Talk

Advanced search

Thrush and bleeding

(10 Posts)
fatbottomgirl Fri 10-Jun-11 09:52:45

I had a UTI last week and was given antibiotics, this seems to have triggered the worst case of thursh i have ever had. I am really swollen and sore My fanjio feels bruised. Yesterday I was given cream by the midwife.

This morning I have been to the toilet and when i wiped I had the smallest amount of spotting and i mean tiny. I can't see that its coming from inside. I wondered if it might be because i am so swollen and sore like a graze????

Helzapoppin Fri 10-Jun-11 10:12:42

Poor you, you have my sympathies! I am now 31 weeks pregnant and had thrush in early May- it was sore and took ages to shift. My GP and then obstetric consultant both prescribed me pessaries two weeks apart. Six weeks on from the initial infection I have a graze and a still have a little tenderness and swelling. It bleeds a little, especially when I foolishly attempt to have sex! My obstetrician explained that sometimes thrush can become pretty chronic in pregnancy if you've had a bad bout and one option is to use a Canestan pessary every week. Apparantly this is harmless, but it's not licensed for pregnant women and so reqires a prescription.

Maybe ask your GP to have a look and see what s/he thinks. My consultant was more than willing to take my word for it- I guess he sees quite enough ladies bits already!

I was given lots of useful advice on here about how to minimise a thrush attack and prevent further- mostly about eating lots of probiotic yoghurt, cutting down on yeast/sugar, not using anything fragranced and whipping off ones knickers at every available opportunity (easier in warm weather!).

Hope that you feel better soon. smile

buttonmoon78 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:38:21

I hate thrush with a passion and I too get in whenever I've had anti-bs.

Use pessaries - they'll be far better at reaching any internal infection. You can use live yoghurt down there too as it will help but I wouldn't if you've just had a pessary!

Take regular baths rather than showers.

Wear cotton knickers, also at night to stop you scratching in your sleep.

I know people who report that eating lots of fruit makes it worse for them.

Hope it clears soon!

fatbottomgirl Fri 10-Jun-11 11:09:05

Thanks for the advice. I feel really low today because of it sad. I'm going to get back on touch with midwife and ask for a pessary. I have been taking baths to sooth it. Hopefully it will clear soon. smile

crochetcircle Fri 10-Jun-11 12:44:57

Lots of sympathy from me fatbottomgirl - I had thrush a few weeks ago and it really got me down too. Going to the toilet all the time (difficult to avoid in late pregnancy!) doesn't help, and I definitely had a bit of grazing which was very unformtable.

Good news is that it did pass and things are normal down there again. Hope yours sorts itself out soon too.

JenniL1977 Fri 10-Jun-11 12:54:43

Hey fatbottomgirl I'm right there with you! You sound exactly like what I'm going through just now - I'm 30wks.

My GP told me on Tuesday that she was giving me antbiotics for a UTI (which, I hasten to add, I've had for 8 weeks, and hasn't been picked up on one urine sample or blood test on the 6 midwives appts I've had in that time; it wasn't until I staggered into A&E last week and they sent me to the maternity ward that it got picked up, in a different NHS Trust to where I live! I'm not bitter though...) but that the antibiotics would make my thrush worse, so I got a pessary thing for that. And Canesten cream. I've had a graze down there as well (probably from scratching in my sleep); it's like a car crash down there at the moment!
I was also told not to use anything in baths if I had one (no oils or bubbles) as the perfumes will make it all worse.

Isn't pregnancy a lovely and elegant time... grin

Icelollycraving Fri 10-Jun-11 15:27:02

Me too! I keep being tested for uti but all clear. Been told it's because the pressure of the baby is making me super swollen. Frankly I look like a baboon!! Yesterday I literally lay in bed with a succession of ice packs on my bits. It took swelling down a lot but still sore. I also had some bleeding today but could have been my show according to mw, I'm 37 weeks. Tbh the thought of a baby popping out of there is enough to make me want to cry.

fatbottomgirl Fri 10-Jun-11 18:05:25

The dignity of being preggs I love it wink. I am 32 weeks and have totally had enough this time round. This Thrush is making so bad tempered and miserable with the rest of my family. I think I should go and hide under the covers and not come out till baby decides to arrive. grin
Icelolly the ice sounds like a very good idea, may give that a try too, Iam so swollen I look deformed hmm.

PotteringAlong Fri 10-Jun-11 18:06:53

Same here and also had bleeding with it from a graze. Hope you feel better soon

Beesok Fri 10-Jun-11 23:52:06

Sorry you're not feeling well fatbottomgirl just to add to the recommendations above it can help to take probiotics capsules - I had a similar situation last week after taking antibiotics although I must admit it was much milder than yours smile but it cleared up in a few days and I think the fact that I have been taking probiotics throughout my pregnancy helped, I didn't use any medication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now