Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

sneezing with a bump

(20 Posts)
Isthreetoomany Wed 08-Jun-11 21:39:55

does anyone else find whenever they sneeze they get a sharp pain at the bottom of their bump, like pulling a muscle somewhere? Or is it just me? I have hayfever atm, and I seem to keep feeling the same sharp pain every time!

VioletV Wed 08-Jun-11 21:44:49

Nope not just you. Happens to me too. Hurts!

nannyl Wed 08-Jun-11 22:03:19

happens to me too

ouch (am 26 weeks)

reenzeen Wed 08-Jun-11 22:04:48

It happens me too, also get it when I cough or clear my throat, it does be sore for a while after too- really annoying. How far on are you?? Im 36+5.

Isthreetoomany Wed 08-Jun-11 22:06:09

I'm only 16 weeks but still makes me sore

ThePieSmuggler Wed 08-Jun-11 22:08:07

And here was me thinking that this thread was about stress incontinence wink

Chipotle Wed 08-Jun-11 22:10:53

It happened to me during my pregnancy too... Bloody hurt!

Whatevertheweather Wed 08-Jun-11 22:14:12

24 weeks here and get the same pain! A short sharp pain that goes quickly. Apparently it's 'round ligament pain' and is fairly normal and totally harmless to the baby but ouch with hayfever!

supadupapupascupa Wed 08-Jun-11 22:15:09

like a sharp stitch! yes and i get it when I twist and turn in bed or on the sofa too

apricotears Wed 08-Jun-11 22:26:28

Yep, I get this too. A visiting physio at my ante-natal class told us about 'bracing' when you sneeze. I would not advise doing this in public as it involves firmly cupping your crutch with both hands when you sneeze! And it was actually more to control light bladder leakage, but I have found that it does help with the sore belly issue as well. Perhaps worth a try????

lolajane2009 Wed 08-Jun-11 23:01:38

yep and usually i wake up my son who usually lets me know his disapproval.

Isthreetoomany Wed 08-Jun-11 23:03:41

At 16 weeks hadn't thought about stress incontinence too - guess I have that to come smile

BronP Thu 09-Jun-11 09:48:24

Hi all,
I asked my midwife about this last week cause I was a bit worried, happens if I cough hard too. She said it's completely normal, but to hold on (to the bottom of my bump, about where the pain happens) as it's being caused by the loosening muscles and I might pull something if I'm not careful. So I look odd now standing still and holding on to sneeze and cough, but it does stop the pain. smile

dribbleface Thu 09-Jun-11 10:20:07

Yep me too, plus baldder weakness, its all glam isn't it!

TerrysNo2 Thu 09-Jun-11 11:11:35

Me too - its scary sneezing now. I think when you sneeze you put pressure on your abdomen and it stretches a bit causing the sharp pain.

LB1982 Thu 09-Jun-11 12:29:29

I've had this too and I'm only 13 weeks! I was very worried at first but on the good side I guessed it was because things are getting bigger in there and that's a good thing smile

sazzermol Thu 09-Jun-11 12:43:37

Me too! I've found that scrunching my knees up to me stops it too - although only really possible if you're sitting or lying down i suppose unless you want some VERY odd looks grin

KatieWatie Thu 09-Jun-11 15:02:03

Happens to me too, and I sneeze loads.
Thank god for this thread, I've been silently fretting about it!

iWILLdothis Thu 09-Jun-11 15:07:03

me too....not good with hayfever sad

Tealdoe Thu 09-Jun-11 15:20:21

I don't get this....but, ever since being pregnant i always do a double sneeze - ALWAYS! Just thought I'd share in case it's not just me!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: