Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

palatable non-alcoholic beer

(28 Posts)
RingEir Thu 09-Jun-11 23:37:08

Not sure if you can get this in the UK, but San Miguel 0,0 actually tastes like real beer! Every other brand I have tried is awful, although you can make them more drinkable by adding a dash of ginger ale or lemonade.

Just thought I'd share my discoverysmile I am really enjoying my nightly guilt-free beer in front of the telly.

bagelmonkey Fri 10-Jun-11 06:06:47

DH thinks Becks alcohol free is quite good too. I always thought alcohol free beer was missing the point before, but I see it now.

MamaKimber Fri 10-Jun-11 06:28:15

Becks Blue alcohol free is an excellent substitute whilst preggers. Though noting will replace a nice glass of red wine!

PinkFondantFancy Fri 10-Jun-11 06:48:45

Also alcohol free Kopperberg for lovely summer evening BBQs if you're missing pear cider

PrincessJenga Fri 10-Jun-11 07:17:37

Another vote for Becks Blue.

PotteringAlong Fri 10-Jun-11 07:21:46

Do not buy alcohol free cobra. It tastes like weetabix!

Twittwooo Fri 10-Jun-11 08:25:01

DH tells me that most non alcoholic beer has a small amount of alcohol in it. Is it definitely safe to drink non alcoholic beer in pregnancy, especially in the first trimester? I haven't yet, but I think when the sun comes out it could be the key to not feeling too left out!

Fluter Fri 10-Jun-11 08:30:52

Oh. I quite like the Cobra zero.... and the Becks Blue. smile

flippineck Fri 10-Jun-11 08:34:27

There's one called Bavaria that's not bad as well. Becks Blue is the best (of a bad bunch) though. Cobra Zero is far too sweet.

Didn't know about the Kopperburg, will look out for that.

Twittwoo - obviously couldn't guarantee anything, but the amount of alcohol is so small that I think you'd have to drink an awful lot of the beer to get it in dangerous quantities, iyswim.

shelleylou Fri 10-Jun-11 08:58:45

Bavaria is quite nice completely alcohol free and is a blond beer. Mum bought some a little while ago and told me i could have as many as i wanted before telling me it was non alcoholic or what it was. I was very hmm when she said that as she kept saying about me not being able to drink lol

Pudding2be Fri 10-Jun-11 16:57:30

Another vote for becks blue. It does contain alcohol, it says on the bottle it's 0.05% which is almost nothing wink

Jules922 Fri 10-Jun-11 19:31:44

I vote for Bavaria...I love it but it has to be ice cold.

Makey Sat 11-Jun-11 08:46:13

I saw some cider in Sainsburys that was less than 1% alcohol.
I've not tried it though. Waiting till after the 12 week scan then might treat myself to at little tipple..

msbuggywinkle Sat 11-Jun-11 08:48:44

Erdinger zero is my favourite, Becks is quite good too though. I crave really cold beer when I'm pregnant for some reason!

Ilovekittyelise Sat 11-Jun-11 18:59:27

bavaria is ok; i find becks blue and cobra zero have a really vile aftertaste. cant wait to pop this baby out express some milk, hand him over to daddy and do some catching up with a proper drink.

LemonEmmaP Sat 11-Jun-11 19:01:32

My favourite when pregnant was Bitburger, but as that was hard to come by, I more often stuck with Becks.

VeryHungryKatypillar Sat 11-Jun-11 19:42:39

Urgh! Bavaria has to be ice, ice cold to drink because it mings! If cold, the taste buds are too shocked to register its taste! If I had to 'unvote' for anything it would be for Bavaria. OTOH, I love Cobra 0%, Becks good, would love to try the San Miguel but not seen it anywhere...

Mind you, I've not been completely depriving myself of beer/wine, one half (beer) or small glass (wine) a week once I got halfway through I am personally comfortable with and think is fine...

Fluter Sat 11-Jun-11 19:47:48

OK, am trying the Bavaria one tonight smile
Will report back tomorrow! Mind you if the only other vote for the Cobra one hates it, this may not be good....

nitnatnaboo Tue 14-Jun-11 23:45:19

In Lanzarote I had "Dorada Sin" which tasted pretty real to me!

AlsoAvailableSober Tue 14-Jun-11 23:47:04

Bavaria is the best of a bad bunch...

jennylindinha Tue 14-Jun-11 23:54:03

I agree that Bavaria and Becks are okay, Cobra is vile! I've had the San Miguel in Spain and it was good too. In fact Spain is great, you could get alcohol-free beer in every bar I went to (was on a Hen do so quite a lot so bars/restaurants...)

Another one to look out for is Bitburger, I really liked this the best I think. You can get in Tescos etc (well you could, I've not been pregnant for a while now so haven't looked!)

Have to admit that in the last trimester, which was in the summer, I occasionally used to buy low alcohol bitter and make shandy. Lovely!

chinateacup Wed 15-Jun-11 11:48:02

Another Becks Blue vote here

KatieWatie Wed 15-Jun-11 12:09:02

Another vote for Becks Blue (I've tried Cobra and Kaliber and hated them both). I've stopped drinking it now as I discovered it adds to my tiredness - something to do with all the hops in it. My dad claims it's distantly related to cannabis shock which might explain my craving for cheese!

RachieJosie Wed 15-Jun-11 16:01:28

There is a really nice version of the Bavaria 0% stuff that is a white beer, (says 'WIT' in a little red box at the top of the label on the front) so tastes a bit like a Belgian beer, really delicious. Found it at Tesco.

edwinbear Wed 15-Jun-11 16:55:06

makey that low alcohol sainsburys cider is absoultely delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now