Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Induction due to maternal age

(6 Posts)
cookie9 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:36:11

Had hospital appointment today and was told they want to induce me on my EDD due to my age. This is my first baby and I thought it was common for a first to be a little late. Not keen on induction as believe this will lead to epidural and higher risk of c section. Anyone else had experience of this policy?

latermater Wed 08-Jun-11 19:38:39

how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am ancient but was not induced for this (induced because waters had broken - eventually)

Jill72 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:41:16

How old are you? I ma 39 and fully expect them to feed me this line before long? It just seems to be one long champaign to ensure that I don't have a free of intervention birth. Getting more and more peed off with the nhs approach I can tell you - wouldn't mind if some one had actually sat down and GOD FORBID talked TOO ME rather than TELLING me what will happen - they have had no conversations with me that could even bring them near to making any decisions about my care AS AN INDIVIDUAL rather than just a statistics - grrrrr!

knackered76 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:43:49

Ask what the medical reason is. You don't have to be induced, you can suggest closer monitoring if needed. I have to say I've never heard of someone being induced due to their age.

cookie9 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:50:51

Sorry forgot to say am 40.
Thanks for the replies. After 3.5 hour wait to see doc was just too tired to argue as was in pain by then as forgot to take painkiller with me

mejon Wed 08-Jun-11 21:00:19

I'm 43 and was induced with DD2 4 months ago but only because she was 12 days 'overdue' and nothing at all to do with my age (well at least no-one mentioned it!). There was some initial concern that she may be on the larger side of normal as my 36 week scan had shown her to be nearly 7lbs at that stage and my MW didn't want me to go over by too long, but DD was born a diddy 7lb 2oz some 6 weeks later so the scan was obviously way out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: