it in terms not of 'leaving' to go on mat leave -- you'll be gone for a while, but you need to make sure you're in the best possible place in the new structure, right? And under the law at least, the fact that you'll be taking maternity leave isn't relevant to that role.

If you're feeling well enough not to have told work yet, I'd hold off until after your scan. You may well find her protectiveness to her team extends to one of them being pregnant at a time of big organisational change!

UtterlyMonkey Mon 13-Jun-11 15:32:42

Thank you BeeMyBaby and urbandaisy.
I think Im worried because I respect and really get on with my boss, and don't want to seem like I'm repaying her by stabbing her in the back i.e. being involved in all the planning of the new structures whilst keeping schtum about my situation - which would result in having to rejig the whole structure jigsaw (there's a recruitment freeze) in order to find someone else to fill my shoes in the interim. Oooohhhh... I hate the thought of coming across as cunning/machiavellian! :-(

candr Mon 13-Jun-11 19:32:04

I can sympasthise as we were going through a redundancy when I found out and knew that someone would get told to leave only for me to turn round and say I was leaving anyway, told boss just before going for scan and said that I plnned to leave but would not sign anything stating that tlill much later but it did help her make clearer decision. Did't tell rest of staff till after 12 weeks

talulubell Mon 13-Jun-11 20:29:48

I would keep quiet, until your scan at least, it may feel
Like your being sneaky but remember your not actually leaving, and you want to keep your options open for when u return. I found out I was 7 weeks when my company announced redundancies. I couldn't tell anyone as I knew it would be me that would go, it ended up being my job share partner. I told my colleagues at 13 weeks after a scan and the redundancy period was over.
Your boss may be a friend but your never know how they'll react to you news.

Carnival Mon 13-Jun-11 20:43:07

Congrats on your pregnancy. You have a whole new set of priorities growing inside you. I'd leave it until after your scan, put yourself and your baby first, and you can always say that you wanted to pass the 12 week danger zone and scan before making any announcements, I think that's totally reasonable, also you are not obliged to tell your boss until MUCH later, so you'll be giving much more than the minimum notice.

Good luck
:-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now