Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

1 in 3 risk for Downs Syndrome

(5 Posts)
merche719 Thu 09-Jun-11 06:40:42

I had an NT scan yesterday and factoring in my age (38, soon 39), nuchal of 6.7mm, and no nasal bone, my DS risk is 1 in 3, for Edwards Syndrome 1 in 2. I was utterly shocked, and devastated, as was my husband. I did a CVS right away, and tomorrow will hear the results. It is terrible waiting. Yesterday I was convinced the pregnancy would need to be terminated . . now after reading some stories of happy results, I don't know - dare I have hope?? We also opted for a DNA chip, which means even if the Trisomy 13, 18, and 21 chromosomes are okay, they will check the DNA for any other chromosomal abnormalities. Has anyone had similar experience? What was the outcome?

ShowOfHands Thu 09-Jun-11 06:47:57

You must be so worried. I'm sorry.

Can I suggest you have a look at the antenatal tests and choices topic on here. There are, unfortunately, many MNers who have been and currently are going through this. Many have come out the other side and offer a lot of help and support.

The ARC website is also very good indeed.

lancashirewife Thu 09-Jun-11 06:54:46

So sorry to hear this. We had a dd with Edwards Syndrome and only found out at our 20 week scan. We decided not to continue as her problems were so severe it was only a matter of time.

I think you've been given great advice about ARC.

Also - as I'm sure you are aware there are such huge, varying degrees of any of these problems, mild to severe, which would impact on quality of life and so on. You need to speak to your consultant, and have a second, or 'another' opinion too. Every case is different....

Fingers crossed you get the best outcome from your tests.

lancashirewife Thu 09-Jun-11 06:57:34

(Forgot to say - we never had a nuchal scan so not sure if anything would have been picked up earlier for us. Just bog standard dating scan - our health trust don't offer them as routine. Have had nuchals since but only due to our 'history')

tiokiko Thu 09-Jun-11 07:58:32

I'm so sorry you're in this situation, can't imagine how you're feeling. Glad you will get the results tomorrow, and hope that you can get through today OK.

Was going to suggest ARC and the antenatal tests board - I found both very very helpful when considering CVS/amnio earlier this year.

Will keep everything crossed for you for the test results.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: