Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could baby position/movements have caused vomiting?

(10 Posts)
MamaLaMoo Sun 12-Jun-11 10:58:50

I was so sick last night after being awake for an hour with heartburn caused by the baby pressing high up into my diaphragm and stomach (30 weeks pg), suddenly I felt hot, heart raced and I realised I needed to get to the bathroom asap.

No one else in family is ill and we all ate the same food. Not been near anyone who has been sick. I feel fine this morning expect when the baby turns and presses my stomach.

I realise the most likely explanation is a bug or something I ate but I wondered if anyone else had been sick after having their stomach pounded by wriggling foetus?

NigellaLawless Sun 12-Jun-11 14:35:17

Hi MamaLaMoo, I think sometimes my baby has made me feel sick and once actually made me sick.

It has happened in two different ways though: somedays he seems to roll and flip around so much that I feel 'sea sick' but on two other occassions it has felt like he has been kicking my stomach and it was on one of these occassions that I ended up vomiting - on this occassion I didn't feel hot or like my heart was racing (like you did) but I did feel absolutely awful. Next day I was absolutely fine again.

That was about 3 weeks ago and not happened since. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again for you smile

CliffTumble Sun 12-Jun-11 14:42:39

You need to get your bp checked asap as the " heartburn" could be epigastric pain which is a symptom of pre eclampsia along with vomiting.

MamaLaMoo Sun 12-Jun-11 14:57:35

Thank you both for your replies.

NigellaLawless interesting to hear about your babies movements and how it makes you feel, I hope like you it is a one off event!

CliffTumble I have checked my blood pressure and it is normal, 106/77, I have a bp monitor at home. Am seeing doc on Tuesday so will mention it.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 12-Jun-11 15:01:11

I was very sick a few weeks ago and ended up in hospital for dehydration. Noone else was ill and it didn't feel like a tummy bug. Turned out I had a UTI. If you've stopped being sick now I'd just make sure your fluid intake is high as dehydration can start contractions (which is what happened to me - all fine now). Hope you're feeling better.

MamaLaMoo Tue 14-Jun-11 20:42:12

Saw MW, obstetrician and medical doc at hospital check up today and they think a mixture of bad heartburn and baby kicking stomach could indeed cause vomiting. Having googled "heartburn pregnancy vomiting" I found lots of references to this.

Have been given ranitidine tablets which restrict the amount of acid your stomach makes. Hopefully this makes a difference.

CliffTumble Wed 15-Jun-11 07:32:47

Keep an eye on your bp.

WinterLover Wed 15-Jun-11 08:10:57

Ive been given ranitidine too and they worked nearly straight away. I still sometimes get heartburn but only if im really hungry or tires so as long as I eat reguarly then i dont get heartburn at all grin

theonlyhb2 Wed 15-Jun-11 08:21:47

i have thrown up after some severe kicks, or it moves position upwards in the middle of a meal so one minute I feel fine and the next mouthful I am suddenly too stuffed and can feel it wanting to come up!

bloody heartburn as well grrrrrrrr

KateeTheBump Wed 15-Jun-11 08:55:28

I had this a couple of weeks ago at 20 weeks, woke up in the middle of the night with raging heartburn, pain in my ribs and was eventually sick. Not sure what caused it, but would rather it didn't happen again. I did wonder if baby had managed to really stretch out a leg and shove into my stomach?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now