Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Ridiculous hair question but responses appreciated!

(7 Posts)
benne81 Thu 09-Jun-11 13:06:12

Ok I know this is ridiculous but bare with me: I am trying to decide whether to continue growing my hair or have it cut to my usual bob tomorrow at the hairdressers. I'm 24 weeks pregnant with first child and everyone has been telling me that I should grow my hair becuase I won't have time to wash and dry my hair everyday after the baby is born and it is easier to just tie it back. I have really fine hair which needs daily washing and drying (otherwise becomes horrendously greasey) but because it is usually short only takes 5mins everyday. Am I being completely naive or is everyone exaggerating - surely I'll have 5 mins to dry my hair!!! Really want to cut it back to bob as all this extra hair is beginning to annoy me and I think I look daft with longer hair.

Please could someone with experience of this tell me the truth - ps I'm the first out of all my friends to get pregnant so everyone who is telling me to grow my hair doesn't have any experience to base their advice on.
There you go ridiculous question but any advice apperciated!

WinterLover Thu 09-Jun-11 13:12:04

Ive had mine cut to a bob, but just long enough so I can tie it back.. It was past my shoulders but I got it chopped off at 24w. I used to have to wash it every day but since having it cut I manage to wash it every 2-3 days now grin

My theory is, ignore 'advice' and do what you feel best with, no point in having long hair and it winding you up after baby is here.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 09-Jun-11 13:12:09

You will have time to spend 5 minutes drying your hair when you have your baby. How do I know this?

Well, your hair is like mine, and my oldest dd is now 7. There have literally been just a few days when I haven't washed/dried my hair, and that was nothing to do with the baby. (usually when on hols and about to go swimming, that type of reason).

She wasn't some "good" "easy" baby because when dd2 came along I carried on washing my hair daily. smile

If you grow your hair longer, surely you will then have long and greasy hair rather than short and greasy hair. Even tied back that would annoy me.

I will go as far as to say that within reason you will be able to do lots of things when the baby is born. For example, some women choose to wear very casual scruffy clothes, which is fine of course, and say they don't have time to do anything else. However that's not because they have had a baby necessarily. Ime it takes just as long to put on clean top/skirt/tights as a tracksuit.

buttonmoon78 Thu 09-Jun-11 14:22:20

Was going to post almost word for word what Cremeegg just said.

Although for the first few weeks when you are 'allowed' to slob about in whatever you feel like, I never treated motherhood as an excuse to turn into Waynetta. And that's coming from officially the laziest person north of Brum.

I have your hair too, but have discovered that in this pg (#4) I can get away with washing it every other day. It's a revelation and I'll be sad to see that go! But normally I wash, dry and straighten it every day. Sometimes I go out on the school run with it drying and wavy but then collect with it straight. Nobody bats an eyelid!

Taking some pride in your appearance is (IME) crucial for regaining myself after the birth. Yes, I'm a mum (again) but I am still me. TBH, there has not been a single day with any of them where I've not got washed and dressed as I have a tendancy to 'sink' and emotionally, that impetus gave me a lot more focus and confidence.

You do whatever you like. It's your hair. And if you want to cut it, do so. Just make sure you give them a Vidal Sassoon swish when you see your mates!

BeeMyBaby Thu 09-Jun-11 14:27:41

I've never heard advice like that, much the opposite, you will most likely have time to wash and dry your hair, and you will most likely have a baby who enjoys tugging on your hair from about 4 months onwards. If its thin, stick with your bob.

jojodancer Thu 09-Jun-11 14:36:10

I grew my hair specifically so I could tie it back after DD1 was born... however I found that longer hair was much LESS manageable than it being shorter, and over the last 15 months since DD arrived, my hair has got shorter and shorter until it's now a pixie cut and shorter than I've ever had it before.

I find it SO much quicker to do now than when it was longer (it got to shoulder length) and I actually find I can do more with it now than when it's longer! - and like others have said there has not been one day (apart from holidays / going straight to swimming, etc) when I have not washed and done my hair since DD was born. Of course you will have 5 mins to do your hair! Babies do nap! grin

DD2 is due in August and I have absolutely NO plans to grow my hair longer.

Definitely do what you want with your hair, and what will make you happiest - and what suits you!

benne81 Thu 09-Jun-11 14:47:34

Thank you everyone I am much more reassured now. Its funny how people like to paint such a horrendous picture of life with a small baby and that basically life as I know it is about to end! I know its going to be a struggle but I'm going to make sure that I make a little bit of time for myself (and my hair) everyday. I'll be off to the hairdressers tomorrow with a spring in my step now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: