Talk

Advanced search

Early scan

(12 Posts)
LadyShapes Thu 09-Jun-11 09:52:37

I found out that I'm pregnant yesterday after a trip to the doctor about my lack of periods (duh!) So, since I can't remember when my last period was he said he'd send me for an early scan. This might be a stupid question, but do you think I will get an appointment straight away or have to wait a few weeks? Now I've had a think about it I think my last period was at the start of March, so I could be 3 months. You'd normally be having a scan then anyway wouldn't you?

I just want to know what's going on! I feel like a bloody idiot about the whole thing even though it is a lovely surprise. DH was so happy when I told him. I'm still reeling, but once I've had a scan and it's all official I will be able to enjoy it. But at the moment I'm just worried about these cramps and stuff and feel like it's not real because we weren't planning it. Oh god, I think I might need to have a bit of a cry.

apples82 Thu 09-Jun-11 10:00:39

I think that the scan will come at the next available slot at your local hospital. The doctor I think will have requested the next one, so you should hear shortly and not have a long wait.

What a lovely surprise smile

loobylou13 Thu 09-Jun-11 10:17:09

Congratulations, im sure they will get you in very soon

LadyShapes Thu 09-Jun-11 10:58:19

I hope so. Well, we're away next week, so hopefully I can get an appointment the week after. I just checked one of those pregnancy calculators and based on when I think my last period started it said I could already be 13 weeks. I'm looking forward to knowing for sure!

I can't wait to be able to tell people. It should be fun - it's babies galore in our family at the minute!

Tangle Thu 09-Jun-11 11:36:33

Did you talk to your GP about the possibility you might be 13 weeks already, and have you thought about whether you'd like the nuchal fold scan?

If the answers are "no" and "yes, I would" then you need to get back on the phone to your Dr and get them to push for a scan ASAP as the nuchal fold measurements are only accurate upto 13 weeks and 6 days - if you're 13 weeks now then when you get back would be too late. Dating scans are also less accurate once you get past 12 weeks.

If you really want the nuchal scan and the nhs can't fit you in you could look at going private (round here it's about £180), or you might be happy with the quadruple blood test (which is done a bit later but is less accurate) or you might be happy with no early screening (some women feel that as it can't give an absolute answer and they know they wouldn't have invasive testing, the early screening makes them worry more rather than less). They're all valid choices - but the screening options are time constrained so you do need to be aware of them.

Congratulations, though grin

loobylou13 Thu 09-Jun-11 12:52:17

if you cant get in soon would you be able to pay for a private scan?

The clinic near where i live will do them from £50 depending how many pics etc you want

LadyShapes Thu 09-Jun-11 13:38:59

Tangle - Umm, I don't know what a nuchal fold measurement is. So no I haven't thought about that. Is it a standard test they do?

I'm going back tomorrow for a proper appointment with the GP, so maybe I will ask about that. I will mention that it could already be 13 weeks - and hopefully get squeezed in sooner. I haven't really got any symptoms though, so I can't imagine I'm that far along.

Is there anything else I should ask about?

PS I realise I sound like a dunce, but I feel like I'm peering in the window of the pregnancy party wondering if I should go in, but feeling all uncertain because I'm wearing the wrong clothes and everyone already knows each other.

Tangle Thu 09-Jun-11 14:16:08

Sorry - the nuchal fold is a fluid filled pouch (?) at the back of the baby's neck. Babies with Down's Syndrome are likely to have a thicker nuchal fold than babies that are chromasomally normal. Combining the nuchal fold measurements with various markers from a maternal blood sample, maternal age and a couple of other measurements allows a risk to be calculated that the baby will be affected by Down's, Edward's or Patau's (also known collectively as Trisomies).

One thing to bear in mind is that its a screening test ( so the result will be either "high risk" - usually more than 1/300 or so - or "low risk"). If you're high risk, according to the cutoff your pct uses you'll be offered an invasive, diagnostic test - either cvs (where they take a sample from the placenta) or amniocentesis (where they take a sample of amniotic fluid). Both carry a 1% risk of miscarriage, but give an absolute answer. Most women who are screened as "high risk" will have a chromasomally normal baby. A few women who are screened as low risk will have have a baby with problems. There are also other (rare) conditions that can't be screened for and can cause problems at least as significant.

There isn't a right answer on whether to have the screening or not - but it's something that is offered to most pregnant women in the UK today that won't be an option for you for long if you are 13 weeks now.

Sorry that turned into a bit of an essay blush. hope it helps smile

Tangle Thu 09-Jun-11 14:20:14

Re prices for private scans - around here it's ~£50 for a reassurance or dating scan. If you want them to do a nuchal scan and blood work then it's nearer £170 or £180. But they do put lots of pictures and video clips on a cd for you.

LadyShapes Thu 09-Jun-11 14:29:22

Thanks. I will report back tomorrow!

LadyShapes Sat 18-Jun-11 11:29:18

Just an update - I got sent for an emergency scan by my GP, as he thought it was ectopic, so no worries about waiting - I got sent straight to A&E from the GP. They couldn't see anything from the scan, so I went back yesterday (after a week) for another internal scan. We saw a little sac, so it seems I am 5 weeks pregnant. Going back in 2 weeks to make sure it's all going ok.

PoppysMom Mon 20-Jun-11 06:15:44

Congratulations Lady!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now