Talk

Advanced search

Pressure on cervix in 1st trimester - normal?

(6 Posts)
neighboursnut Sat 11-Jun-11 20:25:59

After having a missed miscarriage at 11 weeks (foetus 'died' at 8) in Jan, I am 9 weeks pregnant and super paranoid. The good news is that I had a scan on Weds and all looks good (size, heartbeat etc) and I was told that my risk of miscarriage has dropped to 5%. I thought that would stop me worrying, and it did- until Friday! I got out of the car and felt a kind of pressure - on my cervix I think. It's not painful or even very strong, but it's definitely there and when I'm standing, it's pretty permanent.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to call my doc unnecessarily (again) - I'm sure he already thinks I'm crazy! I'm worried about having an incompetent cervix, even though I know that's highly unlikely as it's my first child. Any comments would be much appreciated - thanks!

elgoldenflower Sun 12-Jun-11 09:25:20

Didn't want to read and run. No experience of this but I'm 20 wks and haven't felt any pressure on my cervix. I'd suggest you call the midwife or GP to check it out. If it's nothing, hopefully they can reassure you.

dooscooby Sun 12-Jun-11 11:53:17

Hi there
I'm currently 12 weeks after a few miscarriages and I also get this sensation and it's worrying me too. It's not permanent for me, comes and goes every few days. Sometimes it feels like a strange itching sensation but I don't have itching anywhere else down there so I dont think it's an infection.

From googling I haven't really found any explanation, it seems a few people get similar but normally much later when there's a lot more pressure. I hope it's just one of those weird things in pregnancy and things turn out ok for both of us!

neighboursnut Sun 12-Jun-11 18:01:30

Thanks for your replies. Itching sounds uncomfortable dooscooby! Further investigation on google (my new best friend!) is making me think that perhaps it's my pelvic floor muscles? They hold the uterus in apparently - I thought they were just to do with the bladder (and mine has never been that great). Anyway, I've started some pelvic floor exercises and I'll see the doc tomorrow - I'm not taking any chances. Congrats on reaching the 12 week marker dooscooby - hope it all works out OK for you.

megansmummy1 Sun 12-Jun-11 21:17:13

i had this and was also worried but am now 25 weeks, all is well and cant remember when it stopped happening! not sure of the cause but seems to be common and i always got it worse if i had been on my feet all day or really busy. hope that helps.

pregnantmimi Mon 13-Jun-11 02:23:05

I had this in the first trimester all the time in fact I had light period type pains nearly everyday and I did go to the doctor about it later I had bleeding so had a scan and fine. If your worried go to doctor.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now