Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Breathless at 3/4 months

(10 Posts)
Isthreetoomany Fri 10-Jun-11 19:27:36

Does anyone know when general breathlessness is meant to start? I'm 16 weeks but have been getting out of breath for a good few weeks now. I'd have thought this was too soon for my lungs to be getting squashed/organs moving round etc?
Just been sitting reading bedtime stories to DD and that was enough to get out of breath!
I'm sure it didn't happen this early last time.

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 10-Jun-11 19:48:52

Didn't want this to go unanswered!

I had that too at about that stage, and I remember getting it when sitting down to read bedtime stories. I'm very mildly asthmatic - you?

It did pass. Now I'm around 30 weeks and just feel bloody uncomfortable around the diaphragm every evening, like my rib cage wants to burst out of my chest. Getting some bra-strap extenders has helped.

And lying down is much better than sitting up!

I hope you start to feel better soon.

ToriaPumpkin Fri 10-Jun-11 19:56:19

I've been getting breathless on and off since about nine weeks. I put it down to the fact my nose has been constantly blocked and when I mentioned it to my MW she wasn't concerned. It went away for a couple of weeks about 15-17 but is back now at 20 and I expect it to stay!

MissMarjoribanks Fri 10-Jun-11 19:57:54

One of my first pregnancy symptoms was being breathless when I got to the top of the stairs. It disappeared, as quickly as it had arrived, after I had given birth.

I was told it was because your circulatory system gives more to the baby taking it away from you.

sevendwarves Fri 10-Jun-11 20:00:02

I'm 12.5 weeks and already starting to get a bit breathless although I've no idea why. I find it's worst when I lay on my back.

Isthreetoomany Fri 10-Jun-11 20:24:44

Sounds like it's completly normal then, thanks

gettingtogrips Fri 10-Jun-11 21:50:04

It's normal, it's the progesterone. It makes you breathe deeper and more often so that the foetus gets the oxygen it needs.

aethelfleda Fri 10-Jun-11 22:02:50

Its also cos your heart is working harder- by the time you are about to give birth you have 50% more blood than a non pregnant woman so your heart has to pump more around! The first half of pregnancy is when all that extra blood gets produced so its the change that makes you out of puff.

PinkFondantFancy Sat 11-Jun-11 07:07:45

I had this too. I found sleeping more propped up helped, as did asthma inhalers as I was previously v mildly asthmatic.

Fluter Sat 11-Jun-11 09:25:57

Yup, normal. At about 7/8 weeks I struggled playing half a short flute passage in one breath that before I could play with ease. I'd do a short exercise in a lesson and sounded like I'd just got to the top of Everest.
It got easier for a bit, but now (at 20 weeks with twins) is getting worse, but that's the extra weight I'm hauling round...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: