Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

dealing with evening sickness

(9 Posts)
updiffed Thu 09-Jun-11 19:00:58

ANyone got any tips to help? Its the chronic nausea that is really getting to me, I'm not actually throwing up. My appetite is zero (and Im someone who likes their food non preggo)

Am fine all day, then the nausea gets steadily worse from about 4pm. About now (7pm) I give up and go to bed without any dinner. Not sure if this is a good strategy or not.
I try to eat something good at lunchtime, but some days I have trouble eating anything.

LCK Thu 09-Jun-11 19:35:23

Hi

I don't have anything to say but I share your pain, eight weeks in and evening nausea is relentless. However my DH is away tonight so I had tea with my 2 year old daughter at 5 and feel a little better this evening than I have been eating at 9 with DH. Might not last though...

NoodieRoodie Thu 09-Jun-11 19:51:55

I was exactly the same with the evening nausea.

I found that I felt better if I ate, so up until about 14 weeks or so I was getting home from work at 5ish and straight away having something to eat. Generally something carb based like a few slices of toast or a sandwich. Then I would eat dinner with DH later on as usual. Except for the night when I had 6 slices of toast as a snack and amazingly wasn't actually hungry for dinner!

After that the nausea would creep up again all the way until bed time but I generally felt ok for the couple of hours after food.

I'm now at 20 weeks and this has pretty much passed but I still find that if I don't eat I seem to bypass the "hungry" feeling and go straight onto wanting to vomit!

Coldcuppacoffee Thu 09-Jun-11 19:53:13

I found a bowl of honey nut cornflakes before bed does the trick most nights. I don't want it, but I'd tried everything else!

m1nn1em0u5e Thu 09-Jun-11 20:23:22

I am sick of the sight of my bedroom! Once I get my 2 ds to bed, I just collapse in a nauseaus heap in my bed!....I forgot how bad the sicknesss is....I wish I was 20 weeks NoodieRoodie!....

nicolamumof3 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:26:18

try to eat if you can, it does help anything absoultely anything you fancy. it will help.

Im still suffering ms at 35w

scepticalexpat Thu 09-Jun-11 20:57:29

I started feeling sick about 4pm too, generally until 7 or 8 when I would force myself to eat dinner. It was often a bit of a struggle but the nausea then seemed to disappear - whether it was coincidence or because eating helped I don't know. Maybe you could give it a go once or twice, with whatever food seems least awful, and see if forcing yourself to eat actually does make you feel better?

Hope your sickness doesn't last too long - I'm one of the lucky ones and mine went away at around 14 weeks.

PinkFondantFancy Thu 09-Jun-11 21:50:02

I quite often just had tinned fruit for dinner - sounds revolting I know but easy on the stomach and I found that it did something magical for my nausea.

aethelfleda Thu 09-Jun-11 22:37:37

It helps most people with nausea to keep snacking little and often. Find the food that is least revolting to you- which is very individual- try digestive biscuits, bagel with cream cheese, cheese thins biscuits, salt and vinegar crisps, drinky-yoghurts (those little ones that come in 6packs, whatever's cheapest!), salted nuts, buttered toast.

Then have a small portion (half a bagel/one or two biscuits) every 1.5-2 hours. Whether you want to or not. One theory about morning sickness is that its worsened when you are tired, and when you go >2 hours between snacks (which is why it gets worse in the eves for some). If you can't sleep and are nauseous, get up and eat something
(again only Very small) as this can sometimes help too.

Oh and get a pair of Sea Bands (accupressure bands) from the chemist as they can help too.

Give the snacking a try, as it helped me until my MS settled down a bit at 15 weeks with both my DDs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: