Talk

Advanced search

Kicks don't seem to be normal. Help please?

(45 Posts)
StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 18:35:21

Okay so I am 23 weeks and started feeling flutters at around 18 weeks, full kicks since about 20 weeks.

He's got into a routine of hard kicks in the morning and at night, but this morning there was no kicks. Tried lying back and sitting with the laptop on my bump (this normally makes him kick). I have felt a couple of really, really light kicks but not like I usually feel.

Could it just be the position he is in? When should I start getting worried?

Or am I just over reacting?

Thanks.

Eviepoo Sun 12-Jun-11 18:40:02

If you are worried call the MW unit. You won't be the first that will get there and 10 mins later baby starts kicking like crazy....but that's preferred than to sit n worry.

In the meantime drink a glass of iced water n lie down for 10 mins that usually gets baby moving if not - please get on the phone

Xx

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 18:42:01

Thank you, does ice water work at 23 weeks? I thought that would only work later on?

I have seriously tried everything so far, even having an orgasm as I heard this jerks them. blush

NigellaLawless Sun 12-Jun-11 18:43:33

You know yourself and your baby best! So if you feel something has changed there is a good chance you are right.

My midwives have always advised me that if the pattern of mevement changed and I was even just the slightest bit worried I should contact the maternity unit at my local hospital.

I'm sure everything will be just fine, but maybe getting checked out will put your mind at ease tonight.

mummy22gorgeousboys Sun 12-Jun-11 18:43:44

If I was you I wouldn't be too concerned as long as I could feel movement. He may well have moved into a different position so you don't feel the same sensation.

I'm not sure the midwife would do anything as long as your still feeling some movement, but if you feel you need reassurance you could ask for an appointment and ask for her to hear baby's heartbeat.

All the best!

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 18:44:48

And I had been having problems with my heart rate a couple of weeks back and the Doctor was quite in depth asking me questions. that day I hadn't felt many kicks but I thought it was because I was pre-occupied and wasn't worried.

He sent me to the MW unit and the MW was very harsh, she gave me a dirty look and commented on how she doesn't know how I have felt anything as it's you don't normally feel anything until past 24 weeks.

Luckily that time I knew I was only there because the Doctor insisted but I don't know how I could cope with that kind of patronising attitude when I am genuinely worried. confused

Eviepoo Sun 12-Jun-11 18:44:50

As I am not a MW. I can't honestly say, but if you are worried please just phone in. Explain the difference and if they think you need monitoring they will tell you. A phone call is simple.

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 18:45:44

Thank you everyone. smile

mummy22gorgeousboys Sun 12-Jun-11 18:45:46

Orgasm!! Lucky you Strawberrymewmew. envy

TheOriginalFAB Sun 12-Jun-11 18:47:07

If you are worried go to hospital.
Ignore rude midwives. This is your baby. That trumps everything. We had to put up with looks and comments and I just stood my ground. My baby was far more important than someone whose name I would have forgotten before leaving the car park.

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 18:47:27

Haha, don't be jealous it doesn't happen often!

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 18:48:32

Okay, Fab. I will phone.

I am still slightly feeling something but it is definitely not the same as it was. And the pattern recently has been very consistent.

mummy22gorgeousboys Sun 12-Jun-11 18:50:53

It can be very difficult especially with your first pregnancy as most people are not sure of proceedures etc and when to question things further and when to accept MW and Dr's advice rather than question it.

But don't be put off by one person, I've had to deal with really uncaring and patronising staff when I had my miscarriages and I promise you that you just have to follow your own judgement.

Like NigellaLawless says, you know yourself and baby best and from my experience sometimes you just have to push for better care, 2nd opinions etc.

If you're still worried in the morning, contact your MW.

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 19:00:43

I think I'm going to wait until 8pm and then phone, as that is when he normally livens up at night. I'm trying ice cream and ice water and sitting crouched over.

It hasn't just been one person there either, it has been most of them. I went from 11 weeks to 20 weeks without seeing a MW even though I am high risk....

Yaya70 Sun 12-Jun-11 19:03:34

At 23 weeks, the baby is still very small and there's lots of room for it to move around and hide. I would have days when I felt very little around that stage, then the next day things would be back to normal. My midwife told me to start being aware of patterns of movement from about 28 weeks. Having said that, though, I agree with Evie that if you are at all worried you should give your midwife a call. They would much rather you give them a call than sit at home worrying.

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 19:06:14

I feel like I may be over reacting though as it is so early.

I've had lots of problems during this pregnancy and I guess it's just made me a worrier.

Maybe I should give it to the morning?

Thanks for the advice everyone. It really is appreciated.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 12-Jun-11 19:06:43

Just to say, with my first baby I went to hospital as i couldn't get any response from baby trying things that had always worked before. It didn't work out in the worst way possible but that was only due to baby hanging on for a few more hours and not due to the negligent care that the midwife gave. ie her negligence would have cost us our baby if he hadn't have had a bit of fight in him. I was at the hospital a lot with my next baby and I didn't give a toss about the staff's thoughts.

OnlyWantsOne Sun 12-Jun-11 19:09:12

Can you please phone the MW now.

There have been many people sadly that felt the same as you and waited. Then it was too late.

NewMummy5July2011 Sun 12-Jun-11 19:10:04

I'm not sure where you live, but at the hospital here they have a day assessment unit where you can go and they will monitor the baby's heartbeat for 30 min as well as movements. I went in once because I was worrying and it's much better to go in - they were absolutely lovely there.

I do know what you mean about patronising midwives though as I've had to deal with a few myself. Just remember that this is your baby and you know your baby best and if you are worried, get yourself checked out - you will feel so much better.

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 19:10:36

I'm in 2 minds whether to phone...

And Fab, I am glad everything worked out okay for you. Sometimes the MW's just seem to be in a strop.

As I said about the heart rate, the week before a Doctor had referred me immediately to the maternity assesment because my heart rate and bp made it seem as if I was in shock. I went to the MA and they didn't even bother to check my heart rate and said I was fine, I ended up admitted to hospital a couple of days later.

So I'm not even sure they would be any help.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 12-Jun-11 19:12:17

How do you feel?

If you are concerned, go.

ANY changes with baby be it less kicks or more should be checked out. Better a bit of blush and hmm from midwives than sad all round. Do what YOU feel is best for YOU.

StrawberryMewMew Sun 12-Jun-11 19:13:14

Okay... Fuck it, I am going to phone them.

CBear6 Sun 12-Jun-11 19:14:02

If you're at all worried then contact them and insist on going in. Sod's law says that baby will start kicking up a storm the second that they start to listen in but better to be seen as "that fussy woman" than "that poor woman ... " - as someone else said, your baby trumps their snotty attitudes.

Also next time you have a MW appointment ask her to clarify what you should do if you don't feel anything or notice a change, she will tell you that if this happens you should go to the unit. Get her to write this in your notes, that way when/if you get a snotty attitude you can point I out to them.

shellmc Sun 12-Jun-11 19:16:21

I can remember getting to around 20+ weeks and noticing a change in babys pattern, i spent all morning worrying and drinking cold water, gtting on all fours, lying down and having a wee prod.......nothing i too used to feel like i dint want to bother midwife but after 4 hours and me ending in tears, DH rang hospital and they told me to go up. I was put on a monitor and DS was moving around and kicking as he monitor was picking it up, but i couldnt feel them, MW said baby must have moved into a diff position. Was a big relief and i went home a happy lady smile

Trust your body and if you feel something has changed go get it chkd out, thats what they are there for!!!!

PHONE THEM

PLEASE.

You know it's the best thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now