Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

PGP / SPD and exercise and caution

(5 Posts)
philbee Fri 10-Jun-11 09:18:08

I'm 9 wks pg, and getting little pelvic joint niggles, esp at the end of the day. I had PGP with dd, which was pretty painful towards the end. So I'm trying to be careful with exercise, have stopped running, only do legs-together things in yoga, given up breaststroke etc.

But I'm finding the exercise restrictions frustrating, and I'm not sure if it's necessary at this stage. Should I be cautious? I seem to remember last time the physio said waiting for pain was a bad idea as I could be doing damage before the pain came on.

I asked the mw about physio referral and she said 'wait and see if it develops', which seems a bit rubbish really. Should I push for a referral?

buttonmoon78 Fri 10-Jun-11 09:42:42

Absolutely push for a referral. IME, pelvic niggles are spd developing!

And yes, you are right to be cautious. I had it about 9/10wks with dc3, didn't know what it was and by the time I realised I wasn't being soft, then convinced my gp I wasn't being soft it was too late and any physio I had was simply firefighting. I was on crutches early and spent best part of 3 months on monster meds for the pain.

Fast forward 4 years to this (final!) pg. I began physio exercised early on and as a result, staved off bad pain until a few weeks ago - I'm now 33wks. TBH I had no pain at all til about 20wks IIRC. I'm drug free most days and although I have pain, it's nothing like last time. Even the physio has said I'm a lot better this time. And I believe it's down to starting the exercises early and adopting best practice (knees together, sleeping on side, pillow between knees etc etc) from 5wks.

There's a thread on here called something like spd on a birthing ball. Full of us oddballs who suffer in this way - you'd be most welcome!

philbee Fri 10-Jun-11 09:54:35

Thank you! Will find that thread and call the midwives today for a referral. I can't afford to have it badly this time because I'm looking after dd, whereas at least last time i was just in an office all day.

buttonmoon78 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:05:37

Exactly - you have to put yourself first, and it's not easy when you have other children, I know.

You may have to be pushy, but it will be worth it! See you on the other thread.

cara2244 Fri 10-Jun-11 11:38:44

I agree, be pushy. I had hip and back pain in 2nd tri and could barely walk at times. It was depressing and made me feel very negative about the pregnancy. After a GP appointment and 2 physio appointments it is now so so much better. They give you loads of changes you can make to improve the symptoms. I never expected it to get better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: