Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Size of placenta is inversely proportional to size of brain. Discuss.

(15 Posts)
Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 09-Jun-11 01:23:49

Or in other words, I am losing my everloving mind, people, and I need to know that I am not the only one.

On Saturday I told my two year old that we were going to a party. She loves parties, so she got incredibly excited, checked that there would be balloons, presents, etc., went careering around the house, insisted on picking out her favourite dress, etc., etc.

I'd got her dressed up, clutching a wrapped present and buckled into her car seat before I realised the party was Sunday not Saturday. Fine, at least I'll never do that again, I thought (oh, the wobbling lip, oh, the drama).

Except that last night we were due to meet an old friend for dinner so DH and DD and I all went to this restaurant (DD excited because she loves this friend, who taught her to clink glasses and say cheers back when she was about 15 months old), sat there for 40 minutes, finally raised the friend on the phone, who said "um, that's next week".

This morning I found the vegemite in the fridge. Later I carefully rugged DD up in a thick cable knit over a sweater, and a fuzzy hat, to combat the winter weather. Sent her out to the car while I grabbed my coat, came outside, realised I'd forgotten to put shoes on the poor child.

I'm thinking I shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised.

TopazMortmain Thu 09-Jun-11 01:31:37

I'm with you. This week have locked DH in the bathroom by mistake, accidentally sent an email to 1,000 people at work and left my clothes behind at someone's house after a yoga class.

hides under desk for the duration of gestation

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 09-Jun-11 02:02:33

I've just realised that the title might lead people to think I meant the size of the child's brain, and be freaking out anyone who thinks their bump is too big.

See? Losing my mind.

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 09-Jun-11 02:09:25

Ha ha!!

I've done the whole looking for something, wandering around the house for ages and realising the thing I am looking for is in my hand blush

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 09-Jun-11 02:35:41

Hello Kara, are you still in labour or what?

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 09-Jun-11 05:45:44

Still in latent phase.

Oh more pgcy related daffiness, keep telling DH I am having another transaction...

buttonmoon78 Thu 09-Jun-11 07:43:32

I was told with dc1 that I had the privilege of having the largest placenta and longest cord my vv experienced MW had ever seen.

Nuff said. I'm doomed.

PinkFondantFancy Thu 09-Jun-11 09:27:52

Sorry to laugh but this all feels so familiar! My DH is being very patient with me but I have done some ridiculous stuff these last few weeks. I think the classic so far is going to a MW appointment bursting for the loo as I knew she'd want a sample, going to the loo clutching the pot in my hand, and then in the sheer relief of being able to finally going to the loo, forgetting to actually pee in said pot........ Managed to get a tiny drip into it, then had to make-up some half-baked story about fumbling the pot when I was trying to put the lid on which is why there was so little in the pot, rather than admit the truth...

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 09-Jun-11 09:54:17

Pink - I did axactly the same thing only last week grin I told my MW what I did and she found it hilarious!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 09-Jun-11 09:54:32

And now I can't spell exactly blush

buttonmoon78 Thu 09-Jun-11 10:19:00

I have a growing collection of wee pots in my underwear drawer as I put them there to keep them safe after each appt. However, before each appt, when looking for said pots I can't find the buggers so I have to get a new one at the surgery.

Until the next morning when I look in the drawer for knickers and think 'oh, there they are' blush

freelancescientist Thu 09-Jun-11 11:15:47

When I was pg with DD I filled the car up with petrol, paid, and carefully got into the PASSENGER seat of my car. Shut the door, and looked expectantly at the empty driver's seat. I had to pretend to be looking for something in the glove box (not easy with a 35wk bump), then get out, walk round the car and into the driver's side.
The sad thing is it doesn't ever really come back properly.

Xiaoxiong Thu 09-Jun-11 11:54:22

I wish mine were all so funny and benign. I've been forgetting things at work and now my confidence is shot to hell sad

Even with a to-do list, I've been forgetting to cross things off so have done some things multiple times, and other things I've crossed off before I've actually done them. At least I haven't made any serious mistakes yet or missed any deadlines but I have a horrible looming feeling it's just a matter of time.

It's kind of scary actually, I feel really kind of out of control and no matter what I do (to do lists etc) I am still making dumb mistakes. I've always prided myself on being quick, accurate and reliable and now I feel like it's slipping away from me.

It hasn't gone unnoticed either, my boss sat me down to have a serious chat about how I wasn't on top of things a few weeks ago which is when I confessed to him I was 11 weeks pg.

My appraisal is next Thursday and I'm dreading it.

TopazMortmain Thu 09-Jun-11 13:09:29

Hey tyelperion how horrible to feel that way but rest assured your mind is still there, just a little distracted. Who will be conducting your appraisal?

What kind of software do you use at work? I only ask as I have found it helpful to create alarms and reminders for the entire day. For example - list of goals for today, alarm at midday to see if I have actually achieved any of them. I also have phone alarms to remind me to call meetings, go to meetings.

Also, I keep a clear desk and only what I am working on at that very second printed out of the desk. Plus every email I save as a draft and then review on the hour before I send (following the emailing thousands of people issue)

I'd concentrate on slowing right down and focus on accuracy. If speed if not a huge priority then let it go.

Not sure any of this helps but technology is definitely my friend.

PinkFondantFancy Thu 09-Jun-11 21:45:29

Hi tyelperion sorry you're having such a hard time. If it makes you feel better, I've been feeling exactly the same way - I have quite a high pressure job, albeit not safety or life-critical, luckily, and I have been making ridiculous, embarrassing mistakes pretty much from when I first missed my period.... It would be very unfair if they let the last few weeks colour their appraisal of your entire year's work though, and I would hope that they base your appraisal on your usual standards. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Are you tired? I was exhausted around your stage and it's impossible to concentrate when really all you can concentrate on doing is staying away for a whole working day. It might be worth having a chat with your GP - you sound very stressed sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: