Talk

Advanced search

Shit- i've fallen off the wagon and now I feel so guilty

(20 Posts)
MrsVidic Thu 09-Jun-11 11:58:30

I'm 32 weeks with dd2 and so far have abstained from all the bad foods etc and done this preg by the book. Yet recently I have need craving Brie and rockofort cheese. Every night this week I have had to literally put myself to bed to resist the urge of driving to the shop to get a cheese board.

I woke today and drove to the shop before Dp woke up and bought Brie and rockofort and have binged!

Now I feel do guilty, craving gone and I'm worrying I've damaged the baby! When will I know if the baby has been effected?

supadupapupascupa Thu 09-Jun-11 11:59:59

gah, you're 32 weeks, i wouldn't worry. tbh once i get beyond 12 weeks i have runny eggs wink

winnybella Thu 09-Jun-11 12:02:51

Roquefort. And affected. Sorry, can't help it.

Tbh you can get ill from eating salad, ham, any fruit or veg...I wouldn't worry. Extremely unlikely you'll catch listeria.

I have eaten soft cheeses through both of my pgs- but I live in France, it's hard to resist.

ConfessionsOfAnAchingFanjo Thu 09-Jun-11 12:28:06

If the cheese was going to make you (and therefore baby) sick, you'd know about it by now.

Thought you were going to say you'd had a bottle of tequlia or something grin

silverangel Thu 09-Jun-11 12:45:57

If the brie was from the supermarket most likley it was pasteurised anyway!

spatchcock Thu 09-Jun-11 12:51:54

I thought this was going to be about a vodka binge!

If it helps I'm tucking into some brie right now and have been doing so for the past 36 weeks of my pregnancy...

AxyMum Thu 09-Jun-11 13:15:33

After 12 weeks you don't need to worry nearly as much. Don't feel bad! Baby needs a happy mummy ;)

crochetcircle Thu 09-Jun-11 13:17:49

I thought you were back on the ciggies which would have been much worse imo. i don't think a bit of blue cheese will do you any harm at this stage.

libranlady Thu 09-Jun-11 13:52:48

I too have been craving ( and eating in moderation) soft cheese in this pregnancy. Risk of catching listeria is tiny, tiny, tiny. And you'd know about it by now anyway. But probably it's worth avoiding it if it's going to give you the guilty horrors : )

UntamedShrew Thu 09-Jun-11 14:02:36

My mother ate a brie a day when pregnant with me, and I turned out OK (IMHO). Apparently she was craving this and nothing else, they tell you to listen to your body right?

buttonmoon78 Thu 09-Jun-11 14:12:23

I too was expecting a confession of alcohol or nicotine ingestion!

Does it help if I say I've just had lunch which consisted of 2 slices of bread & butter, white stilton with apricots, a large slice of dolcelatte and a wedge of camembert? Which is not kept in the fridge as it kills the taste and it needed ripening?

As others have said, it's not that the cheese is bad per se, it's the risk of food poisoning. You are more at risk from this during pg but the risk still is tiny and it's up to you whether you accept that risk (like me) or abstain totally (like many others do).

ToriaPumpkin Thu 09-Jun-11 17:05:43

I was eating Camembert on Saturday night. The irony did not escape me when the other pregnant lady at the event told me I shouldn't be eating it as she poured herself a glass of red wine...

I love cheese in all it's forms and spoke to my mum who's a midwife and she told me as long as it was pasteurised first chances are it's fine, and if you're going to get food poisoning you can get it from anything. Atm even salad veg is not safe!

mamamarina Thu 09-Jun-11 17:16:38

Don't worry about..it's fine..i had runny eggs..nothing happend..just be carful..just like one glass of wine (and not more ) is not a risk...u are fine :-)

PrincessScrumpy Thu 09-Jun-11 17:36:03

I had brie at my nanna's funeral at 24w. Couldn't resist. I have had goats cheese too but it was cooked so I figured it was okay. I've also had runny eggs but that's because I was told that if you have the uk eggs with lion stamp it means the chickens have been vaccinated against samonella so you can't get it from uk eggs anyway.

I had a cup of tea yesterday and a colleague acted shocked as I was giving my unborn twins caffiene. Today she mentioned she'd had hald a pint of guiness for the iron confused

lolajane2009 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:38:43

i'm a secret mr whippy eater... we all have naughty vices...

i wouldnt worry tbh.

LyraBelaqua Thu 09-Jun-11 21:08:05

My midwife and the food standards agency say its fine to have pasteurized brie Ive been scoffing it all the time smile

theonlyhb2 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:22:43

no Mr whippy either? I think i have done everything yr not supposed to then

Eviepoo Thu 09-Jun-11 23:03:48

How do you know if the Brie is pasteurised? I soooooo want some

titferbrains Fri 10-Jun-11 10:46:47

read the packet, it will say "Pasteurised" or "unpasteurised"

not sure why people get so hysterical about what they eat during pregnancy, when is the last time you got sick from eating cheese or lettuce or ham?

I think it's healthier to be a bit calm about these things. ~The same baby you are worrying about will soon be eating rocks, twigs and drinking bathwater on a nightly basis.

chandellina Fri 10-Jun-11 11:35:12

the risks of listeria are minuscule - i don't know why they scare us so much on these minor things.
don't forget you can also cook these soft cheeses into things if you really want to be safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now