Talk

Advanced search

Fucking bastarding CRAMP.

(23 Posts)
Reality Thu 09-Jun-11 10:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 09-Jun-11 10:28:14

It's low potassium isn't it? A kilo of bananas? Not sure about potassium supplements in pg. Sorry, not very helpful.

Reality Thu 09-Jun-11 10:29:54

BogChicken Thu 09-Jun-11 10:31:28

Reality Thu 09-Jun-11 10:32:55

Katiebeau Thu 09-Jun-11 10:33:31

My friend had this and she had to get help from her GP. I can't remember what sorry - go to your GP for help. I hope it feels better soon.

HLSalter Thu 09-Jun-11 10:38:37

I was told cramp was due to dehydration so I have been drinking a glass of water every night and have not had cramp since. Might just be a coincidence but it's worth a try.

Reality Thu 09-Jun-11 10:45:02

princessdave Thu 09-Jun-11 11:14:53

Sorry to hear you had such bad cramp Reality, I get it too in both calves at night but never for more than a few minutes. Some good old writhing around, swearing and digging my fingers into it to massage it seems to work. Dehydration, low salt, potassium can all contribute so water, bananas etc is good advice. I'm sure I've read somewhere about elevating your legs as well, so just sleep with your feet on a pillow?

AmateurCrastinator Thu 09-Jun-11 11:29:08

Had exactly the same thing the other night (am 26 wks with DS no.3) and was limping around for 2 days afterwards! Sooo painful. Try pulling your toes towards you if it happens again (if you can reach them!) or put your foot flat on the floor. That stops it.

KatyN Thu 09-Jun-11 12:07:15

sorry but this really made me laugh.. partly because I'm knackered today from being woken up with cramp last night (managed to stretch my calf and it went quite quickly) but also your new name for cramp. My sis broke her leg a couple of years ago and we found ourselves at the bottom of a hill in the cold with her trying to get up it with cramp. It then got called the c*nting cramp.

RoseC Thu 09-Jun-11 14:24:33

I get a lot of cramp (waitressing, poor circulation, old leg injury) and was told to drink tonic water with quinine. Hate the stuff but it does seem to work. Hope it goes away soon smile

girlfromdownsouth Thu 09-Jun-11 14:37:12

Reality I get F.B. Cramp in my calves every night and it sucks!! I am 35wks and cannot reach my toes so I push my toes up towards the ceiling but have to be careful or I get cramp in the top of my foot as well - WTF!! So now if I can manoeuvre (OMG had to look up how to spell that - bloody pg brain - I won spelling comps at school for gods sake!!!) myself I put my foot flat up against the wall instead.

My consultant said that it can down to low salt so suggested a bag of crisps a day - the lovely man. Also try and drink lots of water and eat bananas as per other advice here.

Yes it fucken hurts and yes you can be left limping for days - I was after an episode rendered me sobbing and calling out for DH who had to pull my foot back for me as I was in too much pain.

sidorek Thu 09-Jun-11 15:55:48

Phisio lady at my hospital advised to drink small glass of tonic water as it contains quinine, which is a gentle muscle relaxant and it it safe in pregnancy.

Icelollycraving Thu 09-Jun-11 16:45:23

I get this & the muscles ache for some time over the next day or two. When it happens (always at night) I rub it fairly vigorously & have used a hot water bottle to soothe away the pain. It has also hurt when I've reached up a little & stretched to get something,I've felt a kind of ping. Drink plenty of water,try to sleep on yr side too.

PrincessJenga Thu 09-Jun-11 18:30:06

I used to wake up every night with this. It never lasted twenty minutes though! Do you get up and put weight on it? (Sorry if that's a horribly patronising question!) That stops mine temporarily.

I've started wearing socks in bed and that helps me. I also recently bought a blender so have been trying to make a banana smoothie every day (potassium and calcium are supposed to help, plus it's DELICIOUS!) and haven't been woken up with cramp since.

Good luck!

vintageteacups Thu 09-Jun-11 18:32:40

Also - someone posted somewhere that Deep Heat rubbed on will instantly relax the muscles. She was talking about period cramps but same kind of thing I'd think.

candr Thu 09-Jun-11 18:43:22

Can really sympathise as I get this every night, used to get it more than once a night but I have a heat pad from Boots that I keep under my calfs and have a banana each night. My Dr told me not to have quinine but I have upped salt intake. Hope it goes for you as it is awful hovering on the edge of sleep cause you can feel it coming on during the night - makes me scared to move my legs.

Mumswang Thu 09-Jun-11 18:57:54

Oh god me too, it feels like I've got a lump in my calf for days afterwards (it also happens everytime we have a shag - great, like it's not hard enough work with hhis 32 week bump)

Icelollycraving Thu 09-Jun-11 19:23:07

Don't think you can use deep heat in pregnancy can you?

vintageteacups Thu 09-Jun-11 20:36:36

sorry didn't see that OP was pregnant - no, do't think you can use deep heat in pregnancy.

Vix286 Thu 09-Jun-11 22:07:37

Reality I get cramp too, I had the same experience as you, only once so far thank god but my DH was trying to calm me down as I was howling, crying and hobbling round the bedroom, I think he saw it as good practice for labour!

I normally just get it in my feet and toes so have tried to eat more bananas and sometimes wear socks as it happens more when my feet are cold.

Mumswang - can sympathise with you too, I actually got cramp in my hip it was hard enough to talk him into it in the first place and then it kind of ruined the moment..... blush

lollystix Thu 09-Jun-11 22:25:26

I've had it with every pregnancy in my legs at night. What I'm confused about tonight thought is I feel cramp all down one arm - never had this before. Anyone else had arm cramp?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now