Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

2nd pregnancy and getting very stressed over money can someone help??

(11 Posts)
Blackrain Wed 08-Jun-11 19:44:14

heres a quick question i worked 10 hrs a week for a year and then was offered a possible extension which was more hrs and more money. i found out i was pregnant 14th of february and my contract was terminated on the 21st of april. i have been looking for employment but no 1 wants to employ a woman who will be going on maternity leave in3.5 months time. does anyone know what i can claim? because i was working my tax credit payments this year only total to about £60 a month and although my husband is in full time employment he pays mortgage rates electric food internet phone television. and all otherhouse hold bills. i need to keep a car and so does he (we live in a rural area so he needs a car for work and i need mine for school runs etc) i am so scared and stressed at the thought of having this baby cause its gonna be more expense and less money itll be house cars bills 2 adults and 2 kids on less than 20,000 a year. and my own out goings are aprox £150 a month and ill only receive about £60 on tax credits and then £80 per child of child benefit. thats going to total £220. im really freaking out i ahve no idea how i will keep 2 kids and keep my car etc on that money can anyone help

Coppernoddle Wed 08-Jun-11 19:49:44

You need to phone them! Speak to your local job centre and they'll give you the number for maternity leave, I think it all depends on your test period and how much you've been paid in a 13 week period of your last employment!! Your better off phoning them as the website is really hard to understand! Good luck! X x x

Boosaphena Wed 08-Jun-11 20:12:32

You should be entitled to maternity allowance shouldn't you? I don't know how much tho. I think there's a form you can fill in on line that will give you an indication of what you're entitled to but I'm sure it must be more then what you are getting.
Good luck!

Blackrain Wed 08-Jun-11 20:17:19

thanks i've spken to local jobs and benefits office and i dont think they know what i'm entitled to. would just like to know so can be organised but they cant honestly expect me to live on tax credits and child benefit alone can they??

Boosaphena Wed 08-Jun-11 20:25:52

I'll see if I can find link, am a bit crap tho...

lucky24 Wed 08-Jun-11 20:27:15

Hi, I am in a similar position, I think you should get maternity allowance of 90% of your weekly salary (or £128.73 if you earned more) I have the leaflet here, i will copy out the eligibility section.

- Be pregnant or have recently given birth
- Not be entitled to maternity pay from employer
- Earned on avarage at least £30 a week
- Have been employed/self employed for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before EDD. The weeks don't have to be continuous and part weeks count as full weeks.

Phone number to claim is 0800 055 66 88. You will need your MATB1 from the midwife before applying.

HTH

Boosaphena Wed 08-Jun-11 20:27:25

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_4016805

lucky24 Wed 08-Jun-11 20:28:15

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

pinkytheshrinky Wed 08-Jun-11 20:34:22

I cannot find the link but you need to see if you have the qualifying period thing in your last job for Maternity Allowance - it is a set rule so you either fit it or you don't and (I know it is east for me to say) there is no point freaking out - it will work out. You know babies cost as much as you spend on them - cheap nappies when they are tiny are no problem and you are not starting from scratch.

If all the bills are taken care of then really you are not in all that bad a position - it will work out. Personally I think that amount of money will run a car no probs (unless it blows up or something!)

And many congratulations on your baby....

Milkybrew Wed 08-Jun-11 20:34:24

Not sure but I believe if your earnings are drastically different to the previous year you can ask tax credits to use this years earnings when calculating your entitlement. Also you may get more tax credits as you will have two children. With regard to child benefit you do not get 80 per child each month. Weekly rates are approximately £20 for 1st child, £13 for 2nd child.

Blackrain Wed 08-Jun-11 22:09:44

pinkytheshrinky thanks so much for the reply. the household bills are covered okay and yes it will cover day to day running but its the insurance, tax, serviceing and then the school costs aswell its £10 per week for my daughter to get school dinners and then theres the trips etc. i know about cheap nappies i used tesco napies all the time on my daughter cause pampers leaked and huggies gave her bad nappy rash. i also pay for phone bill and i need the phone as i care 12 hrs aweek for my grandmother and its her main line of contact to me. and then theres my credit card bill which ive been paying off for the past 5 years (i was working full time when i got it) thanks all for replies will get all looked into i think i might just have to apply for everything and see what i get back. everytime i contact them i get a different answer. lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: