Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really upset, suddenly loads of vulval varicose veins

(8 Posts)
muffins Sat 11-Jun-11 21:58:03

Have been crying for last hour, had a single one with ds but not this early, am 24 weeks.
Was going to attempt to trim lady garden and looked in mirror and saw what looked and felt like varicose vein so had closer look and there seem to be loads :-( do I need to go see gp to confirm? What can I do to make them better?
I've prob put on too much weight too, 20lbs already, bmi was normal before. Should I try not put on any more weight? Will it affect birth? Was hoping for vbac but think I read somewhere they can tear during delivery.

To top it all off dp has told me to stop being stupid and it's no big deal...we're not even talking now. Alright for him to say, sure it would be different if they were all over his bits :-(

sobbing muffins

lollystix Sat 11-Jun-11 22:05:51

Oh muffins - I got them at 28 weeks with ds3 (abd I only put on 1 and a half stone so don't think it was a weight issue really). I am pregs again and can already sense them coming. Try and calm down and go to bed- it will all seem a bit better in the morning. I had ds3 by vbac too (my 2nd vbac) and when I told mw about them she wasn't remotely bothered.

Don't pack your pants with cold grated spuds cos it doesn't work. If it's any consolation I've had recurrent thrush for weeks and yesterday thought my waters had gone (only 21weeks) but think it was actually me just wetting myself all day!

cakeandcustard Sat 11-Jun-11 22:11:08

I had loads of these and they were awful, swollen and really throbbed. The midwife didn't seem to think there was much I could do about them. I found to sit on a maternity towel to apply pressure helped. I had a normal vaginal birth and they weren't affected. Thankfully they do die down afterwards so there is hope.

mrsravelstein Sat 11-Jun-11 22:13:04

i had them with 3rd pregnancy, very uncomfortable. i put on less weight with that one than i had with the previous 2 so i don't know that's weight related, i think it's just bad luck. they don't look pretty, i agree, but they went away immediately after birth, if that's any consolation.

muffins Sat 11-Jun-11 22:16:48

Thank you so much for your replies, glad you guys don't seem to think it's just weight related, was already feeling a bit depressed at the size of my ever expanding thighs and this certainly doesn't help to make you feel good about how you look. Don't think I want dp to see down there at all!

lollystix Sat 11-Jun-11 22:24:20

I have a friend who got them at 18 weeks with her third and she was really slim. Mine honestly went after delivery

FingandJeffing Sat 11-Jun-11 22:26:32

I had them and they went after delivery. I have a low bmi and didn't put much on- 1.5 stone I think in total. They are horrid. I used an ice pack wrapped in a towel. I went to my GP ( one who specializes in gyne stuff). She recommended pressure in the form of a maternity towel, but basically said nothing she/I could do apart from wait til delivery. You have my sympathy.

mummybto3 Thu 30-Jun-11 22:19:30

Just found this thread, as I too have severe vulval varicose veins and have been so traumatised.. This is my 4th pregnancy. Had them with 3rd pg, at about 26 weeks, but this time got them at 16 wks and they are much much worse. Very sore, feels like they're going to burst by the evening, and can't walk properly, feels like I have a grapefruit between my legs. Very scary to look at - won't let DH see them! Mine went last time, hoping they will go again, hard to imagine they will as they are so big :-( One suggestion is to try to get the 'V2 antenatal / pregnancy support cradle' Think thats what its called (look on Amazon) The reviews of it are amazing - women saying it changed their lives, and they can't manage without it! I've just ordered one! Lots of love and you have my complete sympathy and understanding, they are awful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now